When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AR Coating in the States

Steve G

As some of have been searching for a source to do AR coating. I've looked around and called many people. I have finally found an optic coater willing to try out my watch crystals. They can do single or double sided. My concern however, is they primarily do eye glasses. They're process seems good and they are qutie reasonable, they're even sending me packaging materials to send out the crystals. They said they would be willing to do them for less if I offered them higher volume.

My concern is that the effect of their coating is green hue as opposed to the blue/purple we've seen. This is somewhat discouraging for my Breitling Navi and UPO watches. Maybe Panerai would benefit from this???

I need some advise from those more experienced, perhaps Mr. Chieftang???

Thanks all

Edited by Steve G

Here is the company's website: http://www.getarcoating.com/

I'm not trying to withhold information. So far they seemed the most willing to help and most reasonable. A lot of people I talked to wanted large lot sizes to even make it cost effective. They are willing to do the 5 or 6 I want done.

My other issues is stripping the existing coating off the Navi and UPO's. If anyone has some experience doing that, I would appreciate some tips.

Be careful with cheap AR coating. I had it done on my prescription Cartier eyeglasses for $99 with transition lenses. The coating started to spot and wear off after a while. Very annoying. I recently had them redone sans AR coating. I have taken them to Pearle vision and they told me about a coating named Crizal. This is supposed to be the best in the industry and goes for around $150 per 2 lenses. I asked them about watch crystals and they said no problem as long as they weren't installed in a watch. Would run $75 per crystal.

Steve did you inquire as to whether they have the bluer hues, maybe show them an example of what you want it to look like?

Just wondering if they said they can only do green.

Good luck!

I did..it seems they have what they have. Some other coaters I spoke with said the hue color can be tweaked to a desired effect, however the cost to have it done made it crazy. I'm on the fence because what they do is primarily for eyewear. What Cheiftang did and others might be more what the Gens use as the coating process might be different.

I'm confused, yet excited. This damn obsessive hobby.

The crystals being sapphire (Let's not even open up that can of worms) didn't seem to offer any issues in respect to their coating offered. I'm thinking of having them do my new prescription lenses if nothing else. Maybe I should let that be my test run.

Edited by Steve G

My other issues is stripping the existing coating off the Navi and UPO's. If anyone has some experience doing that, I would appreciate some tips.

i had scratches on the AR on my breitling big date, which had single coated AR on the outer part of the crystal and all i did was use soap and water with a brissel pad and it came right off. i was kinda surprised, but it did work.