When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do U like this?

rckh

Hell yeah!

This is my current obsession....along with the new GMT 2....not sure which one will win though...

Gotta say this though...I handled/fondled/lusted/drooled on it in the AP Boutique and when I was given the $18k price tag I had to actually take a step back and think....hmmmmm, is this baby really worth $18k?

I say nay and am looking to pick up a used one in the $10k range...

Some folks got money to burn and $18k is drop in the bucket...but not for me...I gotta pinch them pennies to get my toys, so for me, its an awesome watch but dammmmmiisIT Expensive!

Any moderately well informed buyer would negotiate a decent discount instead of paying RRP for a standard Offshore.

Either way, it is one heavy hitting piece. Manfredi in Greenwich had an AP ROO Safari that was in 97% condition for 14k about 3 months ago. I had the credit card in my hand, but I shied away. I've been regretting that decision ever since.

For me, the deal breaker on the Safari would be that it doesn't have luminous hands or numerals. I would have thought that someone could have come up with a solution.

I've always been so enamored with the Safari that I never even considered whether or not it was lumed. I would like it to have lume, but I really have very few watches with lume, so I suppose that it really has never been a huge consideration. It still wouldn't make me love the safari any less. :D. I still am upset that I missed it for that price, I can't seem to find them for anything under 18k nowadays....:( Live and learn, I suppose.

I've always been so enamored with the Safari that I never even considered whether or not it was lumed.

Royal Oaks are my favourite watches by far, although I wish AP would be more reasonable at times. Most collectors know that many ROOs are overpriced (e.g. given the less than stellar movement (excluding the new 3120 base)), but when they produce an expensive sports watch without lume, that's taking it too far in my book.

only $12,500 on ebay...

Those links aren't showing up for me, but spending that amount of money on eBay for a watch is asking for trouble.

Royal Oaks are my favourite watches by far, although I wish AP would be more reasonable at times. Most collectors know that many ROOs are overpriced (e.g. given the less than stellar movement (excluding the new 3120 base)), but when they produce an expensive sports watch without lume, that's taking it too far in my book.

Those links aren't showing up for me, but spending that amount of money on eBay for a watch is asking for trouble.

I can't argue with you on any of those points. It's like how I love the RG Montoya and Barichello, but I could never justify paying the absurd prices that they go for. As of right now, the only other limited ROO I could justify would be the Volcano, simply because they haven't shot miles past their MSRP yet. Also, the fact that the ROO heavy hitters put me in Lange 1, FP Journe and Ulysse Nardin Freak/Sonata territory, I can't justify spending that kind of money on them. To be frank, I'd rather go pick up the Platinum UN Sonata sitting in my AD's case...or pick up one of the newer UN Freaks in RG, and have something that is distinct beyond reproach. I love the ROO, but when it comes down to it, I doubt that I'll still want any L.E ROO in 10 years (as much as it kills me to say that), whereas I doubt I'd ever wish to part with one of the aforementioned pieces. I also agree with you about buying on Ebay...I wouldn't care to "buy at my own risk" for something of that nature.

• 1 month later...

Still debating between the AP ROO and Big Pilot. And I think the Big Pilot is winning. :lol: Now all I need is the money. I used to think AP was an exclusive watch until the salesman at the AP store in NY told me that they sell 25,000 pieces a year and the largest seller is the ROO. Not very exclusive is it? ;)

Any moderately well informed buyer would negotiate a decent discount instead of paying RRP for a standard Offshore.

of course...I have never paid retail....I wasn't in the mood to haggle that day...especially when my budget was $10-12k....most he wanted to move was about $2k...and that wasn't going to work for me.

I still love my MBK ROO...going to get the AP conversion kit and a Brown Horback strap....it'll look great on my rep.

I did have it up for sale....but not anymore as its a keeper now as the folks at MBK aren't making the dark dials anymore...or at least I am told.

And have to agree on the Safari...it is a georgeous piece but when I found out that it didn't have any luminova I took it off my wish list...

B)