When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

tired of reps

faonmyea

What s PMWF ?

What are your reasons of stearing clear of Rolex? Are there too much replicated?

It is true that other genuine have a greater price/quality ratio than the overpraised Rolex.

Omega for ex. is significantly cheaper, although it's comparable to Rolex on quality.

PMWF = Poor Man's Watch Forum - Generally, all talk about watches under 1K.

Rolex is so recognizable and so overpriced that wearing a fake often screams poseur. While that might not be your reason to wear one, lots of people perceive it as status-seeking. I suppose this is still true with ALL reps to some degree, lessening as genuine cost and brand recognition goes down.

There a lots of reliable genuines out there at affordable prices - but we are still talking about automatics. Just spend some time on the website above. I find myself no longer caring about a "label" but rather the innate construction and beauty of a watch. It was fun for a while to show off my rep PAMs, Breitlings, etc., but it has worn off.

Edited by hottoddy

I can relate. I hang here mostly because I have good buddies, the attraction for reps has mostly been replaced with purchases of reals.

I love watches, it's amazing what you can get for < $100 in a reals.

No quartz, but Orients, & Seikos.

Reps allowed and I suspect will continue to allow me to meet some excellent people.

The primary appeal of RWG is the people and the dramas that play out.

As for watches, I love almost all of the reps that I have, but don't know what I will buy next or when I will buy another. My collection is neither extensive nor perfect. There are watches I would like to have, but none that I must have right now.

For now there are other priorities in my life. So one of these days a rep will appear that I have to have -- or enough time will have passed that I decide to buy something that is on my 'would like to have' list.

Sure, many reps are imperfect. But in my opinion that's part of what makes rep collecting more interesting than collecting genuines. Do your homework and you'll get both a beautiful watch, a classic design.....and a good value.

I come at reps from the other angle. Over the years I have bought AP, Breguet, Cartier, RGM, Rolex and Vacheron gens for me or my wife. I have not had good experiences with them. The crowning moments were when my AP Royal Oak "leaked' shortly after purchase and the AD claimed I must have left the crown open (bear in mind that the movement doesn't function if the crown is left open) and informed me a new movement would be $1500-2,000 and when my wife brought in her gold marine for service (it was keeping crappy time). The Breguet store took advantage of my unsupecting wife and when I went to pick it up I found that they had convinced her that the watch needed a repolishing (18k gold?) and the bill topped well over a $1,000.

On the other hand, reps have worked out very well for me so far. I have tended to stick to ETA based watches, MBW's, Original movement PAM's, etc. Because they are so much less than the gen and we all know the quality control is spotty at best, I have always immediately shipped my better reps to Ziggy for service. So far they have functioned far more accurately than my gens. They plain old keep better time. Of the 25 or so I have bought, I have had to return two. In fairness, none are more than 18 months old.

IMHO, the best part of rep collecting is that it requires the acquisition of better general horological knowledge, research, forethought and "hunting'. That is the fun part (both the ups and downs). I will buy gens but, knowing what I do now, only original movement unique watches. :)

I'm starting to get sick of all the problems with reps, almost 70% of my reps have problems with them, whether the movement is functioning weird, the watch doesn't work, or something else is broken. The quality is excellent for the price, but just not "there", it's missing that special touch IMO. But nonetheless, I still find it quite fun and satisfying modding the reps and so forth. I am at the same time, searching for what my true grail watch is, as even I am not sure.

Having said that, I find it absolutely absurd that I had to spend in excess of $500 to refinish my AP Royal Oak Chronograph.

Thanks for sharing your exp.

But as you say, quality control in reps is inconsistent so... do you really get what you paid for?

Instead of $500 wouldn't a rep cost you in average $1000, assuming a 50% defect rate?

You seem to be happy of your rep acquisitions : can you recommend dealers?

tag

I have had roughly a 5% failure rate with reps; roughly 1/2 of the failure rate I have with gens. The major difference is the cost and time of getting a repair done. Gens take FOREVER and are much more expensive to service. My next gen due for service will go to the Great The Zigmeister (if he is up for it). I come from an agressive diving background and I do appreciate a great dive watch. With that said an average dive watch doesn't do [censored] for most dive people. Toss out the Submariner and grab a great dive computer. We are having fun with old technoligy that is a real kick to collect. Don't take it too seriously. As far as gens go, I only have a few gold or TT watches but with those I have only purchased gens. Otherwise it really depends on the watch. I really enjoy having a large selection and reps allow that for a lower cost per watch.

At the end of the day it is all fun. If it isn't then get out and find something even better. When you do, let me know, I might be interested too.

Cheers,

CM

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm too getting tired with reps, to the point where I reduce my collection to the few excellent proven "keepers" and rarities.

I must say that I wouldn't be that tired, if

1/factories presented more new models from VARIOUS brands!!!

