When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bling Bling DD!

cc

Hi my friend ... (laz takes shades of) :)

Thats some serious competition to 50 cent and the likes hehe , i just traded my tt serti dial sub as i found it to much for me ...

now this this is even on a level up from that in terms of bling ... :) all do i must say i like the wrist shoot werry much !

Kind regards laz

I'm kind of puzzled by the 'Oysterquartz' on the dial...

Care to explain???

Rolex made quartz watches (actually they had a hand in their development in the fifties) right up untill 2001.

I'm also puzzled 'cause I thought the OQDD was supposed to look like this:

19048.gif

I had read that they all had integrated bands (as opposed to the standard 17, 19,20mm lugs on the perpetual models) and have never personally seen a model that didn't.

Edited by giorgio

Rolex made quartz watches (actually they had a hand in their development in the fifties) right up untill 2001.

I'm also puzzled 'cause I thought the OQDD was supposed to look like this:

19048.gif

I had read that they all had integrated bands (as opposed to the standard 17, 19,20mm lugs on the perpetual models) and have never personally seen a model that didn't. If that is indeed genuine, it could fetch upwards of $20-25K

Yep, but this one is obviously an automatic (the oysterquartz case where really different, heading to a RO design, without the elegance)... so... is this a gen???

Yep, but this one is obviously an automatic (the oysterquartz case where really different, heading to a RO design, without the elegance)... so... is this a gen???

I never thought about it, but yeah, you could compare it to a RO. (looking at my pic now). Like I said, I've never heard of one that looked like that either, but I'm far from an expert.

Okay, I'm not an expert, but I'm going to have to call this one out.

-Diamond markers are all squared up when they should be arranges in a circle following the curve of the dial (edit - apparently, this has been done)

-Diamond markers should be sitting against the chapter ring (edit - apparently this has been done)

-Automatic oyster style case with standard lugs and presidential bracelet not known in oysterquartz (?)

-Oysterquartz moves in "precise" one second increments and anything less is impossible

From www.oysterquartz.net:

The drive mechanism for the 5035/5055 is very similar to the design of a traditional mechanical watch escapement. The pulse motor drives a pallet fork which in turn moves a pallet wheel. This wheel drives the second hand at a 1:1 ratio with one tick per second. The hour and minute hands are driven off this pallet wheel. The loud "tick" you hear every second are the pallets engaging the pallet wheel. That is why the tick of the 5035/5055 has such a unique sound and is very much like the tick of a mechanical watch, though at one tick per second rather than the eight ticks per second of a 28,800 bph Rolex Perpetual movement. This drive mechanism also ensures the second hand steps around the dial smartly with zero backlash since the hand is effectively locked in place by the pallet fork in between each beat.

-Second hand on this one appears to be "sweeping". (see picture)

fake.jpg

Because of this, it should be impossible for the second hand to be in those two different positions on the same watch.

I won't even talk about the 16+ year old battery.

My opinion: Questionable.

Sorry if I'm wrong (or right)

Edited by giorgio

I don't have a problem with this watch. It's an early Oysterquartz as evidenced by the open 9 on the 29 in the date window. Rolex cased a number of the early oysterquartz watches in the automatic cases and ironically, even put a few automatics in the oysterquartz cases. Back in the late 70's early 80's they did stuff like that.

I don't have a problem with this watch. It's an early Oysterquartz as evidenced by the open 9 on the 29 in the date window. Rolex cased a number of the early oysterquartz watches in the automatic cases and ironically, even put a few automatics in the oysterquartz cases. Back in the late 70's early 80's they did stuff like that.

Can you account for the second hand moving in less than one second increments?

I have to say every individual component of this watch looks good, but together is off somehow. So I asked a buddy of mine and he said that they did do the diamond markers like that on some of the DD quartz models. The dial does look good (print, font, etc.) but the case and second hand so bug me. The gold/diamond day/date quartz has become a collectible piece, so it would be a shame if this was genuine and someone swapped cases on it.

*edit* - so what's the story behind it CC?

Edited by giorgio

hell guys. i wanted to post since this is the first time i've seen it in a long time.

i have been around my parents lately since my sister left to china be an English Professor. My father noticed i have been wearing really nice (mostly rep) watches so last night he came over with a little red velvet bag. I asked him what was in it and he replied "your grandfathers watch". I asked my father i didnt remember him giving me one......he passed away in 1992 with Colon Caner. he replied "of course you dont... you were only 9. your grandfather wanted to give this to you when you are old enough. you last saw it when we went to the bank security box to store it. you put it on and said it was too girly girly and mom should wear it."

the watch and looks kinda...well.... 80's bling blingish. A Gold Rolex was stylish i guess in the 80's. My grandpa was very wealthy during the latter part of his life. I took some pictures of it before my dad takes it to his watchsmith to get it cleaned. after that, it's put back in its resting place till i decide to....pass it on to my grandson.

It is an GEN OysterQuartz DD. I asked my father what it was purchased for and he said 26k. i assume it is worth more now? i'm not a huge rolex fan but the 1680 has been catching my eye.

Just wanted to share with you guys i own a Rollie that i forgot about. i feel like an Asian 80's Gangster Rapper with it on.........lol