When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinions on movement?

grebeck

If you define "superior" by accuracy, the quartz will win hands down (sorry, bad pun)

If you like the fact that the second hand sweeps, the watch needs no battery, etc., and you get some kind of inexplicable satisfaction from the "soul" of a mechanical watch (and sometimes you can see it through the little window in the back), and have an appreciation of the centuries old craft of watchmaking (ok, ok I know were talking about a cheap Asian movement here, but I'm a romantic so humour me), then you could possibly define the automatic as superior....I do.

Really apples to oranges IMO.

If you define "superior" by accuracy, the quartz will win hands down (sorry, bad pun)

If you like the fact that the second hand sweeps, the watch needs no battery, etc., and you get some kind of inexplicable satisfaction from the "soul" of a mechanical watch (and sometimes you can see it through the little window in the back), and have an appreciation of the centuries old craft of watchmaking (ok, ok I know were talking about a cheap Asian movement here, but I'm a romantic so humour me), then you could possibly define the automatic as superior....I do.

Really apples to oranges IMO.

i am not really the master of movements here (my knowledge is limited). i think this question should go to The Zigmeister, he is the master.

but my opinion is pretty mich the same as yours. i don´t like quartz movements. the fascination about watches for me lies in the mechanical movements and the fact what immense achievement it was to develop and build them 100 years ago

Define "Superior" and then a better opinion can be given.

Quartz in my mind will never be superior to any mechanical movement, no matter how accurate it is...accuracy doesnt' override a mechanical miracle in minuature...

RG

To me, arguing the "superiority" of quartz v. mechanical is like comparing California sparkling wine and French Champagne. If someone really wants to argue that the former is "functionally superior" to the latter and backs it up with alcohol content, cost-performance ratios and blind taste test results that show 97 out of 100 people in Texarkana can't tell the difference, I respect his right to do so. But he will have to respect my right to spend my time doing something more productive than listening to him.