When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How reliable is the PVD coating on reps...???

frankt

I just got my first Panny rep...a 195 Swiss movement....How much wear will the rep PVD coating resist compared to OEM..??

My first impulse is to wear this puppy a LOT, but I really don't want to see bright spots popping through too soon!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm not sure exactly what is used on the PAM PVD replicas, but whatever it is it does hold up reasonably well. They've been out for about a year now and I've not heard or seen any problems such as the coating flaking off of anything like that.

However, just like an authentic watch with PVD coatings, it will get scratched. That's actually part of the "charm" of those watches, how they wear and patina with time. Just wear the watch, try to be careful not to get huge gouges in it, but don't worry too much about it.

BTW, a black Sharpie can be used to to sorta hide minor scratches. I just color in the scratch and then use my finger to wipe it out blend it with the rest of the watch. Don't go overboard doing this, but it will minimize how obvious the scratch is.

It is not real PVD but painted black to look like PVD.. Sorry to disapoint you but it is not so durable and it may scratch easily...

Just to clarify, if you have the $200+ "PVD" rep, it is NOT painted. it is something called ION-PLATED I believe. I could be wrong though. for reps around $40 are for sure "PAINTED" either way, you should wear it well. some peolpe prefer the worn out look.

Well this ain't a $40.00 rep....and the surface doesn't

seem to be painted on....More like the "bluing" on a well made gun...Only time will tell, and if the case eventually goes "south", there are reasonable alternatives...Plus...it's just a fakkin watch after all...I've got a few dozen more on hand!! :3a: