When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newest addition to the family.

gioarmani

Here's a Rolex Daydate I received from Offshore, here at RWG. Five business days door to door, from Australia to Florida.

I was never too fond of these, but it's growing on me. For the offer that was made, I couldn't really pass it up. I originally bought it for my girl, but there aren't enough removable links to come close to making this fit her (she's got a 5 inch wrist...) I guess I'll have to wear it.

I sealed the gaskets & regulated the movement yesterday and it's keeping pretty damn accurate time now. Also buffed the sides of the band from a brushed to a polished finish, re-polished the tops of the center links and the case, crown & bezel. Shines like a mirror in the sun; just like the white-gold gen version. ;)

I'm not familiar with the movement though; I was sure it'd have a 2836 in it, but it's stamped 2169? Pain the ass to regulate. I'm sure this is an ETA, but I'm not the expert; have a look:

306439-81.jpg

306439-82.jpg

306439-83.jpg

306439-84.jpg

306439-85.jpg

306439-86.jpg

306439-87.jpg

306439-88.jpg

306439-89.jpg

Thanks again!

I own several datejusts and the bands fit perfect. The fit and finish of all Rolex watches (gens) are always on the money....never glaring issues like your watch band.

Daunwaun?

This isn't a Datejust; it's a Daydate.

Again, as stated previously, it depends on the model year. Two posts above contain a picture of a $21K genuine that obviously does not fit.

Edited by gioarmani

And guess what? It actually is an ETA.

Lifting the sticker from this:

IMG_0006-2.jpg

To this:

IMG_0003-2.jpg

Interesting story from an RWI member named davethecat:

"It's an ETA.

2169 is a numbering used for Enicar 11.5L 21,600 a/h with the day date module.

The Enicar/Racine (see the comical twist) watch company has a strange history that ultimately winds into selling its movement business unit to ETA sometime in the late 60's. Afterwards they outsourced much of their movement needs to ETA. They were always proud of their "AR" badged in-house movements (even though many were A Schild or the like) - so they coaxed ETA into using their numbering system on ETA 28XX movements.

I though the practice of using Enicar number had ended. So you may have a scavenged movement.

If you're really curious, you might lift the sticker on the rotor and see what marks are there.

In the end, you're probabaly in great shape. No worries."

Fascinating. You learn something new every day. :)

Giormani/all,

This was a watch, I purchased in my early days of collecting. So it could be as much as 5-6 yo, although again my thoughts are 3-4yo.

My memory of this purchase is not so good, (I will actually go back to old RWG/TRC times and see if I can refresh it!)

However, I KNOW for sure it was purchased as an ETA!! And I am almost certain it was from EL.

I know it was purchased around the time I had my infamous dust up with the delectable Natalie Lee, as this was purchased to replace a similar model that went "missing" back then.

I do know I paid close to U$200 ( the figure of U$185 keeps popping in to my head)

Like a lot of others, it arrived, was sized, worn once or twice, and found its way in to my box, there to sit for these years.

As I didn't have a Rolex tool back then, it was never opened, and I don't beleive it ever was, so giormani would be the 1st to see inside it. Definetly never serviced ( shit it was an ETA.... wouldn't need it :rolleyes: )

Also please all understand, that at one time I had something like 80 reps, so it is difficult to keep an actual/factual track of all of them, unless one runs spreadsheets, and all that sort of stuff, which is not my go.

Any email records, are long since gone in computer crashes or replacements.

Will be interested to see a final consensus on this one ( and will of course come to an amicable arrangement with giormani, if need be).... hell this could rewrite the LWL thread ( heaven forbid).... just predate what we already know!!

Offshore

PS, Just sitting here now, trying to date this thing. I do remember wearing it one day at the Sydney Boat Show in July 2003, and I don't think it was very old then.

EDIT to add, This was definetly the bracelet it came with!

Absolutely not a problem! I am completely satisfied with it--like I said, fast as hell shipping & a price I couldn't pass up! :)

As for the movement, after being filled in by davethecat @ RWI, (and doing some homework online) ETA appears to be 100% correct.

Now I'm almost skeptical about replacing this band with the Rolesor...I like the asymetrical look; more old-fashioned. Plus polishing & brushing another band seems redundant.

On a side note, can anyone tell if this is a recent font or an older one in the day-window? Might help me to determine which way to go with the band.

(Wearing this one to dinner in a few days with my new Armani at Le Train Bleu, & La Fermette Marbeuf, in Paris :)

http://www.le-train-bleu.com/uk/navigation.htm

http://www.bestrestaurantsparis.com/restau...te-marbeuf.html

Edited by gioarmani