When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Watch Kinda Town

Victoria

In the Kruzer00 thread about Panerais beginning to be noticed by dealers in NYC (a followup of sorts to the "It looks like Panerais are the "IT" watch in the Hamptons" thread), I mentioned the geographic importance of that marque in the West of the US, versus the East and South.

As ever, that was an opinion based on observation, but I acknowledge I could well be wrong. So my question to you is:

Do you live in a town or city or even country where people are into watches?

That is, appreciate them as status-symbols or mechanical wonders, as well as comment on them even if they don't know what model you are wearing, etc.

I recently read a thread on RWI where a Singaporean poster said that Singapore is watch-conscious, whereas in Malaysia no one gives a rip about watches. And the other day online, I read a similar comment from a TimeZone poster about Denver not at all being a watch town. Again, his or her opinion, but I found just hearing that fascinating.

Given the international flavour of RWG, I think this topic could yield many interesting anecdotes, so please post a reply with your experiences. :)

My experience:

I have lived in many countries, and I would have to say that Japan was the most interested in luxury watches, given the amount of questions one gets from complete strangers, and the plethora of watch mags and ADs there, whereas Brazil was the least (because of many reasons, not just financial).

The French adore watches, whereas in Britain, one can find people unusually partial to and knowledgeable about one marque or another, and stay that way for the rest of their lives.

South Florida is not a watch "town". Florida is a car State and jewelry State, BIG TIME.

But no, not necessarily watch-centric like Los Angeles, which has a very similar "vibe" as a warm-climate touristy area. Maybe JFreeman or Ssabripo and others can chime in with their impressions on SoFla. :)

In Paris - as elsewhere - it definitely depends what circles you move in. I've never seen anyone scoping out one of my watches - including a big and handsome Pannie vintage. On the other hand, I've gotten some strange looks - and a mouthful of abuse from one slightly tipsy woman who thought I was checking her out - when I've become a little too interested in what others were wearing.

One notable exception: back in the days when Pug and Usil and I used to meet up in the Caf

I currently reside in the capital of Canada, what one would expect to be the central mecca of North American culture, art, and money. If one would expect this, one would be dead wrong. Where I live, the amount of respect a man gets is directly proportional to the size of the wheels on his pickup truck, multiplied by the number of "support our troops" stickers, divided by the number of "go hockey team go" stickers, and finally rounded to the greatest amount of said trucks in the McDonald's parking lot where they usually reside.

Seriously, I have seen, in all of my life over here, just one person wearing a PAM. He was no older than twenty, rode the bus, and looked like he had a mental disability. I've seen a few Rolexes, and thought that was it... then I visited MONTREAL.

As soon as I stepped out of the car on the busy one-way street in the heart of this metropolis, I saw a woman with a solid gold Yacht-Master. Beside me was the exclusive family-owned Kaufmann Patek Philippe dealership which I visited for a long while. Then I took a walk down the street. Pam after pam, Rolex after Rolex. I saw a few Daytonas, multiple Cartiers and even those rare Panerai wind-up chronometers Joshua sells for about $228 which I sort-of like but would never buy. The only item I saw in greater amounts than these watches were luxury sunglasses. Armani, Cartier, Dior, you name it I saw it. It's like the entire shopping district is oozing with disposable income, and lots of it. Combine that to a cultured populace and bang - you have the epicenter of wristwatch madness here in my humble country.

But no, not necessarily watch-centric like Los Angeles, which has a very similar "vibe" as a warm-climate touristy area. Maybe JFreeman or Ssabripo and others can chime in with their impressions on SoFla.

South Florida is not a watch "town". Florida is a car State and jewelry State, BIG TIME

I have to disagree with you about South Florida not being a watch town. I have lived in Miami, Hollywood, Hallandale, Ft Lauderdale and now in Palm Beach. High end watches are everywhere. I see waiters and car salesmen wearing rep Rolexes all the time. In south beach you are hard pressed to find someone without a luxury watch. Ft Lauderdale has the highest per capita sales of Ferrari's anywhere in the world. Do you think Ferrari owners are wearing Timex's? This is a very image consious region. Along with the high end cars, houses and jewelry comes watches.

