When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Orlando Bloom's 127

TeeJay

Thanks V for backing me up on this :D (K, nice to see you back mate ;) )

VB,

1. Being from Bonay's personal collection, the Fiddy would almost certainly sport OEM strap rather than third-party (even one as supreme quality as MF). For all I know, he may wear MF or MP or Dirk straps in private, but it would not be commercially appropriate to put a non-OEM strap on a watch for use in the media.

2. Actually, the 127 came with TWO straps (same as most gen 44mm Luminors come with one leather plus one rubber) - the one you refer to and what most people associate with the watch is the Golden Cashmere Calf. And it is the strap most gen Fiddy owners wear with it as it sets off the gold hands much better. However, the other factory-supplied spare strap is Bordeaux/Burgundy Calf - see pic below. Orlando's is showing some signs of wear/cracking (tut tut, no mink oil on set?), but it is definitely the 'wine' strap.

mainphpue5.jpg

main1phptn9.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks V for backing me up on this :D (K, nice to see you back mate ;) )

I posted my bit and then saw V's reply. I had no idea that you had posted this before! Kudos for coming up...

...with the incorrect answer. :lol:

Yes, as JBoy says below, it turns out that Bonay showed a member at Risti his Fiddy and it is a very worn in OEM Cashmere strap.

I understand the inadvisability of using aftermarket straps, but after all, it's a film. Shooting can be onerous, as the "dings to the casing" suggested later.

I thought there might be a strap change at the very least for this film, though it's possible it would've been another OEM not MF, or similar.

I am still not convinced that's a "worn-in" Cashmere. It's true that the member of the gen forum had lunch with Phillipe Bonay, and I do not doubt he saw and in fact, held, that OEM cashmere.

To me, it still looks like an OEM Bordeaux as both you lads surmised.

Given the fact that it's the second strap given when one buys a Fiddy, it would also make sense.

If not, wow. Talk about patina. Thank God I have a ginormous strap rotation, and my straps will never attain that KIND of patina through overuse.

@PAMPAM: Beautiful!! Wow, I'm terribly impressed by your strap. Wear it well, baby!

Okay, whether it's a broke-down OEM Cashmere or an OEM Bordeaux, we're still left with TeeJay wanting a strap that is close to U$400, new. And over U$200 used.

Even I wouldn't buy one at those prices.

So, just in case of interest TeeJay, here is my Simona. She can customise it for you without blue stitching, just like PAMPAM's.

299569-3260.jpg

Incidentally, V and I share more than an initial in common. Our favourite colour of straps are red or reddish.

This "Simona Bordeau" is perhaps my favourite go-to-special-occasion-strap, reviewed in Part 1 of The Great Panerai Strap Caper.

I posted my bit and then saw V's reply. I had no idea that you had posted this before! Kudos for coming up...

...with the incorrect answer. :lol:

Yes, as JBoy says below, it turns out that Bonay showed a member at Risti his Fiddy and it is a very worn in OEM Cashmere strap.

I understand the inadvisability of using aftermarket straps, but after all, it's a film. Shooting can be onerous, as the "dings to the casing" suggested later.

I thought there might be a strap change at the very least for this film, though it's possible it would've been another OEM not MF, or similar.

I am still not convinced that's a "worn-in" Cashmere. It's true that the member of the gen forum had lunch with Phillipe Bonay, and I do not doubt he saw and in fact, held, that OEM cashmere.

To me, it still looks like an OEM Bordeaux as both you lads surmised.

Given the fact that it's the second strap given when one buys a Fiddy, it would also make sense.

If not, wow. Talk about patina. Thank God I have a ginormous strap rotation, and my straps will never attain that KIND of patina through overuse.

@PAMPAM: Beautiful!! Wow, I'm terribly impressed by your strap. Wear it well, baby!

Persoanlly - my OEM cashmere strap is still in the box - along with the OEM Burgundy - both never to be worn. I prefer a Greg's strap - thicker and almost the same color as the cashmere.

Two Weeks Notice has Hugh Grant with his Panerai again. Oh, and Wild Hogs, while a complete pile of toss, had Tim Allen wearing his Panerai.

I'm not kidding about the Shoutbox Night at the Flicks idea.

I'll watch whatever you guys want, so long as it has nice watches. :)

E.g.: I have never seen Daylight.

Persoanlly - my OEM cashmere strap is still in the box - along with the OEM Burgundy - both never to be worn. I prefer a Greg's strap - thicker and almost the same color as the cashmere.

Yes, I mentioned that gen owners often do this with their straps. They fling them out as quickly as do rep owners who get those abysmal straps with their watches.

