When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are we in crisis?

Maikel

forums such as? -.- the "site circuit" as i like to call it is limited to 4... as far as I know

Such as other ones than here. Recently, Andrew made an offer on RepGeeks of a "Member's Special" on a Chopard. Nice enough watch, but it's hardly what I'd consider something likely to grab people's (as in the everyday collectors) attention. Had it been an offer on a Sub, SMP or something equally popular, then I'd've said "Yes, great gesture!" as it was though, it smacked of someone trying to offload less popular stock under the guise of doing someone a favor. When was the last time Andrew or Joshua actually posted here in regular discussion as part of the community?

they don't post anymore because everyone knows where to find their website and the reality is this: So many people lurk and whatnot then go buy these reps that they no longer need to 'advertise' or anything like that

sad but true :X

just look at the latest HBB edition.. from that thread alone you'd think it wouldn't sell a single unit but the pre-orders i was candidly given says otherwise..

someone else mentioned it before.. these sites gets hits by the millions, there's a ton of lurkers and all they need to find is one website and that's it, the entire catalogue of reps is available to them so they know where to go

Absolutely, but even so, type Replica Watches into google, and you'll get EuroFakes up on page two or three. The Cartel (and even other recommended collectors) sites are way down in terms of positioning, so where are these millions of hits coming from? These forums? I doubt these forums get millions of hits every day...

me.. I kinda am anxiously awaiting "special days" .. "specials days" I missed out on, those threads i dig up and read on about chinese holiday new year specials.. or even better, this coming xmas and see what kinda 'specials' or 'deals' will be available..

I mean shoot, if I can get a black magic for $400ish, I'm so gonna be all over that, lol

Have to admit, I'm no fan of the HBB's, but I do like the look of the Black Magic (wouldn't ever buy one though, as I'd never wear it)

It would be interesting to know how many orders Silix has had for the new line. I'd guess most of the orders have been by members here. There darned thread has been going on forever and I've already placed my order.

If the rep makers were listening, I'd like to let them know to come out with a few "odd" vintage models. I know that if somebody introduced a vintage nodate Tudor Sub., there would be tons of orders from here alone. Maybe even an Omega 300 diving watch. The possibilities are endless.

I ordered one of the vintage Subs from Silix, but, only because it was an easier (and cheaper) alternative than me trying to modify a contemporary Submariner case into something available circa 1953 (which is still my ultimate goal) If it wasn't for the fact that the case is without crown guards, I wouldn't've bought one. I'll definitely be replacing the bezel insert, and most likely replacing the dial as well, but, I don't mind paying that price for a case which is what I want 'out of the box', and saves me the hassle of grinding one down... Indeed, I be interested to know how many orders there were as well.

I ordered one of the vintage Subs from Silix, but, only because it was an easier (and cheaper) alternative than me trying to modify a contemporary Submariner case into something available circa 1953 (which is still my ultimate goal) If it wasn't for the fact that the case is without crown guards, I wouldn't've bought one. I'll definitely be replacing the bezel insert, and most likely replacing the dial as well, but, I don't mind paying that price for a case which is what I want 'out of the box', and saves me the hassle of grinding one down... Indeed, I be interested to know how many orders there were as well.

I purchased my two Silix Bond Subs for the same reason - I wanted the cases only for the starting point of my early Sub projects - I want to make a Turn-O-Graph and a Bond Sub. Cheers

I think we truthfully can't fight the monster, it's bigger than us, and i can't seriously beleive that as a whole, we make a sufficient impact on sales for it to respond to our request or even any actions we take to control this game.

We can't stop anybody from buying an HBB for 450, and not even when the same watch hits 800

Believe it or not, the HBB at $400 for the SS version, I actually don't feel is a huge rip-off....if you look at it in the context of the SFSO and Cousteau. That's the big qualifier. The ceramic/rose-gold for twice as much money? That's a straight up rip job.

I'm thinking of taking a break from collecting for a while. The new Aquatimer and the new Tag don't really appeal to me a whole lot. The MBW PP Nautilus is awesome, but I've heard that the Chinese makers are planning on doing the range of Nautilus' in the relatively near future. I am going to try to trade my old model, discontinued Breitling Chrono Avenger Ti for a SFSO, and then I think I'm done for probably a year at least.