I get my taste for bling and Rolexes from working in Miami. I have been in sales since I was 15 years old. I have seen all the managers and owners of companies I worked for show lots of flash. Rolex, Panerai, Franck Muller, etc. One guy I worked for gave each of his closers and managers a Cartier Santos for Christmas. I think he bought 15 in all. The owner of one company I worked for was friends with the guy who was the wholesaler to Mayors. He used to come to the office regularly to peddle his watches. I have seen him with over $200,000 in inventory on his person and I could only guestimate that my boss' collection was worth over $500,000.

I knew once I could afford it I would have a nice watch collection as well. Yes I have purchased many genuine watches in addition to the reps I own.

In Paris - as elsewhere - it definitely depends what circles you move in. I've never seen anyone scoping out one of my watches - including a big and handsome Pannie vintage. On the other hand, I've gotten some strange looks - and a mouthful of abuse from one slightly tipsy woman who thought I was checking her out - when I've become a little too interested in what others were wearing. Without being the French equivalent of a barrio, my neighborhood (Montparnasse) is far from being the toniest in Paris. Perhaps if I hung out in the 16th (money) the 7th (older money) or places like the Caf

In Italy people could not care less about what watch you are wearing.

I may also add that grossly:

- at least 10% wear Rolex replicas (3/4 subs, 1/4 daytonas)

- 10% all-plastic Rolex hommages that became stylish last year

- 5% Citizen, Seiko and so

- 5% Swatch

I've had varied experiences in my last 4 years in Paris, France, Perugia, Italy and now Madrid, Spain.

Paris is a very introverted city. People don't like to talk about other people or what kinds of things other people wear. I think most Parisians find it very.. well, impolite. It's interesting.. because although people don't like confrontation, eye contact, whispering, (things that are usually triggered by eyecandy), people can be very pretentious here. Once I saw a man in Asnieres-sur-Seine where I lived wearing a smallish Tag Link on rubber strap (Quartz i think) like it was a Solid Gold Yachtmaster with diamond encrusted bezel.. He wore his sleeves rolled in the middle of winter so that his watch could be clearly seen. I don't think anyone paid attention to him, but I noticed his effort.

On the other hand in Italy... Anything goes. Cars and Fashion are what drives the Italian Psyche. I've seen quite a few rolexes (not sure if reps or not) on lots of the shop owners and realestate workers in Perugia where i lived. But they never seemed to show them off or try to let other people know what they had on their wrist. Although they always made sure that their sunglasses had the biggest most obvious Armani Eagle plastered onto the side. Or the most sparkly glitzy gucci t-shirt that one could purchase. Italy is the only place where I've seen garbage men dressed in Gucci Sunglasses with Dolce & Gabbana t-shirts (i kid you not). Perugia is a Fashionable place of but not particularly when it comes to watches.

Madrid is very much a watch town. Madrile

p.s. Saw a guy wearing a Panerai 112 on brown leather while I was eating brunch at EXTRA VIRGIN (A restaurant in East Village NYC). Was the first and only time I've seen (what i suppose was) genuine panerai in the real world. This is my only experience seeing a watch that wasn't rolex in the U.S. I'm sure i've seen more unknowingly, but I didn't start paying attention till I moved to Europe....

(Thanks for reminding me about this thread by the PS, Plaifender)

In Paris - as elsewhere - it definitely depends what circles you move in.

That's exactly how I would've replied if someone had posted what I did. Eerie, Ryyannon, eerie.

I've never seen anyone scoping out one of my watches - including a big and handsome Pannie vintage. On the other hand, I've gotten some strange looks - and a mouthful of abuse from one slightly tipsy woman who thought I was checking her out - when I've become a little too interested in what others were wearing.

LOL!

Of course, all of us are replying given our physical and social details.

As a woman, when a man sees me checking out his wrist (which is often, I love watch-gawking), I often receive grins from across the room since the wrist is located in the general area of the groin.

And I have yet to get an angry reply from anyone when I said, "Nice watch".

A few have stayed silent, which I have interpreted anywhere from "Don't go there, it's a rep", to, "Hey brat, are you saying my Fossil isn't as good as your Cartier?".