But which Greg do you mean? Because I have several varieties of Greg Stevens and none match the OEM Cashmere look. It's not the Militare is it? The Crazy Horse (I have three versions), only if very very worn in.

I agree about that Paneristi 'lunch with Bonay' theory, VB

If you look at the production still pic I uploaded in the second or third post here, you can see that baby is DEFINITELY the Burgundy/Bordeaux.

As for you 'filimmm' night idea, here's some advice. Life is short. Do not waste it on Elizabethtown. Nor anything with Hugh Grant (lobotomy nonwithstanding). After the Sunset is fairly decent, although not a patch on Brosnan's remake of '..Crown Affair...' in which incidentally he wears the complete antithesis of a PAM.....a 'stealth' Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso Duo :lol:

Yes, I mentioned that gen owners often do this with their straps. They fling them out as quickly as do rep owners who get those abysmal straps with their watches.

But which Greg do you mean? Because I have several varieties of Greg Stevens and none match the OEM Cashmere look. It's not the Militare is it? The Crazy Horse (I have three versions), only if very very worn in.

I always "toss aside" my OEM straps and don't wear them because I want to keep them new and unused for when I sell the watch in the future. A new strap always helps keep the price up. OEM straps are actually great quality and very comfortable (although usually way too short for me).

It's a Greg's Crazy Horse. I love it! Just washed it for the first time and it went a shade lighter...

Wed.jpg

I agree about that Paneristi 'lunch with Bonay' theory, VB

Given that the Risti member didn't specifically ask what strap Orly wore, it WOULD possibly make sense.

What I envision happened was that Bonay sent him the entire pearwood box, with the Fiddy on the OEM Cashmere, but also the other strap, screwdriver, etc.

And Orlando chose the second strap.

If you look at the production still pic I uploaded in the second or third post here, you can see that baby is DEFINITELY the Burgundy/Bordeaux.

I'm afraid I have to agree. That simply cannot be patina. I understand wearing one's strap TO DEATH, but come now. That's clearly wine red!

As for you 'filimmm' night idea,

Sniff. RIP Father Ted.

here's some advice. Life is short. Do not waste it on Elizabethtown. Nor anything with Hugh Grant (lobotomy nonwithstanding). After the Sunset is fairly decent, although not a patch on Brosnan's remake of '..Crown Affair...' in which incidentally he wears the complete antithesis of a PAM.....a 'stealth' Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso Duo :lol:

I cannot stand Hugh Grant. What do Americans see in him??? I was forced to watch Bridget Jones' Diary by some London friends of my cousin Margot. God help me -- never thought Gemma Jones could sink that low.

I want to see T. Crown Affair! Either the original with the handsome American, or the remake, with the handsome Irishman version. ;)

(ADMIN Crown Affair...bless!)

I always "toss aside" my OEM straps and don't wear them because I want to keep them new and unused for when I sell the watch in the future. A new strap always helps keep the price up. OEM straps are actually great quality and very comfortable (although usually way too short for me).

Ahh, yes, I hear that a lot. The default 115/75 is much too small for guys. Fits me great though. ;)

It's a Greg's Crazy Horse. I love it! Just washed it for the first time and it went a shade lighter...

Wed.jpg

WOW! Courageous fellow. I don't think I would ever attempt a wash on mine. Just to be clear, because I have a vision of you throwing this in the laundry hamper, setting the Maytag to "Woolens" and dousing your Greg with Tide...this isn't what you did right? :lol:

Not the best photo, but this is my Greg Stevens Crazy Horse with antique Stitching too.

chfiddyus1de5.jpg

That I bought used, with a lovely patina already. My custom made black stitch looks FRIKKIN new...

Given that the Risti member didn't specifically ask what strap Orly wore, it WOULD possibly make sense. What I envision happened was that Bonay sent him the entire pearwood box, with the Fiddy on the OEM Cashmere, but also the other strap, screwdriver, etc. And Orlando chose the second strap. I'm afraid I have to agree. That simply cannot be patina. I understand wearing one's strap TO DEATH, but come now. That's clearly wine red!

:tu:

Sniff. RIP Father Ted.
Indeed 'sniff' but look what a rare treat I picked up at Copenhagen airport (of all places :lol:) only the other week. Made the THREE hour delay <_< very bearable (that and Kristina the lovely girl in the jewellery store :wub:)

post-115-1190804395_thumb.jpg

I cannot stand Hugh Grant. What do Americans see in him??? I was forced to watch Bridget Jones' Diary by some London friends of my cousin Margot. God help me.
Apart from him being a terrible excuse for an actor you mean? He just has one of those faces and a set of mannerisms you just want punch....hard.....repeatedly. Same goes with Jamie Oliver. You adopted countrymen seem to have a thing for that [censored] also :rolleyes:

or the remake, with handsome Irishman version. ;)
Based on yours truly of course :whistling: although admittedly I'm still working on acquiring the pad in the 'Islands.

