When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO Lite Asian 21J

vinhle37

Hello,

I'm getting ready to purchase a Planet Ocean for my boyfriend, but would like to know what everyone thinks about the new UPO Lite or as some are calling it, ultra lite. Is this worth purchasing or should I just pay some more money and purchase the Swiss version. Please let me know. Thanks!

The Asian 21J movement has proven to be reasonably reliable but, it is generally agreed that the ETA Swiss movement is of better quality and will serve you better in the long haul. This Asian movement is the Chinese made DG2813 and should it fail, a replacement movement can be purchased for less than $20 US. As to the quality of the PO Lite, I understand that there have been a few issues with the crown and tube but, you should query the Omega section of this forum for more expert information.

I have the UPO chrono and UPO sweep second and both are the A- 7750 which according to Ziggy's review may be the best movement out at the moment.. and I agree as it has been running great for some months now... plus the AR coating and sapphire crystal.. for the price i really think it's worth it. (about 268 usd)

It depends on what your budget is .. but as I say I think it is a great Rep for the price.. :D

good luck and either way your BF will be happy I'm sure :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think that, oddly enough, the 21 jewel PO will be more realistic as the genuine model has a 21J movement so the sweep will be dead on. If you slam a 25-jewel ETA inside, it will sweep almost too smoothly, if such a thing even is possible...

About reliability. I have several watches that use 21J movements and all of them tell time better than my ETAs. I have never had an asian 21J movement arrive broken... never ever ever.

I would say this is an excellent purchase and you will definitely enjoy to wear the watch! Not for me though... I do not want a rep of a watch that is inexpensive to begin with. That is why I adore my wrist with watches that retail for $10,000+... its just more fun that way!

Thanks for the prompt reply guys!

JDAVIS So if I get a local watchsmith to service the Swiss movement, would that increase the life of the movement? How much should a cleaning service cost me?

LANIKAI By the way, Lanikai is my absolute favorite beach in all of Oahu. Okay, back to my question... so are you recommending the Swiss ETA movement?

Edited by vinhle37

The dealer that I will be purchasing this watch from has told me that the UPO with 21J movement is almost the exact same as the Swiss UPO minus the movement, mineral crystal, and the bezel teeth ??? because slightly different from the Swiss UPO. So as of right now it's either the 21J for $128 or CN-2813 for $218 or Swiss ETA for $280

I have the A-7750 movmt. ... I am very pleased with this movmt. in all my watches.. the problem was with the older 7750 I believe ... and as far as Lanikai beach.. yes it rocks and so does it's canoe club.. only one shark attack this year..LOL.. no limbs lost just mangled leg :mellow:

I have the A-7750 movmt. ... I am very pleased with this movmt. in all my watches.. the problem was with the older 7750 I believe ... and as far as Lanikai beach.. yes it rocks and so does it's canoe club.. only one shark attack this year..LOL.. no limbs lost just mangled leg :mellow:

I'm sorry but could you please clarify what the A-7750 movement is? Is this the Asian ETA or the Swiss ETA? Thanks!

My UPO Lite is great, just love it, and has fooled the AD reps when I went to check on the prices of the leather straps for the Planet Oceans. I highly recommend it, the only issue I had was minimal (seconds hand stopped at the 10 o'clock position) and was fixed by a local watch smith in less than 2 days (he had a lot of work to get done). :)

Edited by guanaco

My UPO Lite is great, just love it, and has fooled the AD reps when I went to check on the prices of the leather straps for the Planet Oceans. I highly recommend it, the only issue I had was minimal (seconds hand stopped at the 10 o'clock position) and was fixed by a local watch smith in less than 2 days (he had a lot of work to get done). :)

How much did the watchsmith charge you to fix that problem?

I think that, oddly enough, the 21 jewel PO will be more realistic as the genuine model has a 21J movement so the sweep will be dead on. If you slam a 25-jewel ETA inside, it will sweep almost too smoothly, if such a thing even is possible...

Huh?

:blink:

The genuine uses a 2892-based Co-Axial movement running at 25,200vph, aka 3.5Hz. The 21j movement beats at 21,600vph, aka 3Hz. The ETA movements beat at 28,800vph, aka 4Hz.

There is no movement available to replica makers that beats at the same rate as the Omega Co-Axial movement.

Just to clarify, the "UPO Lite" is no longer available. It was a limited run done by Josh and Andrew, and they are all gone. Angus (Puretime) has now marketed an "UPO Lite", but it is NOT anywhere close to the J&A version. It lacks, sapphire, AR, SNs on the case, Steel movement holder, anti magnetic sheild, and doesn't have the proper crown. To insinuate that this watch is in any way "Ultimate" is just another little white lie IMO. That said, at less than $100 its probably a nice "beater" watch.

I'm sorry but could you please clarify what the A-7750 movement is? Is this the Asian ETA or the Swiss ETA? Thanks!

The A-7750 movement is an Asian built chronograph movement that is a copy of the ETA 7750 Swiss movement

The Asian 21j movement is the same as the Chinese DG2813 movement (Looks like a copy of Miyota)

The Asian ETA clone is a direct copy of the Swiss ETA 2800 series movements (made by Silleta.)

*Check out the forum section ..Movements Q&A, plenty of good information there about this.

Full service of an ETA 2836 can run over $100 US

Edited by jdavis

First off, what a cool present!

I've just recently got into replica watches, and in the last couple months I've purchased a Seamaster GMT with the Asian 21J, a 45mm Planet Ocean with the Asian 21J and finally a Ultimate Planet Ocean with the ETA movement.

Cosmetically the Seamaster GMT is a great watch, hefty and solid, but the movement in mine went screwy after about three weeks.

The Planet Ocean with the Asian movement has been running perfectly accurate for me, but the fit and finish leave a little to be desired. Mine isn't the "UPO Lite" and isn't quite as accurate compared to the UPO. It's still a great watch, especially for what I paid for it.

The UPO is my newest and it is a great watch. As soon as I took it out of the box I knew exactly where the extra cost went. Hefty, solid, and very impressive. Great looking and feeling and a very classy watch.

All in all, I think you get what you pay for in either watch, it comes down to what you're really wanting to spend.

i have both the 21J and ETA versions, identical in looks quality etc except the 21J crown stripped after 4 weeks, never felt right from day one and was used once a week as i cross a 1 hour border time change each week.

the ETA is great after 2 months, much smoother movement, less noisy and crown feels solid and smooth.

My local watchmaker, Yerevan, Armenia sees a lot of the chinese mov't in all sorts of local, Russian and copy watches and says it is good for 5 years or so of moderate use. He serviced and fixed my ETA, after i dropped it from about 1 meter onto the floor (don't fiddle with your watch at 5am just after you wake up!) and was most impressed with the quality of the movement.

My vote goes with the ETA, order a gen crown and tube (mine will be coming from cousins.uk) and get it changed with the 1st service and you will have a great watch for approx $300.