When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SMP Bracelets - Scratch easily?

subzero1

Hi,

I now have both a SMP Chrono, and the traditional non-Chrono bond SMP and the metal straps seem to scratch and scuff extremely easily, moreso than other metal banded watches I have (Navi's, Evo's, 3717, Inge, GST's). I was wondering if the gen bracelets exhibited the same susceptibility to scratching that the reps do.

Hi,

you might be right. I have the SMP Chrono rep and noticed that the bracelet scratches more easily than the bracelet on my gen SMP.

And I am not only speaking of the clasp itself. There are also some minor scratches on the bracelet links, and I often wonder how that happened whereas on my gen I still can't see any of them even after two years.

But considering the difference on the price I don't care that much.

Moppel

Well, I've discovered that it is fairly soft metal, which means it does indeed scratch easily. Luckily, this also means that fixing the scratches is relatively easy too. I has several scuff type scratches on the links that were very visible. I just took an old "scratch pen" I had laying around in some of my old tools and tried it out on the brushed part of the links, just to see how it would do. 5 minutes and it's good as new ;)

I have THREE GEN Omega Seamasters, and the bands on all of them are very easy to scratch. As stated above, they are very easy to repair as well. A trick on the GEN Omega forums is to buy a green and yellow Scotch Brite pad and use the green abrasive side to "polish" the brushed steel look back into the band.

I have THREE GEN Omega Seamasters, and the bands on all of them are very easy to scratch. As stated above, they are very easy to repair as well. A trick on the GEN Omega forums is to buy a green and yellow Scotch Brite pad and use the green abrasive side to "polish" the brushed steel look back into the band.

You must have to use a lot of force to do it that way.

i tried on my ss sub bracelet after it getting all scuffed from my desk and it didnt make much of a difference.

granted i didnt scrub to hard.

you do it under water? or dry? and did you use a lot of pressure?

Dill is dead on correct about this in that a gen is still easily scuffed. But I have a hunch the Rep might be a tad softer. Some of these reps which use 316L (same classification as gen) SS may have been annealed (softened) to enable longer life on the tooling and to permit more accurate formation of the parts in less operations. The more you work with the steel the harder it will become this would stand to reason why it might be easier to dent and or would be a tad more easily scuffed up. No way to know for sure but I'll just bet Omega uses either a few more steps or heavier machinery to work the material so that it retains it's Rockwell hardness standards.

:)

I have got to agree with most here that they do scratch up easily but i dont mind that too much, a worn in watch looks ? well just worn in and nicer, every so oftern i give them a polish with cape cod and scotch brite the brushed parts to tidy them up a bit. Even my brand new SFSO has scratches on the bracelet already just from my desk, i dont mind.