When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

More guns and watches

section8

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you have this pre-occupation with talking about USA like it is some crime infested hellhole?

You missed my point. It is the Americans here on this forum that keep telling me they need guns to protect their families. I'm merely acknowledging this and trying to move on.

I'm not trying to say one country is better than another, but every time I post about how we don't need guns in the UK, it is misinterpreted as "... and the US SUCKS!!!" Maybe I need to revisit my writing style. How's about this:

In a country that has free access to guns, you need guns. In a country that doesn't have free access to guns you don't need guns. The ability to buy guns over the counter doesn't make a country better or worse than one where you can't buy guns over the counter. Please stop waving your guns around as a measure of your freedom as countries without the right to bear arms are no less free.

Is that clear and unambiguous enough?

And yes, I've been to the US and didn't feel like someone was going to shoot me at every street corner. That is far from my point: I'm not the one posting that I need guns.

Ok here's BBC, looks like you might have to worry about your watches getting "vandalized"

Nice. Someone doesn't know how to read statistics. :D

An increase in vandalised cars does not equate to horrific crime on every street corner. Violent crime has been on a steady decrease, for instance.

Besides, I don't understand why the UK crime figures are relevant. You sound like you're just arguing with anything I post to try to win some argument that's simply not there.

You missed my point. It is the Americans here on this forum that keep telling me they need guns to protect their families. I'm merely acknowledging this and trying to move on.

Not really, Pugwash. You're not the worst exemplar of this, but a lot of people in this forum really really dislike Americans having access to handguns.

They are condenscending to a degree that is all too common when talking of anything USA: a mixture of "European" cultural superiority (read, more civilised), pity, and horror, that has reached fever pitch levels since 2001 and Katrina.

In turn, this makes Americans defensive, but given their cultural nature, their best defence is offence.

They in this thread and others, including I, are trying to explain the reasons WHY SOME Americans own handguns, find nothing wrong in doing so, and in fact, rather enjoy it, like many people enjoying buying counterfeit watches.

They are also pointing out that the previous non-violent paradise many people have in the Old Continent is fast disappearing, to your well-being.

In turn, it seems that there is zero real understanding from certain people of why this is so, which strikes many Americans as bigotted bias.

The equivalent is something like this:

Marijuana usage is legal, or at least tolerated in many countries. It isn't in the USA.

Some people like this, some don't, on both sides.

But can you imagine if almost every European forum member felt his culture being attacked by Americans, because they can legally own this psychotropic substance?

Can you imagine how people would feel if they threw statistics in their face at every turn, inferring everything from degeneracy to complete incomprehensibility about this cultural "quirk"?

Part of this phenomenon is about jealousy. Part of this phenomenon is about bias. Part of this phenomenon is about horror.

And there is no end in sight about the judgemental, insidiously dismissive tone some people use about Americans about this, or any other topic where Americans are seen as bucking the world trend.

It's a shame, because I think we all of us have a lot to learn about each other, without these mutual biases interrupting our dialogue.

Won't someone please rise above the bias, and defensiveness, and just listen to each other without insults?

P.S.: I'll be back to this thread shortly. Boy have I got a humdinger of a photograph for you guys. WAIT FOR IT! ;)

Switzerland and Canada all have guns and I never saw them cited in this debate. Those countries just don't have as much of the kinds of social issues (breakdown of family, no good male role models, poor parenting, poverty, lack of education) that some areas of USA does. Judging from the relatively low crime and violence in those countries I would say guns are not really the issue, it is other things that are causing the violence. I think unrestricted access to guns can be dangerous but I also think that a country where owning guns is allowed does not mean everyone is at heightened risk. It's also difficult to make generalizations about places even if it is backed up by statistics. Colombia with a noted history of violence was mentioned here. I traveled all throughout that country and never had any trouble, the people were very nice. Most of the people are super nice there, it is the FARC and narco terrorists who ruin it for the peaceful good folks. I don't recommend sporting a replica Rolex though in a country with that many poor people. That's a good place to break out the plastic Timex.

P.S.: I'll be back to this thread shortly. Boy have I got a humdinger of a photograph for you guys. WAIT FOR IT! ;)

Are we finally going to see a little frontal nudity, Miss Barrett?

Aside:

What a freak-show: people posting heavy artillery, others saying they can 'get by' with box-cutters and gutting-knives - all of them convinced that they are somehow culturally superior to the next guy.

And everyone dead serious about their position:

Nightsticks and water cannons, tear gas, padlocks,

Molotov cocktails and rocks behind every curtain...

- Bob Dylan: Jokerman

Bring on the pics, Vicky....

Are we finally going to see a little frontal nudity, Miss Barrett?

What a horndog!

By the way, I was amused/horrified yesterday when I got my first vaguely male creep PM at another watch forum (thankfully). It read:

"Hello

I take it your a female."

Note the spelling, and abrupt, rather chilling question about gender. I sniffed, and deleted. ;)

What a freak-show: people posting heavy artillery, others saying they can 'get by' with box-cutters and gutting-knives - all of them convinced that they are somehow culturally superior to the next guy.

