When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jury duty.

thomasng

Oh crap..........

I got selected today as a juror for a first-degree murder trial. I was told that it was very common to take more than 2 months in Canada for this to finish up.

Who else here has had to suffer through jury duty (wherever you live)?

Nothing that serious, but I did serve on a jury for a few days.

If it's high profile, you may be able to write a book afterwards and make millions :lol:

Nothing that serious, but I did serve on a jury for a few days.

If it's high profile, you may be able to write a book afterwards and make millions :lol:

That's the thing, this case could be considered high-profile, but in Canada, the jury has to remain quiet after the trial or you are charged with a criminal offence apparently. I know in the US the media can interview the jurors and such, but in Canada, it's illegal and strictly forbidden.

I was also told to expect it to take at least 2 months. Oh boy.

Edited by thomasng

That's the thing, this case could be considered high-profile, but in Canada, the jury has to remain quiet after the trial or you are charged with a criminal offence apparently. I know in the US the media can interview the jurors and such, but in Canada, it's illegal and strictly forbidden.

I was also told to expect it to take at least 2 months. Oh boy.

Well, if you can afford to take 2 months off... go for it.... May be a pretty cool experience

Oh crap..........

I got selected today as a juror for a first-degree murder trial. I was told that it was very common to take more than 2 months in Canada for this to finish up.

Who else here has had to suffer through jury duty (wherever you live)?

Too late now, I suppose, but if you want to get OUT of serving, when you are initially interviewed in the courtroom you say that you know the defendant's spouse or that the defendant's family owes you money. Poof - you're out of there.

I served for a week on a wrongful death civil trial - interesting and actually fun. We delivered a verdict in favor of the defendant on the plaintiff's Birthday. Cruel irony, maybe.

was called many times...and always thought I would like to be on a jury......then was selected and likewise told it could be two months.....screwed up though...when interviewed.....I was honest and told interviewer that anyone who would commit that particular crime should be hung and that I could tell in a heartbeat if a person was guilty....

was immediately excused

Here's how it works in Canada, we get notices mailed to us, and we fill out the questionnaire. Then later, we get a notice to appear at the courthouse for selection at a certain date. There is a room of a hundred or two hundred people, where random people are called up and placed on jury panels. After, either the defence or the prosecutors can contest either one of us, if they think we do not qualify to sit on the jury panel. And then, we are given the date for the trial, and the time to appear. We were told to prepare at least 6 weeks for this, and we have to notify our employers and such.

@fritz

In Canada, and the United States, a group of 12 citizens are randomly selected to sit at a criminal trial whether it be sexual assault, robbery, murder, etc... The jury hears all of the evidence, testimony and decides the ultimate fate of the person, are they guilty, guilty of a lesser offence or not guilty? There is still a judge who presides in the trial, but the judge is not allowed in anyway to influence the jury's decision.

So, today was the first day of jury duty.

Gosh, the accused with his murderous eyes staring at you throughout the whole session is actually quite unnerving since I'm sitting in the front row. But today wasn't too bad, the judge instructed us about our duty, what we are supposed to do and such. Then it was lunch, then opening arguments went on for a little bit from the prosecutor's side, which actually was kind of interesting. Then we adjourned at 4pm and told to return tomorrow at 10am.

And oh yeah, I was wearing a lower-key watch today, a GP Seahawk II on Rubber strap.

So, today was the first day of jury duty.

Gosh, the accused with his murderous eyes staring at you throughout the whole session is actually quite unnerving since I'm sitting in the front row. But today wasn't too bad, the judge instructed us about our duty, what we are supposed to do and such. Then it was lunch, then opening arguments went on for a little bit from the prosecutor's side, which actually was kind of interesting. Then we adjourned at 4pm and told to return tomorrow at 10am.

And oh yeah, I was wearing a lower-key watch today, a GP Seahawk II on Rubber strap.

Thanks for sharing admin. I'm really interested in this......obviously no details.....or you'll be hunted down......even to this forum :o ...

Keep me updated though on the 'obvious aspects'...

Did it a while back, triple homicide with heavy DNA evidence. In a funny way I was honored to be selected to the jury..It was a very high profile/political case for the county I lived in at the time. I would do it again if required..

Yea.....but you dont have an AP to look at when you're sitting there.......

Yea.....but you dont have an AP to look at when you're sitting there.......

All I could do was stare at the judge's full gold/ diamond bezel President Rolex today, rather than my basic GP, which no one could tell from a Timex anyways. :p

But of course as you said, I won't mention the case or the courthouse I am at during the day. But I will update you guys on how it's like to be a juror and what type of evidence is there.

You should have done what one of my buddies does.....he loves being on welfare....just doesn't want a full time job......he's happy to do his own thing......unfortunately he gets sent every so often for job interviews.....so he organises a knockback everytime from the interviewer....by asking...with a Jack Nicholson smile........"do you have any REALLY young girls working here"..?......... :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by TTK