But the overwhelming response to my checking people's watches out is positive. Sucks to be you, Ryyannon. :D

One notable exception: back in the days when Pug and Usil and I used to meet up in the Caf

I currently reside in the capital of Canada, what one would expect to be the central mecca of North American culture, art, and money.

Corgi, before I launch into my reply to yours, let me just say how MUCH I appreciated your reply. It was beautifully written.

Although when I read this bit out loud to my (Toronto-resident) boyfriend, he semi-scoffed and said about Ottawa, "Come on, it's an one-horse logging town".

But I love hyperbole, so thanks for the chuckle about the mecca bit!

If one would expect this, one would be dead wrong. Where I live, the amount of respect a man gets is directly proportional to the size of the wheels on his pickup truck, multiplied by the number of "support our troops" stickers, divided by the number of "go hockey team go" stickers, and finally rounded to the greatest amount of said trucks in the McDonald's parking lot where they usually reside.

Shiver. Sounds like Tampa.

By the way, I am one of the few people left on earth who appreciates po' white trash.

Yeah, I would never have a pickup truck with Confederate stickers on them and a gun-rack, with a big blond dog riding on the flatbed, invariably called "Boo". Nor would I necessarily hang out in McDonald's, though wrist-check photos say otherwise.

But let's be honest -- the sophisticates who wear Pateks are not usually big on dying for their country, standing up for her, and loving her with the uncritical love of a mother.

So for that, I love me some "go hockey team go!" folk and their Timexes.

Seriously, I have seen, in all of my life over here, just one person wearing a PAM. He was no older than twenty, rode the bus, and looked like he had a mental disability.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Funniest line ever on RWG? Minus anything by Jetmid.

I've seen a few Rolexes, and thought that was it... then I visited MONTREAL.

*drum roll, opening of curtains, trumpets blaring*

As soon as I stepped out of the car on the busy one-way street in the heart of this metropolis, I saw a woman with a solid gold Yacht-Master. Beside me was the exclusive family-owned Kaufmann Patek Philippe dealership which I visited for a long while. Then I took a walk down the street. Pam after pam, Rolex after Rolex. I saw a few Daytonas, multiple Cartiers and even those rare Panerai wind-up chronometers Joshua sells for about $228 which I sort-of like but would never buy. The only item I saw in greater amounts than these watches were luxury sunglasses. Armani, Cartier, Dior, you name it I saw it. It's like the entire shopping district is oozing with disposable income, and lots of it. Combine that to a cultured populace and bang - you have the epicenter of wristwatch madness here in my humble country.

Dude, they're French. And worse than that, they are plus Fran

I have to disagree with you about South Florida not being a watch town.

SEE! This is why I asked you over in that thread.

There are alllll kinds of opinions in this world, based utterly on fact, and most of them conflict. :)

I have lived in Miami, Hollywood, Hallandale, Ft Lauderdale and now in Palm Beach.

Miami, Miami Beach, Palm Beach for me.

High end watches are everywhere. I see waiters and car salesmen wearing rep Rolexes all the time. In south beach you are hard pressed to find someone without a luxury watch. Ft Lauderdale has the highest per capita sales of Ferrari's anywhere in the world. Do you think Ferrari owners are wearing Timex's? This is a very image consious region. Along with the high end cars, houses and jewelry comes watches.

Yes, but do they know what they are wearing?

When I was buying the Merc, I checked in on the Collection in Coral Gables. Sleek salesmen there, unlike the majority of car salesmen in Miami, with their Brilliantine hair, rolled up TJ Maxx shirt-sleeves and weird Sylvester and Tweety 'power ties', looking like miniature Drew Rosenhauses.

First chap -- Sub. Second chap and his buddy -- Yacht-master, and Pepsi. The manager -- solid gold Presidential.

No variation. Yes, they have nice watches, but do they have the imagination?

I get my taste for bling and Rolexes from working in Miami. I have been in sales since I was 15 years old. I have seen all the managers and owners of companies I worked for show lots of flash. Rolex, Panerai, Franck Muller, etc.