Yeppers.

And everyone dead serious about their position.

Well, you know...we in the West more or less have most problems solved. We have democracy. We have universal suffrage. We have relative amounts of freedom, and safety that other peoples would kill for.

I really don't see too many hot button issues within OUR OWN to keep us going.

America-cultural bashing is pretty much it for many.

Bring on the pics, Vicky....

I was young. I needed the money.

Switzerland and Canada all have guns and I never saw them cited in this debate.

Switzerland has a reputation for being rather dull, boring, and safe. Canada is cited by many people as a social paradise because their politics are a little closer to what they offer, as opposed to the USA.

Nothing wrong with either, but it goes to explaining a lot about the pass they get, even without this "trumpeting" issue heard below.

That's a good place to break out the plastic Timex.

In Rio de Janeiro, and S

For one intent on bringing as much humour to the forum as possible, you're remarkably adept at missing it.

For one intent on bringing as much humour to the forum as possible, you're remarkably adept at missing it.

Ryyannon not only pokes fun at life, at others, at the whole crazy world we live in, to his inestimable credit, he also pokes fun at himself.

That is something many a Brit, we who pride ourselves about being so self-deprecating, could certainly learn a thing or two from.

Sometimes, it's even intentional. :lol:

(see? humour, again)

Speaking of humour, it is often said the Irish not only taught the English how to speak the English launguage correctly, but to be funny whilst they're at it.

"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude" - Oscar Wilde

I wonder what old Oscar would make of this entire thread. Probably call over Bosey to snigger at us all.

The pics, Miss Barrett, the pics.....

Yes V the pics please..ante up...I will throw in your completely modded 005 for a nice frontal shot without clothes but lingerie would work :lol: and hell ryyannon I might just send you something in the mail for having the balls to ask, in a funny way of course.

@Pugwash

Pugwash I live in America and the guns that I own are collector 'arms' Never have I purchased a gun in case of a home invasion. I have been here all my life and have neve felt threatened. So I DO NOT NEED GUNS nor feel the need to own them since I live in a county that is very violent.

Aslo mate. I have never felt better than anyone or have ever felt that America is better than other countries. Actually, I would say that America ranks the lowest and least desirable place to live amongst the other civilized nations.

Having said all that can we please get back to the main subject matter. Pictures of watches and guns.For most posters on this thread it has been "my [censored] is big then your [censored]". Censored being [censored] for those whom lack logic. Well guess what who the [censored] cares. I never played those games because when your packing 2 inches like me :o you would loose everytime.

Cheers

Edited by TWP

Yes V the pics please..ante up...I will throw in your completely modded 005 for a nice frontal shot without clothes but lingerie would work :lol: and hell ryyannon I might just send you something in the mail for having the balls to ask, in a funny way of course.

Where's my 005, beeatch!

Aslo mate. I have never felt better than anyone or have ever felt that America is better than other countries. Actually, I would say that America ranks the lowest and least desirable place to live amongst the other civilized nations.

I've lived in 4 continents in 11 nations, travelled to more places than people could visit in 3 lifetimes (including Cuba) and the US of A is the only place in the world I'd care to raise a family -- save England, of course, but I'm partial to cream teas.

I never played those games because when your packing 2 inches like me :o you would loose everytime.

:o

The Irish Curse strikes again.

Where's my 005, beeatch!

Do you know how busy i have been and how many dials i have wasted trying to get yours right? Relax V. Also 183 is here for you. Just waiting for Princess V to ask, in the most polite way, to ship ;)

America is a great place to raise children. However my wife and I are giving serious thought to Australia. That is, of course, if we can get Kenburg's approval.

The two inch thing. Joke obviously. I pack 8 at least ;) No joke. I will take some pictures to prove if you doubt me your highness;)

Edited by TWP

See, guys? This is the way to get someone to show you their goods.

So next time you're wanting to see a woman's rack, just tell her a little bird told you she's got mosquito bites for boobs. SUCKAZZ!!

P.S.: Just messin' witchu, TWP. Take all the time you need, my prince. ;)

P.P.S.: Australia rocks.

See, guys? This is the way to get someone to show you their goods.

So next time you're wanting to see a woman's rack, just tell her a little bird told you she's got mosquito bites for boobs. SUCKAZZ!!

P.S.: Just messin' witchu, TWP. Take all the time you need, my prince. ;)

P.P.S.: Australia rocks.

Australia is a nice place. I have been a couple of times. Trying to get work visa to go over and perhaps take residence there.

Okay so V, i have heard you got mosquito bites for boobs :p

I've lived in 4 continents in 11 nations, travelled to more places than people could visit in 3 lifetimes (including Cuba)

Yes....but always under the umbrella of Daddy and Mommy....no?

Okay so V, i have heard you got mosquito bites for boobs

Going by the fingers I wouldn't say so........besides I think she posted somewhere that she possesses a 'big' personality....I think that may be Internetspeak for big thighs.....could be wrong tho'...I have been before.....but not often .... :lol:

Edited by TTK