When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

iPhone and RWG?

I was wondering if any of you guys have tried navigation of the RWG boards with the iPhone? If you have, how is it and does everything work? Just looking for input.....Thanks!

It works fine in fact most of my replies have been composed from my iphone

PSP also works :D

Can't wait for the EU 3G iPhone not the 'retro' version launched in the US ;)

Finally an OS X-running Crackberry-killer, just hope it will be available without having to pony up for an 02 (of all the networks! :o ) contract :pray:

I (EU based) had the possibility to play with a (US) friends IPhone for a couple of hours.... it is a very cool toy, with the usual Apple "Whow" factor. (i.E. few things on this device are revolutionary, but you still crave one) What it is not, is a crackberry killer because it doesn't and will not have push-mail. If you want or need push-mail, forget IPhone V.1

The IPhone's biggest downers in my eyes: you cannot install extra software. You have to do with what's installed on the phone. No possibility to add storage capacity. Built in camera shoots no video. No G3.

The best features: The touch screen and interface, the voicemail feature (Apple style), the screen that turns when you turn the phone, the way it displays your pictures. To me it is a great new IPod Video, with only 8Gig storage and good (but not state of the art) phone capabilities.

Having said all that.... I'll still buy one, once they come out in EU - it's got the "Wow" factor....

In the U.S. most of my friends are waiting for V.2 and the ability to utilize the faster AT&T network. I did have the opportunity to try one and the internet is so slow that you won't use it. The other problem is that it is not being allowed on many corporate networks so the primary buyers are going to be technophiles, rich housewives and rich teenagers.

I (EU based) had the possibility to play with a (US) friends IPhone for a couple of hours.... it is a very cool toy, with the usual Apple "Whow" factor. (i.E. few things on this device are revolutionary, but you still crave one) What it is not, is a crackberry killer because it doesn't and will not have push-mail. If you want or need push-mail, forget IPhone V.1

The IPhone's biggest downers in my eyes: you cannot install extra software. You have to do with what's installed on the phone. No possibility to add storage capacity. Built in camera shoots no video. No G3.

The best features: The touch screen and interface, the voicemail feature (Apple style), the screen that turns when you turn the phone, the way it displays your pictures. To me it is a great new IPod Video, with only 8Gig storage and good (but not state of the art) phone capabilities.

Having said all that.... I'll still buy one, once they come out in EU - it's got the "Wow" factor....

Jealous, I too would like a preview, how does the 'pinch' gesture work in practice? Two queries though....

1. No push email??? Not according to Apple...."iPhone supports the most popular email standards

apply says no software unless its browser based

PUSH means MS outlook or Blackberry - Screw yahoo bs.

I read the forum regularly on my blackjack it has fast internet. I used to have slow internet, edge on my last devices, its PAINFUL to read the forums, forget about it. Wait till it does real speed. They did it to make the battery life longer, cause the faster internet eats up battery -

Also, only 10% of the country use fast dsl services on phones, so they figure they are selling to the other 90%. It will be out with fast access in the europe soon cause they demand that stuff,. not like us, and figure out by christmas or spring at the latest with fast itnernet here.

apply says no software unless its browser based

PUSH means MS outlook or Blackberry - Screw yahoo bs.

It will be out with fast access in the europe soon cause they demand that stuff,. not like us

Push email in the iPhone's case actually utilises Mac Mail app (makes Outlook look ancient) and push actually means 'always on' instant transfer from mail server to device. Most smartphones here in EU (e.g. Nokia N73, N95 etc) support it same as Blackberry. What I don\t get is the tieup with Yahoo....when Apple has their own subscriber mail service as part of the .Mac subscription. God knows it's extortionately high priced for what you get at the moment, so this seems a further snub to loyal DotMaccers.

And yeah we 'demand' 3G, so would you if the networks bid billions for the licences and passed the cost onto us the consumers, yet even in central London getting a decent and consistent 3G signal is a crap shoot :thumbdown:

I don't get these "iPhone doesn't do Push email" comments. The Yahoo mail for the iPhone is as Push as the Blackberry. Don't believe the naysayers.

Those who are complaining their Yahoo isn't pushing stop complaining after a phone reboot.

I don't get these "iPhone doesn't do Push email" comments. The Yahoo mail for the iPhone is as Push as the Blackberry. Don't believe the naysayers.

