When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

9/11: Lest the French Forget....a rant.

ryyannon

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly I don't see how I have insulted your family in any way? :blink: I recall on another thread that you made reference to you being a Forces 'brat' (meaning one who is dragged round ten different schools due their families nomadic postings), not easy at the time I'm sure but also in retrospect a interesting one. And yes I remain disappointed in your views in this thread which appear less than balanced or objective, considering your apparent intelligence.

However, in the spirit of being decent, I am sorry if my reference however oblique, has hit a raw nerve. Naturally, I have absolutely no idea as to the relevance of "TODAY" or your "personal circumstances" which lead you to believe my comment is "disgusting beyond belief". That implies malicious intent which I refute. You have my condolences for those circumstances which lead you to think otherwise and 'demand' an apology - it is not appropriate to guess but I can imagine.

:olivebranchextendedsmilie:

regards

DBR

p.s. For the record, the minor GF comment was forgiven if not forgotten, as was the rather amusing if prejudiced North-South jibes. But to think I would fester on these comments is ridiculous. Oh and as for jealousy, I would be the worst type of hypocrite if I were to rail against a privileged and expensive education ;)

Sorry are we talking about the original anatomical/computer parts analogy?

Or confusing matters with your new (daily?) Mickey Mouse avatar?

Not Mickey! Please. Have you no mercy! He's a virgin.

Aside from the obvious 'size matters' innuendo of course ;)

Why, Mr. Docblackrock. I have never been a Size Queen. ;)

Thick Queen, yes, mind.

I believe 'girth' is the correct term ;)

And just so we're clear, when I want an double entendre, I'll give you one...

:whistling:

Kama Sutra calls it "Two Lotus stalk entering Jade", but your point stands, nice and pointy-like.

EDIT: You know the best part of how this thread has turned out? That Pugwash won't know what hit him. HAHA. You schnooze, you lose, Pugs! Me and my speakers are off, ciao lads!

Your analogy about the South American programme is flawed as you watched/were subjected to it first hand (although I could point out you do have free will and presumably a remote control? ;) ). In the same vein, Tintin in the Congo sold out last month here after complaints about its overt imperialistic racist tone, how do you explain that? Merely outrage? Until Ryannon brought it up, Im guessing Edd was blissfully unaware of the France 3 programme. Plus it's not his country, nor does he have any take on the political machinations going on there right now, disturbing though they may be.

C'mon, here we all are arguing about perspectives and the festering accusations about each other's supposedly allied and friendly countries. Like attending a dinner party where the host suspects you are already 'acquainted' with his wife several times, behind the civility lies only resentment and anger. I tell you, those supporting/encouraging/responsible for this current source of attacks must be firing their AK47s off in delight at all this bitching going on. It's just more power to them. I'd be more outraged about THAT type of behaviour than some insidious but largely irrelevant media slants.

Edd, 7/7 - tell me again how you differentiate and quantify that event NOT being "an attack on one of the world's greatest cities". And you talk about insults? :rolleyes:

VB (unfortunate initials given our other recent 'export' to the US :D ) - although I do not see why you felt it necessary to refer to it in this context (it's NOT terrorism of the same kind), how can you say we lack "school shootings experience"? My god how uninformed are you? Did you watch the US Open at Flushing Meadow? See a certain Andy Murray yet again fail to live up to his potential? Why not ask him for his opinion on your statement? (I can imagine you Googling it right now). Or are you going to team up with Edd and play the numbers game again. I really hope not.

I don't mind rationale debate, but when someone tells me "I couldn't be more wrong" whilst spouting inaccuracies, that's the point where I bow out from continuing that dialogue before I say something I regret. <_<

Im guessing Edd was blissfully unaware of the France 3 programme. Plus it's not his country, nor does he have any take on the political machinations going on there right now, disturbing though they may be.

Well let's suppose for a moment that you are correct... does that make the programming any less insulting? Does it make the reaction any more acceptable?

Edd, 7/7 - tell me again how you differentiate and quantify that event NOT being "an attack on one of the world's greatest cities". And you talk about insults? :rolleyes:

I never suggested those attacks were not perpetrated on a "great city" I have visited London many times and am a huge fan. That is not the point. The difference is in terms of scope an magnitude. The London landscape (or sky scrape as it is) was not forever changed as a result of 7/7. The present day London economy has fully recovered from any harm suffered to over a short-term if at all. And yes the numbers of lost do count when assessing the overall impact of the event. Finally the symbolism of simoultaneoulsy hijacking 3 jumbo jets and flying them into highly visible targets of high governement and business targets is significant. I do not feel the same way about the first World Trade Center bombing (which I was also in the city for) nor do i feel simarlarly about Oaklahoma city. But this was different in terms of orders of magnitude, and symbolism, and yes that counts.

But let's pretend it did not for a moment. I promise you that if US sponsored programming aired a documentary highlighting the atrocities of British armed forces on 7/7, I would be outraged. And if someone on this forum, posted a message expressing thier outrage, I would not suggest that person was over reacting.