When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pics of gen VC Overseas

ahchard

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have the genuine piece, and both versions of the rep.

The genuine one was stunning, with the high quality Maltese cross bracelet, and the Maltese cross bezel. It was the perfect balance of VC tradition and sportiness, with the Maltese cross motif being depicted throughout the entire watch, while you could do some intense sport activities with it (I played golf with it, swam with it, went light diving with it, went jogging with it, but at the same time wore it to formal events and the like).

The replica versions of this watch with the diamond cut bracelet was also absolutely stunning, but the case size was lacking a bit, and the clasp was incorrect, but to be honest, I like the old VC Overseas clasp more than the current ones, since the current clasps don't feel very secure.

But I sold the genuine one off in the end, because I decided it really wasn't what I was looking for. I just felt it copied the Royal Oak too much in terms of case design, and out of the whole luxury SS market, the Overseas was more a follower to the Royal Oak and the Nautilus, and I prefer watches that are more radical in deisgn, they are innovators, they are first in the field, hence that's why I'm a huge Royal Oak fan.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Thanks for that admin... I just got mine from Josh less than a week ago... already played golf with it once... i won't go swimming with it tho... I got the one with the old clasp... initially wanted the one with the new clasp but got sent this one... not fussed... you are right... the double locking might be a good thing. However one side of my clasp is so tight... took me about 10 minutes to open it the first time... now... my fingers hurt every time i take my watch off... sure it will get better in time though.

There are quite a few differences from the gen... but in all... a very good looking rep imho. For some weird reason VC appeals more to me than AP, to each his own i guess... pity I was not around when u sold your gen... I might have gotten a good deal... :p

Just wanted to check with you admin... I assume the crown on the gen is screw down? otherwise it would not be very waterproof would it???

Just wanted to check with you admin... I assume the crown on the gen is screw down? otherwise it would not be very waterproof would it???

It was screwdown for sure, it's water resistant to 150M. However, not being screwdown doesn't mean it isn't waterproof. The Royal Oak Jumbo I used to have lacked a screwdown crown, and was only resistant to 50M. The Patek Philippe Nautilus is resistant to 120M, but the crown is not screwdown either. But of course, a screwdown crown is always best. I am always fearful of getting any of my watches without screwdown crowns near water.

wow i have both the white and black VC overseas....and i am amazed at how close the genuine photo is to my rep. personally i cannot tell the difference...both the bracelet that is pictured and the dial....unless i am missing something.....i didnt think it would be so tight. the cross looks alot different though

2678-7297.jpg

Edited by watchit

wow i have both the white and black VC overseas....and i am amazed at how close the genuine photo is to my rep. personally i cannot tell the difference...both the bracelet that is pictured and the dial....unless i am missing something.....i didnt think it would be so tight. the cross looks alot different though

2699-7295.jpg

There is a bit of difference if you look closely... but overall it is a very good looking watch... that you cabbage? I recognise the hairy arms... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
this is a pic steveg found on the net... very nice pics from diff angles... thanks steve :thumbsupsmileyanim:

16511-3231.jpg

Hey Ahchard good to see ya here, I just found this board, went right to the VC area, and there you were. Still love my watch, one of the nicest I have, but with all the reps it's hard to wear them all at once :D

• 5 weeks later...

Steve... check out Joshua's newest version of the Overseas!!!

Looks very good... so far only flaws I can see is the maltese cross on the dial and maybe the date window... now i need to get another one... hmmm... its ok... i will give the one I have as a gift to my brother in law...

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Just wanted to check with you thomas... I assume the crown on the gen is screw down? otherwise it would not be very waterproof would it???

ahchard,

Lack of a screw down crown, does not necessarily take away the "waterproof/ness" of a watch.

I have a Mido Ocean Commander -(Gen)-

By Midos advertising- "One of the most water/pressure proof watches ever made'.

It has a push crown!

I have tested this to 10 atm, with no sign of a leak- and suspect- due to the fact that it only has two points available for water ingress. ( It is a solid one piece case) that it would test a lot higher.

But yes- a screw down crown is certainly a positive for stopping water ingress.

For all those newcomers reading this- That ( Screw crown) doesn't make your rep waterproof-

GET IT TESTED- there is no other solution. Historically reps are NOT waterproof.

offshore

The new one is essentially perfect. I just paid for one to replace the genuine I had. It's so damn nice, noe there's a screw down crown, and the correct case size and a correct clasp to boot. This is probably going to be one of the 99% out of the box replicas. Maybe a sign of what's to come?

A genuine dial would be key to making this 100%, but I have a solution to the VC logo problem. ;)

The new one is essentially perfect. I just paid for one to replace the genuine I had. It's so damn nice, noe there's a screw down crown, and the correct case size and a correct clasp to boot. This is probably going to be one of the 99% out of the box replicas. Maybe a sign of what's to come?

A genuine dial would be key to making this 100%, but I have a solution to the VC logo problem. ;)

Which one would you prefer in point of accuracy, the black or white dial ?

Thx

It was screwdown for sure, it's water resistant to 150M. However, not being screwdown doesn't mean it isn't waterproof. The Royal Oak Jumbo I used to have lacked a screwdown crown, and was only resistant to 50M. The Patek Philippe Nautilus is resistant to 120M, but the crown is not screwdown either. But of course, a screwdown crown is always best. I am always fearful of getting any of my watches without screwdown crowns near water.

I agree - completely - but if you look at the waterproof test I did on the most recent SMP GMT, look closely at the crown. The watch passed without so much as a bubble, but I forgot to screw the crown down.

I thought about retesting the watch, but I left it as was because it is really interesting to me that the watch passed without the crown screwed down.

Bill

A new dial would definitely make this watch perfect admin... the only flaws I can see are the maltese cross... the date window... and maybe the date font??? everything else seems PERFECT!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The hour markers on the new rep are too far away from the inner bezel, compared to the gen. The 9 and the 3 are also a fraction too far away from the hour markers. Hands up who can source new dials...

The other version that has the correct clasp (silix-prime, etc) has the correct cross from what I can tell from mine. You could probably pop one off that one if you had it and put it on this one.

I can't really tell the difference in the other correct-clasp one and this one besidese the cross? That one had a screw-down crown, etc as well? Could this be the 2nd iteration of that watch?