Christ - I would hope so! :o

Which part of the UK are you from?

[ ... snip ... ]

EDIT: Sorry lads. Maybe my long tongue got the best of me. Those who had to see my reply did. But the internet being what it was, I deleted it. You can PM me any question you'd like, within sexual deviance reason. :lol: If you're replying to it, I ask you to delete that bit. Anyway, my jet set life is not that exciting. Would be now. But at the age of 12, one Pyramid looks like Machu Pichu or the Tour Eiffel to any child.

[ ... snip ... ]

EDIT: Sorry lads. Maybe my long tongue got the best of me. Those who had to see my reply did. But the internet being what it was, I deleted it. You can PM me any question you'd like, within sexual deviance reason. :lol: If you're replying to it, I ask you to delete that bit. Anyway, my jet set life is not that exciting. Would be now. But at the age of 12, one Pyramid looks like Machu Pichu or the Tour Eiffel to any child.

Long tongue? :brow: You mean 'loose' surely ;)

Well I missed the reply but I have an inkling. I can however identify with the misspent childhood. Picture a little six-year old Inglese boy playing hide 'n' seek with the security guards in the Uffizi archives :whistling: Oh well, wasted at the time perhaps, but I guess it 'took' eventually.

More usefull and interesting information. I've got to agree with V, that I can't see any level of patina reaching that color. I don't doubt the lunch meeting the person had, but a comment like "This is the watch he wore" could have literally meant "This is the watch he wore (on a different strap)"... The points made about OEM/Aftermarket straps are both equally valid. From one perspective, indeed, why would a company represent someone else's product in the media, but on the other hand, as mentioned, it's a film, creative liberties are taken all the time (see the X-33 Tom Cruise wore in Minority Report, for example) so the aftermarket strap, rather than the OEM, is certainly a possibility. Having looked at the still where he's charging his phone, the shape of the stitching does look more like the OEM strap than the aftermarket...

As a side question, does anyone know what buckle was on the strap? As previously mentioned, I'm looking for as visually similar to what Orlando wore as possible.

More usefull and interesting information. I've got to agree with V, that I can't see any level of patina reaching that color. I don't doubt the lunch meeting the person had, but a comment like "This is the watch he wore" could have literally meant "This is the watch he wore (on a different strap)"... The points made about OEM/Aftermarket straps are both equally valid. From one perspective, indeed, why would a company represent someone else's product in the media, but on the other hand, as mentioned, it's a film, creative liberties are taken all the time (see the X-33 Tom Cruise wore in Minority Report, for example) so the aftermarket strap, rather than the OEM, is certainly a possibility. Having looked at the still where he's charging his phone, the shape of the stitching does look more like the OEM strap than the aftermarket...As a side question, does anyone know what buckle was on the strap? As previously mentioned, I'm looking for as visually similar to what Orlando wore as possible.
The buckle would be the OEM buckle. As for the strap - it seems it really was the OEM Cashmere and not the Bordeaux as so many think. However - if you just want the "look" - go for the Bordeaux and not the Cashmere.
[ ... snip ... ]EDIT: Sorry lads. Maybe my long tongue got the best of me. Those who had to see my reply did. But the internet being what it was, I deleted it. You can PM me any question you'd like, within sexual deviance reason. :lol: If you're replying to it, I ask you to delete that bit. Anyway, my jet set life is not that exciting. Would be now. But at the age of 12, one Pyramid looks like Machu Pichu or the Tour Eiffel to any child.
No worries - I saw the first reply before you edited it. I sorta went the other way myself - starting North America and ending up in the UK with several stops in between. Cheers! Edited by JBoy

The buckle would be the OEM buckle. As for the strap - it seems it really was the OEM Cashmere and not the Bordeaux as so many think. However - if you just want the "look" - go for the Bordeaux and not the Cashmere.

Which would look like what? I'm only just getting into PAMs, and know there's a huge variety in buckles, so I need to know (visually) precicely what to keep an eye out for :D

Which would look like what? I'm only just getting into PAMs, and know there's a huge variety in buckles, so I need to know (visually) precicely what to keep an eye out for :D

There's really only one buckle that goes with the PAM 127. It's the one that comes with all the GENs and REPs. Looks like a big bottle opener.

standard.jpg

There's really only one buckle that goes with the PAM 127. It's the one that comes with all the GENs and REPs. Looks like a big bottle opener.

standard.jpg

Definitely an easy buckle to track down :) Is that what the OEM buckle would look like, or would it have some kind of logo on it?