We don't have new big reps out now, seriously what does it take to make a good blancpain 50 fathoms, a santos chrono, a good mont blanc timewalker ??? I'm sure if there was an offer on those products there will be buyers, not only panerai uses 7753 for exemple.

Now we have most of the time only new improved 5 gen "panerai, rolex and omega..." 90% of the good reps are of those 3 brands, the few others are mainly sport watches...

2/ better controls before shipping a $300+ watch

I have more than 75% faillure on reps trought the years of collecting be it mechanical, cosmetical problems or incorrect watch received...and I bought almost each time swiss and from the best dealers out there.

I spent more than 1K$ in april for various watches from MBW, davidsen, josh.... all tremendous sellers...all have been replaced once, and so far the replacement was also faulty in some sort, currently awaiting for the replacement 009 and man am I anxious that the replacement is faulty too!

I plan to keep around 5-10 reps that I can imagine will last due to the movement inside (safe an asian 116520), but my main objective is now to go with gen.

Not tired here, although I have slowed down from my initial infatuation. When I first stumbled upon RWG, I read and read and read. Clive posted over and over to choose your dealer, then choose your watch. I followed that advice, and collected quite a few reps, then unloaded quite a few reps. I have taken Clive's advice one step further as my philosophy--choose your movement. I have winnowed my rep collection down to a handful of watches--5 to be exact, all Swiss, except for the one given to me by Nanuq that I won't give up. Two of them are 2892, two are 2836 unmodified. In addition, I have a Citizen Eco-Drive-chrono, a Nike Altimeter watch, for running and climbing and a Timex Analog Chrono that started my fascination with watches. I just finished re-writing my wish-list of watches. The list currently stands a four-two reps and two moderately priced gens. That list keeps changing, so I haven't made a purchase, but there are two on there that have stayed through all the various permutations. One gen, one rep. Perhaps one of those will be my next purchase.

I like watches, I enjoy the research, the reading, the learning, the hunting, and mostly, I enjoy the posts of other members.

Climb on.

Guest HeWhoIsLikeGod

I am not getting tired of reps, but wish we had more accurate and higher quality reps, as I am sure we all do. i am getting tired of seeing so many PAM's, i think they are all fugly.

I'm starting to get sick of all the problems with reps, almost 70% of my reps have problems with them, whether the movement is functioning weird, the watch doesn't work, or something else is broken. The quality is excellent for the price, but just not "there", it's missing that special touch IMO. But nonetheless, I still find it quite fun and satisfying modding the reps and so forth. I am at the same time, searching for what my true grail watch is, as even I am not sure.

Having said that, I find it absolutely absurd that I had to spend in excess of $500 to refinish my AP Royal Oak Chronograph.

I will say that of the 20-25 reps I have, there have been almost no problems with any of them...except that I can't easily wear more than one at a time. ;) The second hand not aligning perfectly with the minutes indices on a Brietling, a bezel insert falling off an Omega GMT, etc. None have been bad enough for me to stop wearing the watch. On the other hand, like Admin, sending my gen Rolex to NYC to have the battery replaced for $400 was one of the more stupid things I have done. :angry2:

I will say that of the 20-25 reps I have, there have been almost no problems with any of them...except that I can't easily wear more than one at a time. ;) The second hand not aligning perfectly with the minutes indices on a Brietling, a bezel insert falling off an Omega GMT, etc. None have been bad enough for me to stop wearing the watch. On the other hand, like Admin, sending my gen Rolex to NYC to have the battery replaced for $400 was one of the more stupid things I have done. :angry2:

A gen Rolex takes a battery? :huh:

Not tired here, although I have slowed down from my initial infatuation. When I first stumbled upon RWG, I read and read and read. Clive posted over and over to choose your dealer, then choose your watch. I followed that advice, and collected quite a few reps, then unloaded quite a few reps. I have taken Clive's advice one step further as my philosophy--choose your movement. I have winnowed my rep collection down to a handful of watches--5 to be exact, all Swiss, except for the one given to me by Nanuq that I won't give up. Two of them are 2892, two are 2836 unmodified. In addition, I have a Citizen Eco-Drive-chrono, a Nike Altimeter watch, for running and climbing and a Timex Analog Chrono that started my fascination with watches. I just finished re-writing my wish-list of watches. The list currently stands a four-two reps and two moderately priced gens. That list keeps changing, so I haven't made a purchase, but there are two on there that have stayed through all the various permutations. One gen, one rep. Perhaps one of those will be my next purchase.

I like watches, I enjoy the research, the reading, the learning, the hunting, and mostly, I enjoy the posts of other members.

Climb on.

With you Indy !

Though I have had amazing experiences with reps...

I have refined my approach quite a bit,... narrowed down my chosen brands...

to Omega, Iwc and Panerai..

I do have one TT 14k Rolex Sub,.. but that's it... and will purchase a few of Narikaas Alarms

and erotic watches..just for novelty... but after that my collection will be good to go, until Zenith cometh.. ;)