When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

mp3 players...little help needed

watcher71

I want to get my wife an mp3 player for mothers day, but have no clue about them. I see ones with memory of 512mb, 1gb, and so on...

The 512 mb ones are tiny, which is what she will want for her intended use at the gym and stuff, so does anyone know if 512mb is big enought to hold about 50 songs.

thanks

I want to get my wife an mp3 player for mothers day, but have no clue about them. I see ones with memory of 512mb, 1gb, and so on...

The 512 mb ones are tiny, which is what she will want for her intended use at the gym and stuff, so does anyone know if 512mb is big enought to hold about 50 songs.

thanks

It depends on the quality/size of the mp3's

Lets say at 5mb per mp3, you will be able to get around 100 good quality songs on there....but..... Don't be a cheap ass. Go ahead and get her something like an Ipod nano for about $140

You can never have too much space, but you sure can have too little..

Edited by jraines87

It depends on the quality/size of the mp3's

Lets say at 5mb per mp3, you will be able to get around 100 good quality songs on there....but..... Don't be a cheap ass. Go ahead and get her something like an Ipod nano for about $140

You can never have too much space, but you sure can have too little..

The Apple Ipod 512Mb will hold at least 125 good quality songs...which you can obviously change every day if you want. However its easier to get more storage, so you dont get bored with your songs as quickly.

Basically...get more storage than you think she will need...its really not that expensive at the moment.

hope that helps :)

Jon

I was under the impression that all iPods were 'dedicated' players - meaning that they only accept mp3 files in the iTunes format - meaning that you can't load files from any other provenance into the player.

Am I right or wrong about this?

I was under the impression that all iPods were 'dedicated' players - meaning that they only accept mp3 files in the iTunes format - meaning that you can't load files from any other provenance into the player.

Am I right or wrong about this?

They work in conjunction with iTunes...this comes on cd with all ipods...pretty good music player i find.

Jon

They work in conjunction with iTunes...this comes on cd with all ipods...pretty good music player i find.

Jon

That's kind of what I'm saying. With an iPod, you're locked into using iTunes as your unique source for music files.

For instance, my whole music collection has been downloaded off of other sources, and I'm under the impression that they will not be accepted by an iPod - which is why I've held off from buying one. Presuming that Watcher's wife already has a collection of music files, she's going to need an open-format player which will accept them. Either that, or purchase a new music collection through iTunes.

Once again, correct me if I'm wrong...

Not dedicated.....you can only download DRM (DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT) content......similar in concept to Macrovision....if it doesn't have a DRM sigbature it won't play it.....!

Not a big fan of Ipod.....Cowon ( I-Audio).....produce some of the best flash and HDD players in the marketplace....!

That's kind of what I'm saying. With an iPod, you're locked into using iTunes as your unique source for music files.

For instance, my whole music collection has been downloaded off of other sources, and I'm under the impression that they will not be accepted by an iPod - which is why I've held off from buying one. Presuming that Watcher's wife already has a collection of music files, she's going to need an open-format player which will accept them. Either that, or purchase a new music collection through iTunes.

I had around 900 songs prior to getting my ipod (Downloaded from Napster, Kaza, Limewire, etc...) , and I had no problem putting them on there.

I had around 900 songs prior to getting my ipod (Downloaded from Napster, Kaza, Limewire, etc...) , and I had no problem putting them on there.

that is what i tought, otherwise thay wouldn't be the top seller of mp3 players!

that is what i tought, otherwise thay wouldn't be the top seller of mp3 players!

You have to use there software package to get them onto the ipod itself, but thats no big deal either as most external pieces of hardware require some sort of method of transfering info from pc to device.

Im pretty sure you can play all song file types in itunes...doesnt matter where you have got them from, or what you are using at the moment. itunes will ocnvert them (if it needs to), but most will play anyway.

Then transfer them from comp to ipod through itunes.

Hope that helps :)

Jon

That sounds like good news - but what about Neil's observation above concerning iPods only playing DRM-encoded files?

Your experience would tend to prove the opposite....

Not for sure, but "Itunes" may encode the mp3's as they are transfered over to your device. Not the actual Mp3's on your machine, but encodes them onto the ipod hard drive itself

Not dedicated.....you can only download DRM (DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT) content......similar in concept to Macrovision....if it doesn't have a DRM sigbature it won't play it.....!

Not a big fan of Ipod.....Cowon ( I-Audio).....produce some of the best flash and HDD players in the marketplace....!

Huh?

Let's just say that I have a friend who downloaded music off the net when downloding music of the net was easy to do. I . . . er, my friend accumulated pretty much every song he ever liked and every song by every artist who ever did a song he ever liked - something like, oh . . . maybe 15 GB worth of MP3s.

That 15 GB is currently residing on an IPOD that plays them perfectly well. Install the software and it finds the songs (like from Music Match for instance) and it converts them into ITunes files. No problemo.

In fact, those songs have been iinstalled on various IPODs belonging to various family members (of my friend's), all of which are doing just fine.

Bill

Huh?

Let's just say that I have a friend who downloaded music off the net when downloding music of the net was easy to do. I . . . er, my friend accumulated pretty much every song he ever liked and every song by every artist who ever did a song he ever liked - something like, oh . . . maybe 15 GB worth of MP3s.

That 15 GB is currently residing on an IPOD that plays them perfectly well. Install the software and it finds the songs (like from Music Match for instance) and it converts them into ITunes files. No problemo.

In fact, those songs have been iinstalled on various IPODs belonging to various family members (of my friend's), all of which are doing just fine.

Bill

Yeh exactly...easy peasy! No worries about what player you get...will be fine...or your wife will be :D

Jon

what do you guys think...are there reps of iPods?

I think there may be.

I got a good deal on a pair of 40GB Ipods on EBay but they did not come packaged like the ones I bought at the store.

They worked fine though.

Personally, I would recommend buying the real thing as they ar not that expensive and they work wonderfully well. I play mine thru my sound system in my Corvette and it makes for an awesome road trip.

Bill

To clarify: iPods, whether Nano or normal, can play MP3s of any kind. They can also play Windows WAV files and Windows WMA files as long as they have no DRM, or copy-protection. They can also play MPEG4 audio (known as AAC) either with or without copy-protection DRM.

While you need to use iTunes to put the songs on the iPod, this in no way limits you to just using songs converted with iTunes or bought on the iTunes Music Store.

iPods are more 'open' to other formats than any of the Windows players or the Sony ATRAC players.

For a non-techie person, an iPod is by far the logical choice. For a techie, the choice is already made and is most likely iPod.

They are the best selling MP3 player for a reason ... and it's not because of their price.

(edited because I pressed the button too soon, danmed laptop keyboard)

Edited by Pugwash