When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA or ? to replace Rolex Movement

elmo

I have a Rolex Red Sub 1680 but the movement 1575 (1570) is a bad.

I wonder which ETA or ? will fit the factory case and dial face so the date window lines up.

The eta movements I have all have the date wheel too far to the edge to match the 1680 dial face and the fake dial faces made for ETA's are too large for the genuine Rolex case.

Is it a gen 16809 all the way?

Apart from that - send me that 1575 i will buy it. :) You will need a 2836 or equivalent slow beat movement, a date overlay and new hands.

Yes, gen.

I was offered over $2,000.00 US for the case (has new crystal/seals/bezel), the dial face (needs refinished) and the movement which is in pieces.

I working toward finishing the restoration, but so far the best price I have to rebuild the movement is $1200 to $1300 US and $260 to refinish the dial. I thought it too much

I have a Rolex Red Sub 1680 but the movement 1575 (1570) is a bad.

I wonder which ETA or ? will fit the factory case and dial face so the date window lines up.

The eta movements I have all have the date wheel too far to the edge to match the 1680 dial face and the fake dial faces made for ETA's are too large for the genuine Rolex case.

are you interested for a deal?

i will send you a new swiss eta 2836.

and i get your 1575.

deal? :rolleyes:

• 15 years later...

I have a Real frankinstine rolex, 1530 no auto wind just manual, with a trimmed down one speed king dial, football jubilee bracelet, Looks fantastic. It was a practice watch from my early years, now my Hans shake and bad eyes, nephew's kid stretched out my balance spring when they visited, lost the balance, and flooded with mobs oil and stored in a box for 18 yrs, can  anybody replace the balance, 2balance jewels and clean it and oil? for less than one thousand? please It needs to run again,

I forgot you guy's like picturesimage.thumb.jpeg.4c679d3b10e87264d083f27b0ac4bc3e.jpeg

20191120_112233.jpg

20191120_112451.jpg

Air King needing oem parts:

This used to be a fairly simple fix and I hate to say it but a 1530 'balance complete' plus a few more parts, labor etc. can easily end up being $1 to $2 thousand dollars (or more) at today's insane prices.  To make matters worse, a good 1530 balance is getting hard to find.

I have been down this road a few times back when parts cost about one fourth of what they are today, it still cost quite a bit with only $$ spent for parts as we had a Rolex parts account back then and my labor is free.  

One option is to buy a ratty watch with a good 1530 movement but after having the movement serviced, you may still be upside down in $$ spent vs the current value of the watch.

I'm afraid there is not much good news on a project like this.

Kudos to the original poster on another forum.   :good:

(a few sentences/words not pertaining to your repair have been removed)

6-8-23   The 1530 and the 1520 movements have a large number of identical parts and it is often difficult to know how a movement started out as a lot of parts get swapped during servicing over the last 60 years or so. There were many versions of each movement produced as technical improvements were introduced during the manufacturing period, and also some markets had movements made with different jewel counts.

As stated above, the earlier 1530 movement had a frequency of 18,000 beats per hour whereas the later 1520 movement had a frequency of 19,800 beats per hour.
The two balance assemblies are different as the 1530 had a Brequet overcoil and Microstella adjustment whereas the 1520, intended to be a cheaper movement, had a flat hairspring and a stick type regulator.
The rest of the movement is virtually identical as only the third wheel was changed to accommodate the different beat rate.
Now comes the interesting part; you can fit a 1520 (19,800 beat) balance assembly into a 1530 movement designed for the 18,000 beat balance, and this has been a common modification by watchmakers unable to repair or source a 1530 balance.

If you change the third wheel for one geared for a 1520 balance frequency of 19,800 beats per hour all will be well and the movement can be regulated.
If however, a 1520 balance assembly is put in and the original 1530 third wheel is kept in the train the movement will run 10% fast.

Whatever the cause, a skilled watchmaker with experience of these two movements should be able to sort it out and if there are none local to the OP...

Communication by phone or email when trying to explain these types of issues is generally not easy, and it is far better to take the watch to someone you trust, tell them the symptoms and any other information you might have about its service history and let them examine it, disassemble it and then produce an estimate or quote based on what they find.

This reply also posted here:

Can you fix a 1530 FRANKIN rolex - Modded - Frankens - Customs - RWG