Only have seen one Franck Muller here in Miami, other than my mother's..., and that was on the wrist of ex-Mayor Alex Penelas.

Pannies I wasn't "conscious" of before, but Rolexes, ohmywordyes.

As I have mentioned ad nauseum, the Haitian fugee janitor in my condo has one. Bling-bling. On $14,000 a year. We all have dreams.

One guy I worked for gave each of his closers and managers a Cartier Santos for Christmas. I think he bought 15 in all. The owner of one company I worked for was friends with the guy who was the wholesaler to Mayors. He used to come to the office regularly to peddle his watches. I have seen him with over $200,000 in inventory on his person and I could only guestimate that my boss' collection was worth over $500,000.

I knew once I could afford it I would have a nice watch collection as well. Yes I have purchased many genuine watches in addition to the reps I own.

Not at Mayor's I HOPE!

Anyway, you're right, of course.

My feeling is perhaps different based on knowledge of watches, but I'll give you this -- Miami/Miami Beach is a HIGHLY image self-aware area.

But it's also a new area, with new money, and though not tacky-gaudy as in Nashville, subtlety is not big here, as in any beach town.

People love wearing expensive jewelry here, as I alluded to in my intro. David Yurman sells out their Bal Harbour boutique at least twice a year.

And watches are big yes, but in terms of "the latest" fad like every woman I know here loves Michele and Technomarine. Jacob & Co. watch-wearing men in Lincoln Road mall is nothing to turn around one's head for -- they exist by the dozens.

But equally, it's Rolex, Rolex, Rolex.

No wonder I lost my appetite for Rolex when I came here.

Thanks for the reply, Jfreeman! See you around Brickell. ;)

I'd say pretty it is much the same here (apart from the Square Mile of Greed) - even in the smartest areas of central London, SW3, W8, the dark blue Monopoly parts of W1, I notice little tasteful wrist candy that garners any modicum of my attention.

We're a discrete race, Docblackrock. To stand out is to court trouble, and be thought a poseur -- possibly the worst sin an Englishman can make (other than being intelligent).

Under those bespoke suits of unvarying shades of black and grey, there are Blancpains and Calatravas by the wristful.

Women, not so much. They seem to buy one good Cartier watch which will see them through to their palatial retirement home in Eastbourne, and thereto, death.

But yes, overall I agree. London, the Home Counties, the Cotswolds, Gloucestershire. Anything past Watford, and we're talking plastic.

And vice versa. That said, I only need go into one of my favourite Italian restaurants wearing a favourite Pam, such as my 192 or 212 and at least one waiter will become my new best friend. Which rather pi sses off my GF, who prefers to be the one fussed over and referred to as 'bellissima!', oops :black_eye:

Wow, she sounds like a cow. No offence, I'm sure.

Hmmm, so I take it's true then that the French government was rumoured yesterday to have raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The only two higher levels in France being "Surrender" and "Collaborate.", and that the rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability???

:rofl:

Here all week....:whistling:

LOL! Oh very bad, very bad. I love it!

Thanks for your impressions! Shame other Brits have let the side down with theirs. :angry:

p.s. Saw a guy wearing a Panerai 112 on brown leather while I was eating brunch at EXTRA VIRGIN (A restaurant in East Village NYC).

A great name for a restaurant. It's near Little Italy, yes?

Was the first and only time I've seen (what i suppose was) genuine panerai in the real world. This is my only experience seeing a watch that wasn't rolex in the U.S. I'm sure i've seen more unknowingly, but I didn't start paying attention till I moved to Europe....

Hmm, very unusual, but now that your peepers have been flapped open, let's see what you will find!

I will reply to your first wonderful comment above in short order. I am being called away from the comp room. <_<

This has the makings of an excellent term-paper, Miss Barrett. But there are one or two points that I'd like to comment on:

But the overwhelming response to my checking people's watches out is positive. Sucks to be you, Ryyannon. :D

For sure, but I've gotten used to it.

I'd say that people who like expensive or intricate watches, who do not hang around places where they can be scoped by cognoscenti are perhaps unconsciously hoping not to be caught out if they are reps.

