When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC 3717

Guest chronomat123

Guest chronomat123

My girlfriend is in Gainesville, 300 miles away, and I'm here mindblowingly $$$$$$$$$hitfaced on RWG. Would rather be in the bedroom but that's not an option tojnight. Just got home from a long Jameson fueled night. Anyway, this IS watch-related, to a certain extent. Ran into a buddy from high school, total rich kid-- he was wearing a s/s Submariner. His friend had, of all things, a genuine IWC 3717. I was wearing my rep 3717 and told him mine was a fake. After we compared watches, we were both truly shocked at how good of a rep this is. I just put my genuine IWC 3706 Fliegerchrono for sale because I love the 3717 rep so much.

Anyway, thought that might help anyone who was on the wall about this watch. Go for it.

wooooooooooooooo

Guest chronomat123
My girlfriend is in Gainesville, 300 miles away, and I'm here mindblowingly $$$$$$$$$hitfaced on RWG. Would rather be in the bedroom but that's not an option tojnight. Just got home from a long Jameson fueled night. Anyway, this IS watch-related, to a certain extent. Ran into a buddy from high school, total rich kid-- he was wearing a s/s Submariner. His friend had, of all things, a genuine IWC 3717. I was wearing my rep 3717 and told him mine was a fake. After we compared watches, we were both truly shocked at how good of a rep this is. I just put my genuine IWC 3706 Fliegerchrono for sale because I love the 3717 rep so much.

Anyway, thought that might help anyone who was on the wall about this watch. Go for it.

wooooooooooooooo

Noticed two things by the way. the seconds hand sweeps far more smoothly on the gen-- mine is a slow beat. Also the AR on mine is quite good but the aar ON THE GEN IS RIDICULOUS. ya heard.

Noticed two things by the way. the seconds hand sweeps far more smoothly on the gen-- mine is a slow beat. Also the AR on mine is quite good but the aar ON THE GEN IS RIDICULOUS. ya heard.

ridiculously good? i saw the pilot watch the other day in the AD but they didnt have the chrono version.. and the AR on that was very similar to the rep.. but the only thing that i noticed a difference off is the 3,6,9,12 markers.. on the rep it looks like a stick on thick double tape.. but then ive never seen a gen 3717 so i dunno maybe u can comment on this :)

When you see a watch at an AD, it never shows the true AR on the crystal, due to the lighting etc.... If you were to take a gen and a rep into normal daylight conditions and wear both for a day, the difference would be very obvious.

For example, I wore a UPO the other day and had a look from the outside of an AD a the 45mm gen in the window, and the AR looks very similar. However, when I wear my Breitling Aerospace (which has a similar AR coat to a gen PO) and compare it to the AR on the UPO, there is no comparison.

I have had the benefit of staring at both the gen and the rep on the 3717 and I have to agree that is is one of the best reps out of the box currently. By the way, on the AR it is going to vary dramatically from maker to maker and model to model. In general Breitling has some of the best Ar coating of any gen manufacturer. Their coating is far better than the IWC. And I have to say that the Chieftang double AR coat is better than 99% of gens. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

So, whether drunk or sober enjoy that 3717. :) And if the second hand bugs you buy the high beat version. I could not discern a major difference.

Hmm, I guess I feel pretty good then about getting my 3717 double AR coated by Chieftang, it's really a spectacular rep now. Plus, mine has the high beat 28.8k movement, which sweeps very smoothly, much more so than the old 21k movement.

So, if you guys haven't gotten in on a Chieftang AR run, DO IT :thumbsupsmileyanim:

286020-8498.jpg

This is one rep that I "should" be pretty hyped on, but for whatever reason I am just not.

IWC's have really grown on me, but this one is more on the end of the spectrum of their line that I tend to not be as excited by. They're more traditional and 'classic', but they're also relatively plain. My fave reps are usually the less classic models. More of the Cousteau Divers flavour.

AR has become a 'deal-break' issue for me, and it was since I joined the forum.

I agree with the post about the uPO. It really isn't comparable to the gen, in terms of AR, and as a result it is a pretty big sign of being fake. It's not even about that for me...I love AR generally. For example, the Patek Nautilus surely doesn't come with AR on the gen, but if I get one, I am going to have it AR'd. I can only imagine how awesome the blue-ish dial would look with a solid double coated crystal.

Maybe I'll come around on the 3717, but unless it was a double-AR'd crystal, it will get supplanted by something more modern and 'flashy'. I'm also probably a little younger than the average member (25 y/o), which may factor in...