When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Big Pilot

TomBombadil

This is an old post from RWG/TRC that I decided to bring in over here.

I have been working on this project for some time, and it is finally complete. :D

46709-36913.jpg

It all started about 6 months ago. I was able to acquire an OEM Big Pilot dial from a seller on eBay. Since I loved this watch so much and there were no good reps out there, I decided to try and see if I could piece something together. -_-

OEM Dial from eBay:

46709-36914.jpg

I was able to find a Russian watch (Poljot Aviator) which had a case that matched the Big Pilot very well. It has a screw down crown and a solid case back. The back does not say IWC of course, but has a cool looking airplane engraved on it. :)

Poljot Aviator:

46709-36915.jpg

Once I had the case and dial, my next challenge was in the hands. This is why this project too so long and I almost gave up many times. I had no idea how hard it would be to find hands that would fit this watch. I looked everywhere and almost resorted to getting some custom hands made. It would have been pretty expensive, but I almost stepped up. :huh:

Then, I found a rep dealer in Amsterdam who had a Big Pilot rep with the same dimensions as the real one. :o At the time, none of our dealers had this rep, so I jumped on it. This is the same one that Andrew, King, and others sell now. The great thing about this rep was that it had the hands I was looking for with the exception of the power reserve hand. That one was way too small on the replica. It took me awhile, but I was finally able to track down something that would work for the power reserve hand. It is a faux power reserve.

BP Replica:

46709-36916.jpg

Next, it was off to The Zigmeister for some magic. The Zigmeister cleaned the dial (there were some scuff marks on it) and was also able to substitute an ETA movement for the crappy asian one that came with the rep. The movement was basically dead when I got it. I had the OEM dial put on the new movement with the rep hands inside the Poljot Aviator case. I wanted the Aviator case because I liked the screw down crown and non-display back. Also, this case does not have an extra push button on the side which is used for a day sub-dial on the replica. I also had to put a faux date in the window since the date window would not have lined up and the font is so much bigger in this watch. Thanks for the help The Zigmeister! :notworthy:

Finally, the band that came on the replica was very cheap. I had our friend HKTan create an exact copy of the original OEM band. This worked out well because he has an original band that he used for the copy. It looks great! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Some more pictures:

46709-36917.jpg

46709-36918.jpg

46709-36919.jpg

46709-36920.jpg

46709-36921.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

the project is very well done...what a pity that there is no good rep of this beauty...

maybe honpo or eddie could make a limited edition of this one...i bet there could be a lot of interested?

Edited by dadog13