Or perhaps they like (again unconsciously, because I don't see you as this type consciously) the secret pleasure of having the best watch amongst the great unwashed. To hang around the gratin would mean less standing out.

Wrong on all counts as pertains to me. I don't really don't give a flying (censored word for copulation) about any of that: for me, it's just the very infantile pleasure of having something that I consider really neat. Like the Lone Ranger combination compass, flashlight and siren that I had when I was eight or nine years old, and that was stolen from me at summer camp. Never got over it. One should never underestimate the power of childhood memories: e.g., 'Citizen Kane'.

Conclusion: B+ as it stands, and possibly an A with a little polishing and further reflection. Know that there is more to this world than psychology can ever fathom. Was it you who said that Freud was specific to a time and place? Peu importe. We've all moved on from there, and if nothing else, the twentieth century should have taught us to be cautious about men bearing gifts which offer universal explanations and solutions. Even if there are broad empirical categories, I believe that there is no Unified Field Theory concerning human behavoir. Thank God.

But I digress.

Keep up the good work - and keep the faith.

In Italy people could not care less about what watch you are wearing.

I may also add that grossly:

- at least 10% wear Rolex replicas (3/4 subs, 1/4 daytonas)

- 10% all-plastic Rolex hommages that became stylish last year

- 5% Citizen, Seiko and so

- 5% Swatch

Fascinating, SSsurfer! One thing, I never "remarked" a Citizen on an Italian! Could it be? The land of Panerai, choosing Citizens?

One thing I'd like to ask a real Italian -- is it really really true one get be arrested or have one's rep watch smashed by Carabinieri on the stop, if caught wearing a rep watch? If they did that in the USA, half the population would shout, "Fascist!", and the other half would run to hide their reps. :D

By the way, my Italian(-descended) boyfriend remarked, "What about the other 70%?". Jolly joker.

P.S.: He bought me a rep Rolex one time, sold by the famous "Marrocchini" (Moroccans, although they are usually Sudanese, etc.) found hocking watches on the beaches of every Italian resort town. I think it lasted a year before dying a merciful death. If laws are so strict in Italian about conterfeits, how do they allow this?

I've had varied experiences in my last 4 years in Paris, France, Perugia, Italy and now Madrid, Spain.

First, allow me also to say what a great read your reply was.

And what a varied experience in domiciles! I see you favour the Latin countries. Never lived (other than in the US), in a predominantly "Germanic" culture?

Paris is a very introverted city. People don't like to talk about other people or what kinds of things other people wear. I think most Parisians find it very.. well, impolite.

That's exactly the word. Impolite.

This reticence is a part of being a sophisticate, which demands indifference as a matter of politeness, but also to show the world you are unconcerned with being impressed. Only yokels go around staring at the world with their mouths half-open.

Of course, the worst thing to be in France is someone from the "provinces", or a gosse de banlieu. I can only think of Bernard Tapie as one success story from the latter, and they held it against him every day of his life.

(He had tacky taste in watches. Remember that blinged out MOP watch which looked plasticky and yet brusque, whatever marque it was? Surely not Vacheron...EDIT: On closer inspection, it seems like a T3 due to the CG...)

1138133831.jpg

It's interesting.. because although people don't like confrontation, eye contact, whispering, (things that are usually triggered by eyecandy), people can be very pretentious here.

Again, lack of eye contact is a sign of innate deference and therefore politeness, which in "Nordic" societies is often considered deviousness, as I'm sure I don't need to tell you. But just for the record. ;)

Good call on the pretentiousness.

Yet, often I think people take the normal behaviour of a person of means as being pretentious, whereas they are simply being themselves. Granted, they could be pretentious, but often this is a reflection on the viewer's inferiority complexes.

Once I saw a man in Asnieres-sur-Seine where I lived wearing a smallish Tag Link on rubber strap (Quartz i think) like it was a Solid Gold Yachtmaster with diamond encrusted bezel.. He wore his sleeves rolled in the middle of winter so that his watch could be clearly seen. I don't think anyone paid attention to him, but I noticed his effort.

Ahh, good eye. I notice those things too.

