When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The operation was a success

TeeJay

My GMT Submariner project...

The parts arrived today, and, thanks to a set of rubber gloves, I was able to open the casebacks. Stripped out the movements and set about swapping the dials... The Sub dial's center hole wasn't wide enough to go over the extra width for the GMT movement, so I got a round file, and started twisting... I got a bit carried away and the hole wound up too large. Scrapped it. I then remembered the spare vintage dial I have from the Silix Rolex, so same procedure, stripped it and gently enlarged the hole, and, removing the locating pins, the dial went over perfectly. A tiny dab of superglue fixed the dial in place, the hands went back on flawlessly, so it was time to replace the movement in the case. This was where things really went wrong, as the crown wouldn't properly engage. The movement had worked after the hands and dial were replaced, so I know there wasn't any glue seeped into the movement, so I'm guessing something's fouled up the keyless works (if that's the right part) and it just won't engage the crown. Oh well, both watches were

Edited by TeeJay

It is the best way to learn TJ

Indeed, I'm not too concerned, as I'm getting a new vintage dial from Silix for the vintage Submariner, and I can always order another Submariner and GMT Master II and try again. Oh, I forgot to say, by putting the dateless dial in the GMT case, I had to remove the cyclops, and, a cigar lighter (aka mini blowtorch) did that effortlessly :)

So I decided to have another look at the watch, and I noticed that a piece of metal just beneath where the crown stem enters the movement had slipped down, so, a flick of a craft knife to put it back into place, and, the movement then engaged the stem :D

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

Pics of the watch to follow in due time :D

Cant wait .. sounds interesting. I am really tempted to give this modding lark a try.

It's something I've had in mind for several months, but always had 'more important' watches to buy before getting into it. The result isn't entirely as planned, as I wanted a contemporary Submariner dial in the GMT case, but wound up having to use the vintage Submariner dial... Oh well, it'll suffice untill I can order more parts in to try again :)

great news TJ, so the whole project cost you what

Are you using the correct crown stem, ie were the stems the same for both watches, have you got the GMT one in the GMT works and the sub one in the sub works?

Yes, I was careful not to mix the parts like that :) The stem for the sub actually broke off going back in, so has totally fouled that movement, but for

Another q

does the movement stop at a particular point every time or area on the dial? i dont mean catching just stopping particualy around 9

I think I've solved the problem. The 'back' of the second hand had gotten slightly bent down, and had been catching against the minute hand. I stripped the watch, tweaked the hand, and it seems to have done the trick :)