When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is PVD?

BobM

Okay ... if nobody else is going to ask these dumb questions, I guess that will have to be my lot in (RWG) life.

I have seen the term before. I have seen it twice in this batch of "new posts". What exactly is PVD, and why do I care?

We throw around a lot of slang and acronyms on the forum. This one is the kind of term that someone should capture in a general glossary that can be built up and pinned in General Discussion, I suggest.

Thanks.

Good idea, by the way, what is stopping us from setting up the RWiki section and having the answers to questions like this permanently in there?

I don't know the full details, but here's what I learned in a few minutes

Physical Vapor Deopsition

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_vapor_deposition

Physical vapor deposition (PVD) is a technique used to deposit thin films one atom (or molecule) at a time onto various surfaces (e.g., onto semiconductor wafers). The coating source is physical (ie. solid or liquid) rather than chemical as in chemical vapor deposition. The term physical vapor deposition appears originally in the 1966 book

PVD stands for Physical Vapor Deposition, and it is a process or technique for applying a very durable coating to the surface of various objects, including watches. It is typically used to apply a black or grey finish, although other colors, including gold, are possible. Because the coatings physically become part of the substrate material, they are quite durable, and scratch resistant.

Note that PVD is a process, and does not describe the actual materials used. Titanium Nitride (TiN), Chromium Nitride/ Chromium Carbide (CrN/CrC), Titanium Carbonitride (TiCN) and Diamond-Like Carbon (DLC) are examples of different compounds which can be applied using the PVD process.

Edited by avitt

@ Bobm,

I remember when I 1st joined the forums, (@TRC), this (acronym) idea also came to me.

I spent quite some weeks compiling such a list, and forwarded it to the admin.

Ther were some questions as to my interpretations, and finally it never saw the light of day.

However, by that time, I had answered all my own queries anyway :D

(I also spent months compiling a FAQ) which is around here somewhere I think, and is a compilation, of FAQ's put together by a number of members.

It is amazing when one revisits these things, how dated they become, and need constant updating and attention.... which we tend to "put off" as we are too "busy". Our "Links" section here is another case in point.... something I and others put many hours in to, but it really needs a makeover again.

So I say to you, and any others who are inclined, by all means construct and submit these types of info packages, and your admin will consider creating an area, or pinning them.

Or as smilingbear has said, we can get the RWiki section going, (when time allows :D ).... actually, until it was pointed out, I wasn't even aware it existed.... but it is all about time.... or lack thereof.

Offshore

@ Bobm,

I remember when I 1st joined the forums, (@TRC), this (acronym) idea also came to me.

I spent quite some weeks compiling such a list, and forwarded it to the admin.

Ther were some questions as to my interpretations, and finally it never saw the light of day.

However, by that time, I had answered all my own queries anyway :D

(I also spent months compiling a FAQ) which is around here somewhere I think, and is a compilation, of FAQ's put together by a number of members.

It is amazing when one revisits these things, how dated they become, and need constant updating and attention.... which we tend to "put off" as we are too "busy". Our "Links" section here is another case in point.... something I and others put many hours in to, but it really needs a makeover again.

So I say to you, and any others who are inclined, by all means construct and submit these types of info packages, and your admin will consider creating an area, or pinning them.

Or as smilingbear has said, we can get the RWiki section going, (when time allows :D ).... actually, until it was pointed out, I wasn't even aware it existed.... but it is all about time.... or lack thereof.

Offshore

I understand ... and, of course you are right; no piece of documentation remains useful unless it is maintained. I understand.

I guess I am doomed to continue asking dumb questions ... but, so long as somebody takes the time to answer, maybe the posts will be useful.

Thanks.