I would have a uPO, a HBB SS, a Cousteau and a SFSO. So basically I'm the biggest hypocrite in the world for rebelling against the new business model of the rep industry, with the over-priced super-reps. But I'm done after I either sell or trade my way into the SFSO.

I'm not enjoying it as much, and I don't like where things are heading.....

Hey Mezzanine, this hobby is not just about buying new watches. We can always enjoy the great reps that we already have. :)

But I'm in the same boat... I'm not going to buy reps that cost more than $400. That won't stop me enjoying my old ones. My ETA Bond Seamaster rep is over 2 years old and I enjoy it just as much as the day I received it.

Hey Mezzanine, this hobby is not just about buying new watches. We can always enjoy the great reps that we already have. :)

But I'm in the same boat... I'm not going to buy reps that cost more than $400. That won't stop me enjoying my old ones. My ETA Bond Seamaster rep is over 2 years old and I enjoy it just as much as the day I received it.

That's the key, I think. I've been on a pretty steady run since I first got involved in the forum- and I haven't really cycled into a less active buying phase where I just enjoy what I have. I've been chasing that enigmatic notion of getting "an even better rep" the next time. I think I'm frustrated by the fact I know I'm 'caught', with the new super-reps...and this goes back to our earlier discussion in this thread. I only want the super-reps, because I really like the models that have been introduced, and obviously the high quality finishing, etc...

And at the same time I'm frustrated with what I'm seeing with the pricing. It's not the same as when I started an got my Tag Link Chrono or SMP, and could afford to buy a few watches without it being a major financial consideration. That was the whole initial appeal for me.

This latest thing with the new Big Bang for some reason is really bugging me. Maybe it's that I can't keep on chasing now, being that they're moving out of my price range, and it's like some heroin junkie who is [censored] that they can't afford the China White or whatever it was that Travolta was sold on in Pulp Fiction. The funny thing is that, when I look at the reps I've got (the cousteau should be here by next week), I'm totally content, and still find myself enjoying the watches I've had for six months or longer. So that tells me that I should take a break and enjoy what I've already got, and re-evaluate what it is that keeps me excited about the hobby...

I thought the "Are We in Crisis?" referred to the forum and the lack of dealer participation and or offerings. And on that I thought the answer would be not in crisis but RWG is largely being ignored by the larger dealers as there is more downside than upside to offering wares here. They are here only enough to make sure members can find them. The Forum now demands accurate descriptions from its dealers. New models get quickly raked over the coals. People [censored] about prices, etc. The other forums are more seller friendly. In theory this is the way it should be if the forum sticks to one of its fundamental credo's of protecting forum members from scams, bad watches and higher prices. The fact that many of the smaller independents have been made targets of paypal, etc. by who or whatever :g: and subsequently fled just exacerbates this slowdown. Folks like TTK and Narikaa who are not drop shippers and can afford the scrutiny are trying. Angus was trying for a while but he appears to have slowed down for whatever reason. I don't know how the economics of this forum work but if it is dependent on dealers offerings through the site this could spell trouble.

On the super reps - in truth they have been around for years - whether it was the MBW's or DW's selling for $500-600 or the Honpo PAM's selling for $600-800. But the biggest reason why these products are priced that way is the limited availability. An exclusive offering is just that. You have no where else to turn. This is true at the dealer level and the consumer level. The factories demand larger minimums at higher prices because they can. No one else is making them. The dealers who can get them offer them for what they can. There is even a concept of list price now. If the dealer is selling below list and gets caught they get cut off. Whether it is because the factories cut them off or the purchasing agent on behalf of our larger dealers ;) cuts them off everyone tows the line. A dealer or buying organization's dream is to have an exclusive on an offering and price accordingly. Whether the factories, the dealers or the two working in tandem is causing this I will never know. But clearly this is happening.

It is unfortunate that the prices are going up while the Q/C appears to be falling down. In truth the QC may have not changed much. We are just more sensitive to it as the prices have risen. The aesthetic design is certainly improving with watches I would never have imagined coming out and appearing in the first generation with amazing levels of accuracy. The fact that people are lining up for an $800 HBB rep or that there is now a SFSO with Asian movement for $150.00 is a testimony to the fact that the market adjusts to consumer demand. We just have to buy more carefully. But at least we have those choices. This is the golden age of reps in terms of what is out there. We just have to be more selective when buying them - or increase our discretionary income. :lol: