When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Biggest tell (IMHO), flimsy bracelets

earnout

New gen rolex bracelets are hollow in the middle link also. This is correct and one of the things that makes the Noobmariner famous.. the correct dial and the near perfect bracelet.

For the flimsy thing.. file the sharp edges off it, then sand it with 400 then 600 grit. After that soak it in oil over night to lubricate all the joints. Then clean it and put it back on the watch.. oh yeah dont dunk the watch head in oil LOL

This will make a HUGE difference trust me.

Lonnie

Here's my usual response to comments about flimsy Sub bracelets: Have you tried a genuine one? :whistling:

If you take a Noobmariner bracelet, gently sand the sharp edges and oil it, it's very close to the genuine.

The reason for the flimsiness is the same as on the Seikos. Ultra-comfortable stainless steel bracelets. Sturdy Omega or Breitling bracelets are nowhere near as comfortable as the Rolex ones.

Great advice all. Thank you for the suggestions. :D

For the record, I'd like to contribute another great suggestion I received from "Vmena" on TRC (which he cites is based on a post on RGW1 by watchwatcher2). (I hope neither of you mind. :victory:). I followed his advice TO THE LETTER and I'm happy to report that it really helped. My bracelet is not only more comfortable, but it also lost most of that shrill tinny sound that was driving me crazy. I've reproduced the instructions here for everyone's future reference, but if you're interested his original post can be found here: http://www.replicacollector.com/members/in...showtopic=31584.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oyster and jubilee bracelets are very flimsy, no matter gen or rep. You say you can distinguish them by the "feeling" and noise. Yes and not. There are some aftermarket bracelets very close to gen, but the level of enhancement doesn't worth the price. I use a method copied from an old post in RGW1 by watchwatcher2 that I reproduce below (hope ww2 doesn't care), and believe me it works:

"When you first get the sub, the bracelet will rattle and feel a bit flimsy. Here's what you need to do.

1. remove bracelet, put on rubber gloves.

2. take some auto polishing compound and a dremel tool with round felt head and smooth down the inside of the bracelet, particularly near the edges where it may feel sharp or rub against your wrist.

3. take the same compound and work it into the links, then hold two links at a time and work them back and forth a bit.

4. after you've worked over the entire bracelet, focusing on the inside and sharp edges, take a toothbrush and dishwashing soap and go over it link by link washing off the compound.

5. next take a fine s/s polish, i use simichrome, and with a soft cloth work it over the exterior of the bracelet and sides, as you work the polish in with the cloth, the cloth will turn black... that is not dirt, but actually oxidation of a very fine layer of s/s. the simichrome is very s/s friendly, so you can polish for quite a while if you want and not damage the s/s.

6. toothbrush and liquid soap again.

7. when clean and dry, spray down the bracelet with wd-40, work the links back and forth, put the bracelet in a ziplock bag, spray more wd-40 on it and close the bag. let it set for 30minutes.

8. liquid soap--suds up the bracelet and rinse, dry with soft towel

You now will have a very soft, very decent bracelet, which no longer sounds the the klinker you started with and actually feels very much like a real one."

By my experience, you can skip using a dremel if you have patience and a strong hand... One more tip: in the hollow end links bracelets you have to adjust the end links because one of the main reasons of "sounding" is that they come very open (like a mouth) and you have to close them a bit.

Try this and you will be surprised... but remember, you get what you pay for, so cheap reps and some time expensive also come with very poor bracelets. Homer sells very good quality ones. Try them but also give them this treatment. You won't repent.

the only other thing I have done other than what you just listed is us a good carnuba wax after the final cleaning. I've gone as far as melting the wax to a liquid and soaking the bracelet in it. I've found that the thin layer of wax that stays on the inside of the mid link acts as a sound deadener. I use a power tooth brush to remove the excess wax along with microfiber polishing clothes.

also for filing I've found that nail files are great for softening edges. you can get any grit you could dream of, the are cheap, and they have great solid backers for great control.

anyway good luck and wear that oyster well.

Apart from the sphincter-puckering price tag, what differences have you noted with that and the Noobmariner bracelet?

The biggest difference...IMHO, is the thickness of the clasp material and of course the end pieces. The center links are a little thinner gauge, but overall feel and heft is almost exact......of course, only after you polish and refinish the bracelet.

In fact, I have a Gen clasp on an MBW Hollow center link bracelet Shown here:

303458-674.jpg

303458-675.jpg

303458-676.jpg

As soon as my watchmaker gets my gen endpieces, I doubt that anyone would be able to tell one fron the other.