Those who are complaining their Yahoo isn't pushing stop complaining after a phone reboot.

Seems to be a growing band of Apple naysayers these days, gone are the good old days when us Mac users just went about our business pretty much unnoticed and the iPod was a 5 gig brick that only worked with a Firewire enabled Mac ;)

Do you have any insight into the .Mac snub, Pugs? Just that my renewal is up in Sept and for the first time in 10 years, I'm thinking of giving it the boot.

Do you have any insight into the .Mac snub, Pugs? Just that my renewal is up in Sept and for the first time in 10 years, I'm thinking of giving it the boot.

.Mac no longer has any USP. I'd wait until the next OS upgrade to see if it's got any nice hooks, but if there's nothing new, I'd drop it.

... and yes, Apple is getting the backlash as no-one likes a winner.

I don't get these "iPhone doesn't do Push email" comments.

It stems from the fact that it only does Yahoo push and for other people who have exchange servers that push their corporate e-mail to them, it won't work with that.

I see no reason why lots of the missing features e.g. proper push, chat, etc. won't be added as an update. Of course, things like 3G will need updated hardware; be it a European/global release or iPhone 2.

I will not be getting one but my sis, who is a Mac head, is interested. Since I'm the "techie" in the family (and our friends) my advice to her has been to wait though and not be a beta tester for Apple. IMO, this phone is missing some stuff and has some bugs to be worked out still. I don't own one (though I've used one for about an hour to play with) but reading too many disturbing things on some forums e.g. Howardforums, from users. I am impressed that I'm not reading that many bugs though; especially for a 1st gen device that is the company's first foray into the mobile market.

Love the iPhone. Surfing on a device so compact is a revelation. Not sure what all the griping is about. Mine doesn't appear to have 'bugs', but perhaps I have The One that works as advertised. Gmail and my work email push fine. This is not just checking on a regular basis. My iphone often alerts me of an incoming work email before my laptop (on the dock hardwired at the office). Edge is not lightning fast, but I have no complaints about accessing internet/email anywhere. Switching between wifi and Edge is seamless in my experience - it's done automatically.

286814-7975.jpg

Gmail and my work email push fine. This is not just checking on a regular basis. My iphone often alerts me of an incoming work email before my laptop.

It is not possible for Gmail to "push just fine" given that it's not push e-mail.

You may have some kind of timed auto check set up which kind of accomplishes the same thing e.g. I have Outlook set to check my school account every 15 minutes. However, this is not the same as saying I have push e-mail (even if I set it to check every minute).

What you have amounts to auto pull rather than push.

What you have amounts to auto pull rather than push.

I'm sure you're right about the pull and push stuff. I'm really not an IT expert or power user - just an iPhone owner. I just know that my email gets to my iPhone before I see it across outlook or the auto gmail icon in my system tray. For me, at least, this is fast enough. For others, whatever delay there is may not be acceptable. For those folks, I hope an iPhone v2 comes out.

When on Edge, an "E" symbol appears in its place.

One thing I don't like about Edge, and this is not specific to the iPhone, is that when you're using it to browse the web you cannot receive incoming calls (I think they'll go to voicemail).

This is not an issue when using wireless (which is also much faster).

I see no reason why lots of the missing features e.g. proper push, chat, etc. won't be added as an update. Of course, things like 3G will need updated hardware; be it a European/global release or iPhone 2.

Neither RIM (Blackberry) nor Microsoft (Exchange) will allow push to work on third-party phones. Microsoft in particular use this feature-lock to sell Windows Mobile to handset developers.

Propriety lock-in to Windows and MS Office is what Microsoft do. Don't expect a change any time this lifetime.

So, if by "proper push" you mean "push written by either RIM or MS" then no, you will never see your definition of "proper push" on an iPhone, by design. If, however, you know how to get your mail forwarded to Yahoo (trivial) then you can have Push all day long today.

It works fine in fact most of my replies have been composed from my iphone

Same here. Love the Iphone, and use the web to navigate. Sometimes the Edge network is slow, but hey its better than not having access at all when there is no wi-fi signal.

So, if by "proper push" you mean "push written by either RIM or MS" then no, you will never see your definition of "proper push" on an iPhone, by design. If, however, you know how to get your mail forwarded to Yahoo (trivial) then you can have Push all day long today.