But I'm much more amused, and less put off by that, than perhaps you seem to be. I like finding out what people are like, when they think they are not being watched, but want to be.

On the other hand in Italy... Anything goes.

Right!

Cars and Fashion are what drives the Italian Psyche.

Agreed 100%. Cutting la bella figura SOMETIMES includes a good watch, but more often it's about an overall projection of presence.

I've seen quite a few rolexes (not sure if reps or not) on lots of the shop owners and realestate workers in Perugia where i lived.

Perugia is an interesting town, I've been told. They certainly had a crazy football manager, perhaps in keeping with its roguish spirit. ;)

But they never seemed to show them off or try to let other people know what they had on their wrist. Although they always made sure that their sunglasses had the biggest most obvious Armani Eagle plastered onto the side. Or the most sparkly glitzy gucci t-shirt that one could purchase. Italy is the only place where I've seen garbage men dressed in Gucci Sunglasses with Dolce & Gabbana t-shirts (i kid you not). Perugia is a Fashionable place of but not particularly when it comes to watches.

Fascinating.

Personally, I'll never forget the gold lam

This has the makings of an excellent term-paper, Miss Barrett.

Ahh, my perpetual Head Girl and hall monitor persona strikes back.

One day, I'll tell you how I saved the parents' day show by playing the recorder when the girl assigned the role, fell grossly ill, but I too digress.

Wrong on all counts as pertains to me. I don't really don't give a flying (censored word for copulation) about any of that: for me, it's just the very infantile pleasure of having something that I consider really neat. Like the Lone Ranger combination compass, flashlight and siren that I had when I was eight or nine years old, and that was stolen from me at summer camp. Never got over it. One should never underestimate the power of childhood memories: e.g., 'Citizen Kane'.

Bonjour! (Variant to Hello, which I've overused today).

You're telling the girl with the Mickey Mouse watch memory this?? ;)

I agree it seemed out of relation to you, but just mentioning it in general. I'm sure it does apply, unconsciously, to some.

Conclusion: B+ as it stands, and possibly an A with a little polishing and further reflection.

Sorry, Miss! Shall I take 100 lines?

Know that there is more to this world than psychology can ever fathom. Was it you who said that Freud was specific to a time and place? Peu importe. We've all moved on from there, and if nothing else, the twentieth century should have taught us to be cautious about men bearing gifts which offer universal explanations and solutions. Even if there are broad empirical categories, I believe that there is no Unified Field Theory concerning human behavoir. Thank God.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :clap: :clap:

Keep up the good work - and keep the faith.

Thank you!! Keep on trucking, Ryyannon de Beauvoir!

Crikey, the part I wrote about the phallus/flashlight....I never thought of it that way before... but it's so obvious now...this explains everything that was to follow (and much of went before)....

I believe I'm having a breakthrough :band1:

Thank you, Dr. Barrett! :thumbs:

Thank you!! :notworthy:

p.s.: do you have a tip jar? :winkiss:

Crikey, the part I wrote about the phallus/flashlight....I never thought of it that way before... but it's so obvious now...this explains everything that was to follow (and much of went before)....

Of course! What do you think the musty old scary wardrobe of my granddad's represents?? The comforting, but slightly constricting womb of one's mother, ever ready to suck you back in.

Uh. Yeah. That's it.

I believe I'm having a breakthrough :band1:

Thank you, Dr. Barrett! :thumbs:

2 more years, and that would've been true. Ah well.

Thank you!! :notworthy:

p.s.: do you have a tip jar? :winkiss:

Since I am the RWG 'dame de pipi', you bet.

The police often question him, just because they find him interesting.

His beard alone has experienced more than a lesser man's entire body.

His blood smells like cologne.

He is the most interesting man in the world.

Chuck Norris?

No wait a minute...can't be:

no one has ever succeeded in drawing blood from him.

Chuck doesn't have blood. He has mercury pumping through his veins.

Mercury....eh? I've always been told that chuck norris had pure Texan, crude oil running through those karate chop veins of his. wilder than the wildest stallion, and more explosive than dolly parton's hair on a concert day. HIIIIIIIYAH!

Edited by plaifender