When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What the hell is this schmutz on my new $400 watch!?!?!

Corgi

my advice is get a caseback opener and some silicon lube for gaskets... will cost not more than $15 if you get a sticky ball and a gasket luber from ofrei.. that way you can easily do it yourself in five minutes and save the $$$ for the cost of the service... i cant see paying more for a service job than a new movement cost... if one watch happens to leak still you saved enough money to get a few new watches anyways.... as for the bracelet... i would definately ask the dealer for a replacement.. i dont know who the watch is from but my supplier would always take care of an issue like that by sending new parts.... you should ask.

He said I can either send my current bracelet back for replacement or pay 120$ for a new bracelet.

I kept this bracelet. Cleaned it with a white pencil eraser and rubbed it with my fingers while wearing some soft cloth plain white gloves.

I would say the watch is fixed.

Thanks guys -

You have to admit though... it's a nice watch!

He said I can either send my current bracelet back for replacement or pay 120$ for a new bracelet.

I kept this bracelet. Cleaned it with a white pencil eraser and rubbed it with my fingers while wearing some soft cloth plain white gloves.

I would say the watch is fixed.

Thanks guys -

You have to admit though... it's a nice watch!

ahemm just like I told you, yes

I have this exact same watch from Josua also. Don't you think the date wheel is too "Golden" The magnifier a bit distorted?

Other than that I think it's fantastic. If the gold does ever start to wear off, I'll just give it to one of them pesky homeless beggars and say, " You want a quarter? Congratulations. Here is a watch worth $7,000".

I have this exact same watch from Josua also. Don't you think the date wheel is too "Golden" The magnifier a bit distorted?

I have not handled a gen TT sub... but from what I can tell both the date font, date wheel gold background, and magnifier are excellent on my piece. My watch has an unfathomable diver's extension, though... I have to wrestle it open and one time it jammed into the skin linking my finger with my fingernail resulting in severe bleeding.

If the gold does ever start to wear off, I'll just give it to one of them pesky homeless beggars and say, " You want a quarter? Congratulations. Here is a watch worth $7,000".

Where did that come from...?

LOL

I had a gen from 1999 to 2003. I had to sell it due to financial problems. This rep is really nice and in my opinion passes for gen on the wrist. But the date and magnifier is definitely not what I remember.

I had never tried the diver extention as the watch is a replica and I feel lucky that most of the functions work.

As far as the gold plating, I have read that this watch is not recommended as a daily wearer because it is plated.

So then the question becomes "How long will it last".

I figure just as long as any gold plated Seiko.

All I can say is God Bless the Chinese people!

I agree! Chinese people are excellent... and by the way, this beauty's wrapped to 15mils, not plated! That's what the huge price inconsistency covers.

Here are some pictures I took today of the cleaned, schmutz-free sub that has quickly become a personal favorite of mine because of its unique, sparkling blue face.

Time to do it proper:

290961-5330.jpg

290961-5331.jpg

290961-5332.jpg

290961-5333.jpg

290961-5334.jpg

290961-5335.jpg

What do you think guys? A good investment or what?

Personally, I adore it. God only knows whether it is waterproof... but it has the smoothest and most crisp crown operation of any of my Rolexes, it keeps flawless quartz-accurate time, it has no dust under the surface, it has no blemishes on the hour markers, and the bracelet muck has almost completely dissapeared. This one will be one my wrist for a long time, friends.

Thanks for your help everyone!

(Especially Narikaa - of course :))

Hi Corgi ...

sweet pictures indeed lets me rethink my feelings towards the TT ... im happy u found a painless solution to the problem that looked really badin the begining ... good we have people like Reg on the boards with the knowledge of these easy fixes :)

wera it well ... regards laz

Yes - the box and books were a $75 addition. Since the purchase of that watch, they are an $88 addition. Quality of the box itself, especially the little wavy part on the top which is not pictured, is not excellent... the little ripples have bubbles in them and the hang tag has fading on it and one of the strings came undone... I got a gen hangtag on ebay for about $2 (I know - how lame is that? a gen hang tag?) Also, the plastic bezel protector was included for free by Joshua as a gift - I did not mention I wanted one nor does it officially come with the box.

It's a fun thing to own though... makes for very impressive photos.

The large book is free catalogue from the dealership. When I walk into one, they practically throw them at me... :)