When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen UPO bezel on UPO

Mr.RadioActive

My understanding (not having bought the UPO yet, but about to) is that the crystal looks to have an AR coating on the inside. Did you coat the outside as well, and if so will the outer AR be scratch resistant?

I just don't understand everyone's obsession with double AR. Even if the gen has it, it has no place on a sport watch, which will see any kind of active use. The gen manufacturers use material and techniques that are not available to the rep manufacturers or aftermarket coaters...and their AR still scratches and looks like crap.

I'm not the only one who thinks so...Have a looks at this PO review, from respected WIS John Holbrook, II.

I just don't understand everyone's obsession with double AR. Even if the gen has it, it has no place on a sport watch, which will see any kind of active use. The gen manufacturers use material and techniques that are not available to the rep manufacturers or aftermarket coaters...and their AR still scratches and looks like crap.

I'm not the only one who thinks so...Have a looks at this PO review, from respected WIS John Holbrook, II.

I agree with your point about the fascination. I'm only curious to see if he somehow figured out a way to make it scratch resistent. Personally I'd rather just have it on the inside than have a double AR and have to worry about the scratches all the time. But, if he somehow figured out a way to pull it off, then I might be interested.

The UPO comes with a single side AR coat. The gen has a very distinctive double AR coat with a blue-black tint.

I sent my UPO crystal to Jakub/k222 who's running an EU military-spec coating service for members which includes stripping existing coating. It's at least equal to the gen's coating if not better.

See results HERE :wub:

Scratches or not, I agree not every watch should have double AR and it can scratch if not careful, but in this case, it just transforms the UPO.

Scratches or not, I agree not every watch should have double AR and it can scratch if not careful, but in this case, it just transforms the UPO.

...And the first scratch will transform it once again. ;)

Totally off-topic, but thanks for posting the link. I love reading John's reviews. Infact, it was his Seamaster Vs Submariner review which first made me consider a watch other than a Rolex, and, I'm glad I did. Without that impetus, I'd've never delved as far into horology as I have. I also used his review as a template for the review of the VC Overseas I wrote earlier in the year.

Couldn't've said it better myself :thumbsupsmileyanim:

People, let's not forget, that at the end of the day, a rep is a rep, and will never be gen (unless every single component was swapped, and then it would be a different watch...

Also, the genuine Omega is not, never has, and never will, be/been called a UPO. It is the Planet Ocean Big Size. 2900.50.91

That is what you want to ask for parts for. Ask for parts for a "You Pee Oh" at an AD, and they're either going to give some strange looks, laugh, or, as Doc said with Ofrei, probably get you yelled at :p It's like not so long ago a collector got rather annoyed by someone calling their watch a "Noobmariner", as the watch was just an entry level Rolex, and the Noobmariner is only sold by this one dealer, and their comments could have given a negative impression of their product, which was not the actual subject of the person's topic anyway... This is the same with the UPO. It is just a term attached to a specific factory release by certain collectors. In terms of asking for the 'real thing' (or parts for it) Planet Ocean Big Size. 2900.50.91 is what you want to be asking for :)

So you're saying we should call the UPO the NoobPlanet?

BTW, has anyone measured the hole that the UPO's or rep 42mm (or rather, Planet Ocean 2900.51.82) He valve sticks into? Looking at the pics of a gen He valve assembly it looks as though you might be able to raise the He valve to the correct position if the rep's hole is very small.

• 1 month later...

I rarely if ever come to this forum, but happened to check on the old topic that I posted. I can see why I rarely do come. While nobody would care if I was here or not, knowing that theres a ton of guys on this forum who know tons more about watches then I do. I'm only a single watch collector of both gens, and reps, and like enjoying projects.

My question was about parts fitting the upo. However there is post after post about how dumb it is to mod a rep.

This is bogus. The entire forum is filled with modding a rep. Buying a rep is dumb to some people, and they could go on and on about their reasons it would be. On a rep forum, I cant believe after asking a few questions more members comment on the mod itself them offering advise. Why is there 6 pages of "we are sorry to see you go, The Zigmeister" posts who is a modder of watches, if modding a rep is so lame. (sorry to see him go to Ive never sent him anything but sure apprecaite reading his posts) If how accurate a rep was was not important then all the posts on the forum would simply be who has a good price on such and such a watch. Nobody would care about the CG, Woky Crystal, hand stack, crown, mis-spelling, wrong logo, bad lume etc.

If you want perfect buy a gen, blaaa blaa blaa. This is a rep forum.

I wear many rolex gen watches, gen breitling, gen panerai, and other brands. I fill up my watch box with select reps, sometimes with very expensive mods. Why, because its my money and thats what I choose to do. The modders dont tell me Im a idiot they gladly except my cash, and do a great job on rep watches.

Sorry for the rant, and I know from a very inactive, newer member, what does my thoughts even matter. Im on bottom of the list. But perhaps there would be more ones like me in the shadows who would be active if members were more friendly, and less political.

Rant over.

After thinking about what I wrote for a min, there are some very helpful members however on this site. Who ironically helped me with a project pam 027 currently being modded with parts I got from members here. I was commenting on the comments that were made in the thread, not directed to all members. The members who helped me on my project 027 pam, with the DW, and Cyclops were nothing less then super nice and helpful.

After thinking about what I wrote for a min, there are some very helpful members however on this site. Who ironically helped me with a project pam 027 currently being modded with parts I got from members here. I was commenting on the comments that were made in the thread, not directed to all members. The members who helped me on my project 027 pam, with the DW, and Cyclops were nothing less then super nice and helpful.

I'm putting a genuine dial on my UPO and have a genuiine bezel insert for another UPO and crown and tube of course and members were super helpful.. but like the saying goes.."those that matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter" :lol:

LIVE STRONG AND WEAR IT WELL

LANIKAI

The volume of "modding reps is dumb" posts is in the noise for this forum. The vast majority of RWG members do mod their reps to some extent.