When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SOS - permanent link from oyster bracelet has fallen apart

rek001

Hi guys, I need your help please.

I put on my Rolly 50th An GMT this morning and, much to my chagrin, the bracelet came apart - at the point where the first flexible link meets the fixed end link against the case.

I'm looking at it and the pins that hold the link together are smooth, I don't see any friction points that would allow one to put the link back together and stay together. How do permanent bracelet links stay together?

I did put everything back together and squezeed the link sides but as soon as I flexed the bracelet the link fell apart again :angry2:

What should I do? Use a bit of blue Loc Tite before assembling? I'm not sure if that would work, or maybe it would prevent the link from pivoting to conform to my wrist?

In advance, thanks much for your help and advice.

Thanks for the reply, 2005.

The thing with the link is, there are 2 fixed posts jutting out one end of the link and the other pieces of the link mount onto these posts to make up the 3 part link.

I'm just trying to figure out what holds the permanent links together in a typical oyster bracelet, this is totally weird.

I've only had the watch for about 2 months, haven't even worn it that much, and been quite careful with it.

This bracelet is a bit different than standard oyster, it has the high polish center links, so swapping out isn't an option I'm afraid.

OK, here's a pic, sorry, I should have included this in my initial post.

BTW, this is a really beautiful watch, from Ms. King.

292599-4314.jpg

Short of replacing the entire bracelet (which is probably the best option), you could probably try using resin (2 part epoxy) or metal glue. Put a tiny bit in the holes on the end piece, and then put it together. As long as you don't use too much and it doesn't get into the mid-link, you should be able to work the stiffness out of it since it's just sitting on the pin, and not attached to it.

Same thing happened to my wife's datejust. Twice...

Ended up using good half from both bracelets (Josh sent new one that did same thing) and it's okay now. He said he'd never heard it before either. Strangely, the 2 bracelets were different in size....hmm....I wish I had been able to try the JBWeld or epxoy method, but sadly, the pieces were lost before she noticed they were loose. I wish you luck on yours.