When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

strap making

dadog13

for some time i am thinking of making some watch straps...just for hobby...

have done some research....found some info but i would like to know from you...if there are some experts in the field...for a little help....

i've found some books where is written some about leathercraft....good books....written by al stolhman (i think that is the name of the author)....

found some leathercraft tools & equipment that i think would be needed to strat the project...

the only thing that i miss is the leather...any of you know some source where i could fine good leather for my strap project...would be nice to have some link if you know some (searched on e-bay - but i simply do not know what kind & type of leather would be good for this kind of project)...

so guys, every kind of help would be appriciated...

you can tell me what tools would i need to have for the project...and what kind of leather & where could i buy it...My big problem is that in my town (where i live it is difficult-impossible to source leather....the good thing is that i live 100km from italy....land of leathercraft...where i could for sure source some good leather)

tnx in advance

regards,

Vladimir

go buy some cheap wallet and take it apart :D

well, that was my first idea...find something in the house that i do not need any more any start my project...but the bad thing is that i trow away everything that i don't need and after some time i regret...so difficult that i find something that is good enough for my project...

i would need to source something like @veni did and then start making the strap project

I know where you can find it in Greece... Haven't bought anything online so you GOT to search for leather suppliers.

so when i come in greece you'll take me to those suppliers! :lol:

well, i search & search...but it is difficult to source good leather online if you are not an expert...it is different when you hold a piece of leather in your own hand...

Im going to write something like 'how to' about strap making, cuz Ive made already a couple for me and my friends, I still regard my strapworks as awful, but my friends tell me to stick with this thing and improve my skills :)

Anyway Ill say to you what I was learned of myself.

Dont use best quality leather for your first strap project. Unless youre a cobbler dont do it, It wont look good and you will wear another one youll make in the future. It wioudl be a great waste of good leather.

But thats my advices. Anyway you will need a razor knife (or something simillar that is very very sharp to cut the leather), good glue ment for leather, something to press glued leather for time for the glue dry, some tools to do the holes ment for future stitching (i use a simple spike and hammer), then youll have to decide what kind of stitching will you do, straight, angled, couloured, matchng etc so also you will need a thick, strong thread and hooked or normal needle. In the end youll have do the holes for your buckle.

And thats it, but please, take your time and dont hurry. Patience works better than rush in here, although you would want to have this strap finished in 2h (that can be done) other than waiting 24h for the glue to dry properly :)

Have fun, its addicting the same way as Panerais are :D

btw, I done this few days ago, a black tan, white stitching :)

50106-36384.jpg

Edited by pubus

Im going to write something like 'how to' about strap making, cuz Ive made already a couple for me and my friends, I still regard my strapworks as awful, but my friends tell me to stick with this thing and improve my skills :)

Anyway Ill say to you what I was learned of myself.

Dont use best quality leather for your first strap project. Unless youre a cobbler dont do it, It wont look good and you will wear another one youll make in the future. It wioudl be a great waste of good leather.

But thats my advices. Anyway you will need a razor knife (or something simillar that is very very sharp to cut the leather), good glue ment for leather, something to press glued leather for time for the glue dry, some tools to do the holes ment for future stitching (i use a simple spike and hammer), then youll have to decide what kind of stitching will you do, straight, angled, couloured, matchng etc and in the end youll have do the holes for your buckle.

And thats it, but please, take your time and dont hurry. Patience works better than ruch in here, although you would want to have this strap finished in 2h (that can be done) other than waiting 24h for the glue to dry properly :)

Have fun, its addicting the same way as Panerais are :D

btw, I done this few days ago, a black tan, white stitching :)

50111-36383.jpg

tnx for the advice...

i find it clever to strat the project with leather of lower quality...that is a really good advice...because i have to learn...

just a question about stiching...how can i learn the different metods of stiching...should i buy myself a book or it can be found on the web?

tnx,

Vladimir

best way to learn everything is to try :) I dont know if there are books about stitching, I asked Aaron in email, got some clues, but never a whole answer and tried tried tried :)

tnx for the tip...definitely practice is the most efficient weay to learn...

BTW...i found this book...it is a great one, it was told to me by some people on some other forum...

so it may be of some help to you @pubus....

You can also look here for supplys and leather:

http://www.tandyleather.com/

Of course, it's much easier if you're near one of their retail locations and can simply walk in and look at the leather material on hand - and I realize that doesn't help the original poster that much...

Try to make your first straps with scrap material - you really don't need very much material at all. A belt or small purse would do nicely, and if you could find an old jacket you'd really have enough material for dozens of straps. Old furniture or car seats might be another good source of materials.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JOHN PERCY

WOW

I post a question about watch straps, go to do the washing up and ironing and when I come back everyones chatting away. Lots of great information. What I really want is a Jack and Jill guide to strap making that breaks the whole operation down to very simplistic steps - pick up the needle, push threat through the non pointed end etc etc. You know what I mean. Keep chatting guys but keep looking also.