When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO crown will not screw down

Eric L.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...amp;hl=upo+tube

Hi searched and found this...

Quoting bruce79 : "I agree. The threads are questionable. Doesn't really affect the appearance of the watch but it's very tough to screw in. Just have to be super careful when screwing in...always back 3/4 turn, then slowly forward. We'll see how long it lasts. Has anyone installed a gen tube/crown?

Hope this helps.

Btw by-tor mentioned that some peeps have installed the gen tube/crown combo.

Hope some experts can shed some light and show us the way :)

Oh I always use the "back" then forwards method of screwing down the crown. My question though it not screwing the crown to the case, it is removing the stem from the crown so I can shorten it. No matter what I do, it appears stuck. Before I use a lot of force, I just wanted to verify the direction the stem screws into the crown so I can turn it the opposite way.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end, no one really answered my question regarding how to unscrew the stem from the crown, but I figured it out myself. It is indeed lefty loosey righty tighty. I shortened the stem just a tad but it may have been too much as I cannot reliably engage the various stops as I pull out the crown anymore. I guess thats what I get for working with a rep. I'll source another stem for the 2824-2, but this is a real hassle for something that should have never happened. Not particularly happy with the UPO right now - first it was the crooked Omega logo, then the bezel insert fell out, and now the crown problem. Why would anyone buy one of these watches, no matter how good they look, if they don't even function well as a usable watch? Sorry if I sound harsh, I just needed to vent.

I see no real way to resolve this issue because even with the shortened stem, the watch is no longer water proof so to speak, making it all flash and no function.

Edited by Eric L.

In the end, no one really answered my question regarding how to unscrew the stem from the crown, but I figured it out myself. It is indeed lefty loosey righty tighty. I shortened the stem just a tad but it may have been too much as I cannot reliably engage the various stops as I pull out the crown anymore. I guess thats what I get for working with a rep. I'll source another stem for the 2824-2, but this is a real hassle for something that should have never happened. Not particularly happy with the UPO right now - first it was the crooked Omega logo, then the bezel insert fell out, and now the crown problem. Why would anyone buy one of these watches, no matter how good they look, if they don't even function well as a usable watch? Sorry if I sound harsh, I just needed to vent.

I see no real way to resolve this issue because even with the shortened stem, the watch is no longer water proof so to speak, making it all flash and no function.

Who did you buy it from? I got mine from Andrew and having expressed my concerns he basically assured me he would take care of it if there was any problem. That's good to know.

Who did you buy it from? I got mine from Andrew and having expressed my concerns he basically assured me he would take care of it if there was any problem. That's good to know.

I actually have two ETA UPO's - one orange and one black. The orange one is the broken one and that was purchased from Eddie Lee, who promised to send me a new dial when mine was defective but never delivered. The black UPO was from Andrew and I expect that while most dealers will replace watches that are defective on arrival, I'm not sure if any guarantee applies to watches that fail a year after purchase (such as it was in my case with the orange ETA UPO, which I wore maybe once or twice a month).

In the end, no one really answered my question regarding how to unscrew the stem from the crown, but I figured it out myself. It is indeed lefty loosey righty tighty. I shortened the stem just a tad but it may have been too much as I cannot reliably engage the various stops as I pull out the crown anymore.

Is the problem now that you can't push the crown in deeply enough? If so, you may want to stop the spring in the crown from doing anything.

If it truly is buggered, you can always sell it as parts. An ETA movement with too short a stem is still a working movement.

Is the problem now that you can't push the crown in deeply enough? If so, you may want to stop the spring in the crown from doing anything.

If it truly is buggered, you can always sell it as parts. An ETA movement with too short a stem is still a working movement.

Thats an interesting idea. How does one disable the spring in the crown???

ive got the upo lite with this problem... i fixed mine by narrowing the tube on the watch with piles so it screws in snuggly. now its not ideal as it feels "tougher" to screw in now but its holding and been holding for 4 months with regulary time changes every week (its my work watch). i recommend this adjustment if you are very careful and dont care if you stuff it up (upo lite is a cheap and replacable watch) but shortening the stem sounds the better soloution.

note: this problem appeared when one day i took off my watch while doing some clearing outside and left it in the sun on a hot day. Its afterwards i found the steam released on its own, and aftered removing the steam and seeing some wear on the tube thread within the watch case i came to the conclusion metal expansion was the problem, thus with the little margin for error between the crown and watch thread, this has happened.

Edited by 2sweetau

i did the same with my UPO lite, cut the stem a little short, just file a little off the tube as well. same deal. file a bit then check then file a bit more, got it all to seat perfect and now no problem. Also in future if the crown is hard to screw off the stem heat it for 5 secs with a lighter TAKE THE GASKET OUT OF THE CROWN FIRST! comes off no problem then. Also remember to glue it back onto the stem or you will lose it!

i want to buy a heap of parts, problem is where, also i live in Armenia so have to get everything shipped to the UK and have friends bring packages in. Luckily my local armenian watchmaker is also a pretty good fix-it artist, he sees a lot of the chinese movt's and is also pretty good on the ETA 2824 which ends up in a lot of the copy watches we see here from Russia. The UPO lite is my play watch and have the ETA which has a much better crown, care required in using it though.

have just had a delivery of gen crown and tube from cousins uk, looks like it should be relatively easy to fit so will try and keep people informed, will be interested to see if the rep tube screws into the case and if so will the gen tube just screw straight in, anybody with any experience here?

have just had a delivery of gen crown and tube from cousins uk, looks like it should be relatively easy to fit so will try and keep people informed, will be interested to see if the rep tube screws into the case and if so will the gen tube just screw straight in, anybody with any experience here?

What are the parts numbers?

Fantastic, let us know whether the gen parts fit. Thanks in advance, I'll wait for your report before I proceed further with my repair.

crown 42184ST, tube X12870,

I would be interested to hear how you go, I bought them from cousins when the rep first came out and have not bothered to fit them yet. My part numbers are 069ST42184 (crown) and 090ST1232 (tube) but the tube container has x12870 hand written on the top.

I probably should do it as it made a huge difference to the feel of my SMP.

I would be interested to hear how you go, I bought them from cousins when the rep first came out and have not bothered to fit them yet. My part numbers are 069ST42184 (crown) and 090ST1232 (tube) but the tube container has x12870 hand written on the top.

I probably should do it as it made a huge difference to the feel of my SMP.

same here, had a detailed discussion with the friendly guy at cousins and i guess the 1st set of numbers are the omega code and the 2nd set the cousins code? anyway if you quote either and ask them to check they tell you the set i quoted, they look right by eye so will lob my friendly watchmaker and see how we go changing them out.

Hey Ed, Im not sure what you mean but I was referring to Eric L. who may have shortened his ETA stem too much. Im not sure about the lite version but ETA stems are pretty easy to get.

Yeah I'll have to pick up a couple stems. But I'll hold off for now until I hear whether gen tube/crown fits, and if so I'll order those at the same time.

I recall that transplanting the gen crown and tube has already been attempted by a member here. The rep tube is pressed into the case (no threads), and the gen tube is threaded. Problem is that the gen tube is smaller than the hole in the case, so you have to glue the tube in to the case. The member that did this previously never posted pics of how the transplant worked out however.

Hey Ed, Im not sure what you mean but I was referring to Eric L. who may have shortened his ETA stem too much. Im not sure about the lite version but ETA stems are pretty easy to get.

Thanks Bazz... sorry for the confusion, still kinda new to all these. So the stem we are referring to is the ETA part, and the crown and tube the gen Omega parts?