When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to make polished black paint matte?

sssurfer

Not a great issue here.

I'm just playing around with a black sub that I got for a few bucks.

It is black in the dial, bezel, case, and bracelet.

The black color on the case and bracelet is just due to black paint -- nothink like PVD or black-oxide.

That black paint is polished and shine.

I would like to make it matte, so to make it more similar to this old TTK's watch (if this pic is annoying you TTK, just lmk and I'll remove it):

ttkpvdlvjh8.jpg

I tried with all sorts of chemical agents -- acids, alcales, solvents, bleach, etc -- and nothing worked.

Physical agents (brushing pens, pastes, powders and so) either just removed the paint in unneven and very bad looking fashion, or they did nothing at all.

Has anyone a clue, by chance, of what I might use to the task?

Thanks in advance,

sss

Thanks, Clive.

I already tried the fiberglass pen and you guessed correctly, results are no good.

About repainting it, I am concerned about having a paint flushed on my skin 16 hrs /24.

And about the surfaces not in contact with my skin, I am dubious about the durability of the new paint.

I would really prefer to subtract some molecules from the existing paint, rather than adding new paint. Sort of beadblasting or so.

Thanks anyway, really.

Any other advice?

I used to work for a printer and spent a lot of time in the photo studio. Surprisingly I'm still not a good photographer, probably just need some better equipment.

Back to your dillemma. They used a spray to called matte clear coat to spray glossy items like sunglasses to make them easier to photograph. This comes in an aerosol can like spray paint and can be found at your local home improvement store. This should do the trick although I don't know how resistant it would be to scratches. Maybe a good fine sanding first and a thick coat followed by a baking.

Thanks, jfreeman.

Just, same problem as for the additional paint method: are you positive that that spray would not result toxic even when in contact with the skin for a long time?

Thank you too Predfan.

All the suggested methods are about covering the current shine finish with a new matte finish.

This leaves me a little concerned about the effects of the new cover on my skin (or clothes).

So, no way to corrode / erode / wear the surface of the current paint by chemicals, heat, cosmic rays, or what?...

The best way to resolve the problem is disassemble the watch and bracelet. Strip away all of the paint and find a local powder coater. Powder coating will provide you with a smooth and hard scratch resistant finish that will not irritate your skin. Parkerizing as applied to military weapons might be another alternative.

The best way to resolve the problem is disassemble the watch and bracelet. Strip away all of the paint and find a local powder coater. Powder coating will provide you with a smooth and hard scratch resistant finish that will not irritate your skin. Parkerizing as applied to military weapons might be another alternative.

Ouch! This is going to become quite a bit of a task. No DIY, I see. :(

Parkerizing is not going to work on stainless steel, I suppose, but powder coating looks as the most appealing solution so far.

Thanks!

Go the whole hog and have it PVD plated.

Face it... nothing else is going to satisfy you. So you may as well do it properly.

Hi feel you hit the nail in head... or what you say in English about that. :lol:

Any suggestion on a good and inexpensive PVD source? B)

Thanks, Freddy!

Same problem as anywhere, though. That thread was about making a dial matte, not parts that are supposed to stay in touch with skin or clothes many hours a day.

And considering the cost of having it PVD coated, I think I am going to give up.

Thanks anyone for your help anyway.