When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it the right time to buy a gen 5513 (vintage sub no date)

halley

And the price and location of a good 5513?

I have been disapointed lately with the high end reps I ordered, even if all is sorted out with the dealers, I think it's time to make my second move on the genuine world:

I'm hesitating between a zenith EP class sport or port royal around usd 2200-2400

and a rolie 5513 that watchinternational rates at €2800

but with the dollar being real low against the € these days, I thought perhaps I could reach a 5513 that being a rolex will probably hold its value well

the good price for me would around $2500 (I don't really care about papers or accesories)

Do you think it's the good time to buy since it seems price is moving up every 6 months now and do you know of some place selling 5513 for around my budget.

Absolutely. The 5513 is one of the most under-rated, under-valued vintage Subs (in my opinion). The current trend is indicating that 5513's, 1680's (white font), 1675's etc. will all start to see increases in prices and value (same with the vintage Tudor sports). Now, it is my belief that somewhere in the future the Rolex bubble will burst; some don't agree, but I think that it is inevitable for the inflated prices to hit a cap and then start to decline as more of the serious players in the game move onto the other brands (the brands who take care of their customers by supporting them). This is already happening to some degree. But this is mostly speculation on my part, and would probably be of more impact to the higher, more ridiculously priced sports models.

Again, just my opinion...

You could always keep an eye on ebay, esp. the reputable sellers and maybe pick one up in your price range. Most retail places are probably going to be up in the $3000-3500 range. The later models, 80's, might also be in your range, but I'm not keen on the later dials w/ the white gold trim around the hour markers.

Good 60's and early 70's models in nice shape are probably going to run more.

You also might try some pawn shops in you area, of course, it might be easier to call around first. Good Luck!

L-

If you're going to pick up a 5513, now is the time to do it, from both a price and servicing perspective! The SC's are starting to turn away watches within the 60's and early 70's era and are standing firm on this decision; if you want the watch serviced with genuine parts, you should do it as soon as you are able to before they shut the doors completely on the 1520/30/60/70/80 based watches!

i had the same thoughts when i had to decide for a rlx vintage last year. i went for the 1675 (because of the GMT function and the great opportunity to get a great price for an watch in unbelievable good condition). it has risen in price since then... :)

47580-36829.jpg

Edited by palpatine

Great looking GMT, Palp! :wub: Darn good investment as well.

halley, it's always a good time to pick up a vintage gen, specially the 5513. This happens to be my fave vintage Rollie. The no date with the matte dial just speaks to me much more than the others. They are escalating in value rather quickly, specially in the past year or so.

I've looked for an excellent example of the 5513, GMT and Seamaster 300 for sometime but along the way I stumbled across a minty all original Tudor Sub complete with all factory boxes and papers. I couldn't resist specially for the price. That is also a terrific vintage piece that can be still found for a reasonable price. That appears to be changing quickly as well.

Good luck in your hunt. 5513s pop up on TZ from time to time (a couple recently located in the EU) so keep checking. I've also seen them at reputable vintage dealers but their prices tend to be quite a bit more.

Jet

Edited by Jetsons