When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT Master II 50th Ani.

chillininla

Hey Guys,

I need some help :huh:

I'm kinda new to the Rolex rep. area. After days of reading and research, I am thinking about getting the GMT master II 50th ani. all SS form precioustime. I can't link directly to the pics, and the site won't let me copy the pics.

Can some of you guys/rolex experts please take a look at the watch and let me know what you think before I buy. Are there any flaws you see and if anybody already has it, how do you like it.

Thanks in advance.

Site is www.precioustime-uk.com

It's probably OK as he has a good reputation, but by current standards the photos are really poor.

I won't claim to be a GMT expert, but if I was, the photos would be frustrating.

Most of the members here are putting up better quality stuff from their digital point-and-shoots. The inability to use a polarizer is telling.

Hopefully the GMT experts will bump in and help steer you to one. It's a nice watch.

Carl

You're right Carl, the pics aren't that good. And after comparing it further to gen pics, I decided that the non-ceramic bezel on this rep would be a dead give-away.

Pics for comparison:

rep:

GMTMstIIBlkGrn1e.jpg

GMTMstIIBlkGrn1c.jpg

GMTMstIIBlkGrn1b.jpg

Compare to the ceramic bezel on Gen:

The numbers on bezel are recessed:

rolex_116710_gmt_2_c.JPG

rolex_116710_gmt_2_side.JPG

rolex_116710_gmt_2_box.JPG

Other than that, the rep seems to be dead on. Down to date wheel font color, which a lot of reps have as green instead of black

• 4 weeks later...
I am pretty sure that therep has the wrong hand stack, but i got one for a freing from Josh late last year and it was a great looking watch.

You are right Andy, the hand stack is not the correct one (hours-GMT-minutes-seconds from dial), as it is (wrong) for almost all the GMT II reps. There has been a certain time in which the MBW had the correct hand stack, substituting the hours with the GMT hands. I own one of these reps (bought it from Eddie), but I am afraid they returned to the wrong stack, which allows for a GMT hand setting which is similar to the gen's. I can tell I am very satisfied with mine, which is a daily beater, even if it is quite hard to set the hands properly (to let the date change at midnight <_< ). As for all reps also my MBW has flaws, mainly in smaller writings and Rolex crown on the dial, but the wrong hand stack is really something I can't live with :( : wea re not all the same!

I remember very nice reviews from By-Tor (who can live with the wrong stack :) ) and a superlative technical review from The Zigmeister. I really love the GMT, especially the black bezel!

• 2 months later...
I've been told that as early as 5-6 months we'll see the ceramic version. In the gen GMT version the numbers are a solid platinum insert.....doubt if they'll copy that part B)

Any news about it ?

I have discovered this Lim Ed tonight, and it's definitly on my Buying List.

Am I the only one who's not too crazy about this new "ceramic" GMT?

The Pepsi GMT has history, traditions and certain "aura", which is lacking from this one (imho). Green GMT hand, wtf?!

This is a nice looking watch though, I'm not denying that. But...

Maybe I'm just conservative, but I'll stick to the old ones.

Yeah, mine has wrong stack. But other than that the rep ain't too shabby...

The Pepsi GMT has history, traditions and certain "aura", which is lacking from this one (imho). Green GMT hand, wtf?!

Maybe I'm just conservative, but I'll stick to the old ones.

I think you are right By-Tor, but my chance is to be a New Rolex Fan .... without any, or too much, tradition idea in head :p

Anyway the GMT in Black & Red is :thumbsupsmileyanim::wub:

On the other hand, i am not fan of the Pepsi look (perhaps cause i am not enough conservative ;) )

The Pepsi bezel is legendary and my favorite. Though lately I've been wearing the red/black more. I bought 2 GMT's just because of this endless dilemma. :D

But then again, the all black version leaves me completely cold.

The "Rolex" and other writing all along the inside under the crystal is interesting, is this found on many new Rollies? How well has this writing been represented in the rep? Its hard to tell in the pics. Knowing Rolex these types of markings are meant to defuddle and perplex the copycat Chinamen. And maybe confound them. Confuse as well... :evilguy:

But then again, the all black version leaves me completely cold.

For a GMT fan, i could easily understand that the "all black" GMT looks much more a sub than a GMT (at the first look)...

I imagine that for you the Pepsi look is like Red for a Ferrari B)