When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

iPhone and RWG?

I'm no coorporate lawyer by any means nor do I have any formal training in business. I'm not so pompous to believe that my opinion is right when everyone else is wrong but I fail to see how MS is a monopoly given that the fact that other companies exist.

The US Government, in 1998, declared Microsoft a Monopoly. Fact, not opinion.

They also said there were WMDs in Iraq. :p

:lol:

Yeah, fair point, but ... not one that changes the fact that MS is a Monopoly that has been found guilty of abusing said monopoly by several courts across the world. I think it's safe to say yes, they are a monopoly. I don't know why you can't see it, but I'll assume you could be convinced given enough evidence.

Disclaimer: I do not own MS stock nor have any interest in, or association with, the company. I simply think that a lot of the EU anti-trust laws against MS (that resulted in Windows N or whatever) are a bunch of BS.

Just catching up.....must say my thoughts are exactly Pug's (albeit a little less eloquent).

Personally I applaud EU legislators ruling MS had violated anti-trust laws and hit them for $600 million or whatever it was. God knows someone has to stand up to Darth Gates and the Evil Empire.

Oh and as for fairness, I recall Apple being similarly hauled up for similar issues in France re. iTunes.

I don't think MS forces anyone to do anything e.g. Dell is now selling PCs with Linux installed on them. I believe that they would like to sell OSX-based machines but Apple has said no.

... and this is because the courts ordered Microsoft to stop forcing the PC makers to install Windows. No, I'm not joking.

"An aspect of Microsoft's pricing behavior that, while not tending to prove monopoly power, is consistent with it is the fact that the firm charges different OEMs different prices for Windows, depending on the degree to which the individual OEMs comply with Microsoft's wishes." - Civil Action No. 98-1232 (TPJ) - UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, Plaintiff, vs. MICROSOFT CORPORATION, Defendant.