When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stains on Straps

Victoria

Just got my first water stain on of all things, a PAV 90 strap ($269)...

I actually did this in the line of fire, since I was taking pics of my PAM 111h for a future Wrist-Check. I had the bright idea of holding a Starbucks plastic glass, and accidentally spilt water on it when taking the photo. DOOFUS Vic.

Elliot told me to use Meltonian Neutral on my Paci straps, saying that Fabrizio (the head leathermaker of the MP range) suggested it as the ONLY recommended leather care paste for their straps. In fact, he said that Fabrizio recommends not using anything most of the time, since they are meant to last.

I finally sourced a small jar on eBay, and when this happened, applied it on the stain. Nada.

So, just reading Ryyannon's crazy thread now (love it!), it led to thoughts of craziness.

What if I took one of my long fingernails and scratched ever so lightly, the stain out? Gulping hard, because I hate seeing that stain there...IT WORKED!

Stain gone, buffed lightly with a cloth which TWP sent me.

What other stain solutions have you found? :)

NOTE: I hate the texture of waterproof straps, so Lexol is out for me, but I heard that's good in general.

Here is a horror story for you... in pictures.

Well, probably one picture will be enough...

305829-297.jpg

A beautiful genuine alligator strap, ruined by sweat from my wrist.

It was a hot day in Italy...

Since then, I treat all of my straps with Lord Sheraton Pure beeswax Balsam... inside and out. It is a leather treatment designed for precious antique furniture... so it's probably good enough for my straps. It certainly helps to keep them supple.

The exception is the glossy straps. Glossy straps are varnished... so there is no point in treating the pretty side.

I still use it on the inside, though.

Lord Sheraton products are available in the UK from Tesco... I think you are coming here soon, am I right, Vicky?

Here is another pic... I received a nice Davidson strap from another member... but it was as dry as a bone.

It is a before-and-after shot. Can you guess which part has had the Lord Sheraton treatment? :-)

305829-298.jpg

Treating straps makes sense. If you had a nice pair of hand made shoes... you'd polish them, wouldn't you?

305837-289.jpg

OMG! I would be devastated, Clive. Such a beauty. :(

It was a hot day in Italy...

Yipes...thankfully, only crazy foreigners walk around in the Floridian heat. We go from a/c environment-to-a/c enviroment. :p

It is a before-and-after shot. Can you guess which part has had the Lord Sheraton treatment? :-)

305837-290.jpg

NICE! I think have the same strap, if it's the pigskin one also bought from a member here, and which I have worn.

It felt really awful after my leather straps, thick and crusty. I'll buy that Lord Sheraton wotsit, and treat it ASAP! Mind you, I hang around Waitrose's, not Tescos. ;)

(Yes, potentially going to London this December. Nice memory!)

Treating straps makes sense. If you had a nice pair of hand made shoes... you'd polish them, wouldn't you?

That's what I told Elliot, but who am I to argue with the great Fabrizio?

P.S.: Isn't it odd that the best cremes, and leather treatments come from Britain? In the last century, in the Victorian Era, the Russians had cornered the market on the best leather care, being justly famous for their hides.

But though Italian leather is the best in the world, I cannot think of one cream or conditioner from there, like Meltonian (which I had heard of) and this Lord Sheraton (which I hadn't).

What if I took one of my long fingernails and scratched ever so lightly, the stain out? Gulping hard, because I hate seeing that stain there...IT WORKED!

Stain gone, buffed lightly with a cloth which TWP sent me.

What other stain solutions have you found? :)

NOTE: I hate the texture of waterproof straps, so Lexol is out for me, but I heard that's good in general.

Hey vbarrett,

The reason this most likely worked is because when you scratched the leather you broke apart (ever so slightly) the fibers of the leather. This allowed the porous surface of the leather to open up and dry out. You could the same thing by bending it in the place where the strap is wet and rubbing gently with a dry cloth.

I don't understand your Lexol problem. Lexol is a wonderful leather conditioner. There are many different types of Lexol as that is just a brand name. So which product don't you like and why?

I forgot to add that Meltonian Neutral is a leather protectant/dressing. It is not made to get stains off of leather. The only product I would trust to remove dirt stains is Lexol ph balanced leather cleaner. And I say dirt stains, because most liquid stains can come out with drying and gentle rubbing.

Edited by tootall

Guest carlsbadrolex

I am not completely sure what is in it... But I have been using my wife Coach leather protectant for years. It has always seemed to do a good job, and my straps have seen some sweat!

just to add to TT lexol post... the PH balanced "cleaner" ... i have used this on MP straps .. it does darken the lighter hides a little but that dissaptes with time and the leather was cleaned nicely...someone got a little pen ink on a Bently leather seat once and a shoe maker turned me on to an old trick... get a q-tip and lightly coat it with hair spay and really lightly work the ink stain..... it came right out

I don't understand your Lexol problem. Lexol is a wonderful leather conditioner. There are many different types of Lexol as that is just a brand name. So which product don't you like and why?

(First, thanks for the tip of bending the strap above)

Lexol has an odd smell, and as mentioned by Lanikai, it tends to darken lighter leathers (which I have always felt don't ever stay as light afterwards). I don't mind patina, but a darker look due to chemicals I do mind.

Mind you, I've used Lexol only a handful of times on things other than straps.

I forgot to add that Meltonian Neutral is a leather protectant/dressing. It is not made to get stains off of leather.

Definitely. But as I had nothing else... ;)

The only product I would trust to remove dirt stains is Lexol ph balanced leather cleaner. And I say dirt stains, because most liquid stains can come out with drying and gentle rubbing.

But not, would you say, in the case of Clive's ruined, beautiful strap above? That seems irreperable.

@the guys above: Thanks for the tips!

Guys, just in case any of you are interested in Clive's suggestion:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leather-balsam-leather...1QQcmdZViewItem

"Leather balsam leather polish Lord Sheraton 75" @GBP 2.99

Dead cheap I'd call that. Bought two, not realising he had only 3. Had I known, would just have bought the one...

By the way, the *bayer has two varieties of the Lord Sheraton. It's the one in the white box not the yellow which is the one for leathers. I asked. :)