When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Going Asian or Swiss

Darth Vapor

On some sites they offer the CD both with a Asian 7750 or a Swiss 7750.

I read here somewhere that a swiss version runs better and is more stable but my question is...is it worth the additional $670?

That's a lot of money you can also use in other pleasant ways. ^_^

Anyone with any experience with both?

Quick answer - no it's not worth that.

The Asian movement is considered good if you factor in a service at some point. Or if you want Swiss it's probably less expensive to source the movement elsewhere and have it fitted for you.

And of course you could end up with a great Swiss movement, but a whole bunch of other quality control headaches with the rest of the watch.

I wouldn't buy a A7750 if I wasn't going to service it at arrival.

I'm scared to death of that movement.

Yes, I have the same feeling too. Look at the current issues with the poor quality components in the Big Bang...

Best bets if you want tha Asian 7750, is if it's in it's native layout, ie. seconds at 9, subdials at 6 and 12.

The PAMs with only running seconds at 9 should also be ok, as the chrono gearing can be stripped out.

I've got a Cousteau en route that I'm wanting to have for a long time, so I'm not sure whether I should have it serviced right away, or try to get a month or two out of it before it goes off to The Zigmeister...

Is there any problem with waiting to have it serviced?

I don't think The Zigmeister is even accepting new service requests right now....

Is there any problem with waiting to have it serviced?

I'm wondering about that myself so I'd like to add to the question 'If so, within what timespan should it really be serviced before I run into trouble?'

I don't think The Zigmeister is even accepting new service requests right now....

Considering the above, would a local watchmaker do?

I realize he won't do a relume or anything like that but servicing a movement or even changing date/time wheels... ?

Anyone have any previous experience with taking a rep to a watchmaker?

I'd probably best stay away from a AD me figures... :p

Edited by Darth Vapor