You can get fired or, at the very least, reprimanded by some companies for forwarding coorporate e-mail to a public e-mail provider like Yahoo.

Not a big deal for many people (like I could do it no problem with my e-mail since I don't work for such a company) but, depending on where you work, it could be an issue (just like some places don't allow camera phones).

PS Talking about proprietary with regards to MS, etc. is kind of a wash. Lots of companies do the same. Hell, look at the iPhone battery replacement. You can't even change that for yourself and have to send in your phone to get it done for a hefty fee. IMO, the ultimate example of propietaryness (yes, I made that word up) is that Apple software can only be installed on Apple hardware (OS X, I mean). It's possible to put it on "regular PC" components in some instances but lots of times you have to go with very specific hardware cause of lack of driver support (there are lots of websites out there with info about what might work for an OSX install). To me, this is one of Apple's strengths in that they only have to write for a limited hardware subset and don't have issues like with Vista where people are crying cause their GFX card doesn't have good support for drivers but, it's still very limiting. It's also ironic to me that when MS does the same and includes certain software in their OSes (that they are sure will work with their code, etc.) they get hit with fines and anti-trust suits for being a monopoly and "shutting out the competition".

PPS Regarding MS not allowing Exchange on 3rd-party phones, I remember reading a whole back that Exchange support would be included on the iPhone some time in the future. Of course, until that happens, it's just another rumour. The source was more credible than usual though and it's one I tend to believe. Like I said, I see no reason why Apple can not release a lot of the missing features via a software update e.g. people complaining about the keyboard only working for one app in landscape mode (they could make it work all the time for all apps).

It's also ironic to me that when MS does the same and includes certain software in their OSes (that they are sure will work with their code, etc.) they get hit with fines and anti-trust suits for being a monopoly and "shutting out the competition".

Ironic? Then you've missed the whole point of Monopoly legislation. Apple are not a Monopoly, so they don't have to play by the same rules Microsoft does. It's a huge legal distinction caused by their abuse of their monopoly position. Apple has to compete on their strengths, whereas, without these laws, Microsoft can compete purely on their monopoly position, forcing PC manufacturers to pre-install Windows, for instance.

PPS Regarding MS not allowing Exchange on 3rd-party phones, I remember reading a whole back that Exchange support would be included on the iPhone some time in the future.

Exchange support over IMAP. Until someone reverse-engineers the closed-source proprietary Exchange protocols, much like the Samba project, you're never going to get 100% exchange support without paying Microsoft, and Microsoft won't sell to someone that takes sales away from Windows Mobile devices without a court order.

Ironic? Then you've missed the whole point of Monopoly legislation. Apple are not a Monopoly, so they don't have to play by the same rules Microsoft does. It's a huge legal distinction caused by their abuse of their monopoly position. Apple has to compete on their strengths, whereas, without these laws, Microsoft can compete purely on their monopoly position, forcing PC manufacturers to pre-install Windows, for instance.

I'm no coorporate lawyer by any means nor do I have any formal training in business. I'm not so pompous to believe that my opinion is right when everyone else is wrong but I fail to see how MS is a monopoly given that the fact that other companies exist. Of course, I understand that they have a lot of bargaining power, etc. given their size and resources and they can use that to their advantage but I still don't consider them a monopoly.

The fact that there is one internet company in the entire country where my parents live classifies said company as a monopoly in my book given that they're the only game in town (and their prices reflect that). MS, while the biggest player on the market by far, isn't what I'd consider a monopoly given that there are other players available.

I don't think MS forces anyone to do anything e.g. Dell is now selling PCs with Linux installed on them. I believe that they would like to sell OSX-based machines but Apple has said no.

Obviously monopolies are bad as they lead to stagnation through lack of competition leading to improvements and innovation but I simply don't buy into the "oooh, they won't let us play. They're a big bad monopoly" that a lot of companies throw at MS. If their 3rd party software, etc. is worth it, people will use it over included apps.

Exchange support over IMAP.

Whoops, you're right. I forgot that was the case.

Disclaimer: I do not own MS stock nor have any interest in, or association with, the company. I simply think that a lot of the EU anti-trust laws against MS (that resulted in Windows N or whatever) are a bunch of BS. Also, I have nothing against Apple. People can use whatever the hell the feel like.