When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMTs with 2893 Movements

Faide

Hi All,

Well ive been sufing this board for little while and come across the PAM GMT with 2893. Are there any other rep GMTs PAMs or ROLEX or any other brand that use the 2893?

Im especially intrigued with the fact that the 2893 seems to be modified because you are able to independantly adjust the HOUR hand and not the 24hr hand as in the modded 2836 and regular 2893.

Im not trying to ask this board for a simple who has the best GMT. I would rather just see your pics and learn some more about the different kinds of GMT movements available on reps. Also what your experiences of these are.

If this has already been discussed in another thread, please forgive me (and if possible post the link for me :)

Many thanks

_Faide

Hi All,

Well ive been sufing this board for little while and come across the PAM GMT with 2893. Are there any other rep GMTs PAMs or ROLEX or any other brand that use the 2893?

Im especially intrigued with the fact that the 2893 seems to be modified because you are able to independantly adjust the HOUR hand and not the 24hr hand as in the modded 2836 and regular 2893.

Im not trying to ask this board for a simple who has the best GMT. I would rather just see your pics and learn some more about the different kinds of GMT movements available on reps. Also what your experiences of these are.

If this has already been discussed in another thread, please forgive me (and if possible post the link for me :)

Many thanks

_Faide

There are some RX GMTs II (reps) with 2893 ...... but are hard to find.

River may have some of these.

Edited by AMK000

Just to let you know that the ETA 2893 movement is not (in my opinion) a TRUE GMT movement.

- You CANNOT independently adjust the hour hand.

- You CAN independently adjust the 24 hour GMT hand, which will jump from hour to hour, at the correct point (eg. if it is 4:30 and you adjust it, the 24 hour hand will be halfway between the hour markers).

The modified ETA 2836 movement does this too but I have never seen them in action.

The genuine R*l*x GMT Master and Omega Seamaster GMTs have independently adjustable HOUR hands, not 24 hour GMT hands.

Chronus is right with how the movement works as I have a 2893. I don't know how a true GMT is supposed to work but it makes sense to me that if you are travelling internationally, you want to keep the 24 hr hand set at your home time or Greenwich mean time or whatever you want. You want to have the ability to move the hours back and forth by to adjust them to your current time zone while having the 24 hand stay put. With the 2893, when you change the hour setting, the GMT hand moves in sync with it to the new setting and merely functions as a 24 hr hand. If you want to to remain at your home time, after you set the hours, you have to set the gmt hand back to where it was. Having said that, the movement works great and is the same movement as the gen 029 and 063.

Thanks guys...i suppose i misread. I had assumed that someone had modded the 2893 so that the hour hand was independantly adjustable like in the gen GMT Master II and Seamaster GMT.

So it would seem that the difference between the 2893 and the modded 2836 is that the 2893 jumps in 1 hour intervals when set while the 2836 moves smoothly...correct?

_Faide

The 2893 does allow the GMT hand to "Jump" to the next hour when being set, but tracks smoothly with time. The big difference is the 2893 is designed with this capability whereas the 2836 has to be modified.

I have a 2893 Exp II and an 063. Both keep excellent time.

Climb on.

My modded 2836-2 Exp2 does have independently adjustable hour hand. The GMT hand is adjusted with the minute hand. Unlike the gen Rolex Exp2, the hour hand can only be adjusted forward, and the date changes with the GMT hand at 24. The gen Exp2 date changes with the hour hand and has no date quickset.

u guys make good points. I also have a Omega GMT and yes, the hour hand can be set which jumps hour at a time. But i have something that i've wanting to ask for so long, and this topic seems about right to do so...hehe

ok, you all have stated that the 2893 has the GMT hand which jumps a hour at a time when we set it. Can we not just make the hour hand sit on the "GMT wheel" and have the GMT hand sit on the "Hour wheel"? obviously we need to re-adjust the hand size for both but wouldn't that technically get rid of this little issue?

Because this way, wouldnt the hour hand be adjustable now? and it will jump hour at a time? and since the hour wheel and GMT wheel all run in sync when not in setting mode, that should solve it shouldn't it?

The advantage of an ETA 2893 over a modded ETA 2836 (with either independent hour or GMT hand) is that you can get parts for the 2893 if it needs repair, while the modded ETA will have problems as it is modified in China to specifications no one knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Faide,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I haven't seen this thread. I picked up my 2893 powered EXP II from River. I don't think he has any left, but the last time I checked he did have a few 2893 GMT IIs available. There are some flaws on these you should know. First is the hand stack and the GMT hand is a bit shorter and thicker than the gen or even some of the newer 2836 modified EXP IIs/GMTs. Still, I prefer the movement so the flaws don't bother me at all. Also, the date font is a bit off, but again, it doesn't bother me. My EXP II is my daily wearer and it keeps time spot on.

Climb on.

u guys make good points. I also have a Omega GMT and yes, the hour hand can be set which jumps hour at a time. But i have something that i've wanting to ask for so long, and this topic seems about right to do so...hehe

ok, you all have stated that the 2893 has the GMT hand which jumps a hour at a time when we set it. Can we not just make the hour hand sit on the "GMT wheel" and have the GMT hand sit on the "Hour wheel"? obviously we need to re-adjust the hand size for both but wouldn't that technically get rid of this little issue?

Because this way, wouldnt the hour hand be adjustable now? and it will jump hour at a time? and since the hour wheel and GMT wheel all run in sync when not in setting mode, that should solve it shouldn't it?

Didn't notice this before, but this hand swap wouldn't work. All it would do is make the GMT hand act as an hour hand, and the hour hand would then be in position to act as a 24 hour hand. It would still revolve around 24 hours instead of 12 hours as the genuine Omega GMT.

The genuine Omega GMT does not use an ETA 2893 movement, it is an in-house mostly Omega movement, probably a very heavily modified ETA ebauche. This one has independently adjustable hour hand, backwards and forwards. There is no quick set, and a full 24 hours (from 12 o'clock) has to be clicked round to advance the date by one day. I know you're putting in genuine parts to your GMT watch. No idea how much everything is costing you, but a second hand one in great condition is around USD1000 at most, fair condition you may get one for USD700-800 on eBay. Timezone's sales corner is worth taking a look at if you go that route.

Back to the 2893, the 2nd crown position will allow advancing of the 24 hour hand in one direction only. Turning the crown in the opposite direction will advance the date.

Hope this helps anyone interested.

:victory:

• 3 weeks later...