When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dropped my Seamaster Chronograph

dangerman

I am so [censored] off with myself. Dropped my year old Seamaster Professional Chronograph and now the hands don't move.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

In case you can't tell, I'm pretty upset. This was my favorite watch.

Weighing up my options but they all look expensive.

Unfortunately I haven't yet found a local watchmaker who will work on Asian 7750 so I either:

Send to The Zigmeister?

Buy a new one?

Throw it away and buy something different?

What really pisses me off is that this was all my fault. My new rep money will probably go to fix this.

I know it's not like someone died or anything. Sorry everybody...I just needed to blow off some steam.

That's a rough one, I would try to look at it as a fun opportunity if you really love the watch you can fix it up, or you can get a newer model that is similar. This is a good excuse to get a new watch with different colors. If you decide to fix it maybe use it as a chance to upgrade the movement or do something like get AR done to it when you're getting it fixed. Another option of course is get a new one, these are reps so not a big deal when they die...but still the sentimental loss is disappointing.

I think the best is to buy a new one, not necessarily the same. Look again in catalogs and websites and choose something new, it will probably cost you the same as sending it, fixing, send back etc. Very sad indeed, but I would still keep proportions..

I think the best is to buy a new one, not necessarily the same. Look again in catalogs and websites and choose something new, it will probably cost you the same as sending it, fixing, send back etc. Very sad indeed, but I would still keep proportions..

This is what I am considering doing. It's probably the smart thing to do.

But every time I look at its poor unmoving form, it just looks at me with such sad, imploring eyes. It's like its saying "please don't leave me...I'm begging you, just give me another chance!"

I'm finding it really hard to let go. :(

Sorry to hear about the SMP problem.

When you say the hands don't move, I take it this means the watch doesn't run anymore?

If that is the case, you probably broke the balance staff, if it doesn't run at all, this is the first thing that gets damaged from a shock. There could be other damage, but normally the balance is the only one that suffers.

You have a few options available, fix whatever is broken, fully service the watch while getting it fixed, install an ETA in place of the Asian (guessing it's the 12-9-6 layout like mine), or scrap the watch...

If there is anything I can do, let me know.

RG

Sorry to hear about the SMP problem.

When you say the hands don't move, I take it this means the watch doesn't run anymore?

If that is the case, you probably broke the balance staff, if it doesn't run at all, this is the first thing that gets damaged from a shock. There could be other damage, but normally the balance is the only one that suffers.

You have a few options available, fix whatever is broken, fully service the watch while getting it fixed, install an ETA in place of the Asian (guessing it's the 12-9-6 layout like mine), or scrap the watch...

If there is anything I can do, let me know.

RG

Thanks The Zigmeister

I've sent you a pm about getting rough pricing for a fix.

Sad to hear that Dangerman. I think this particular rep is awesome... and I think it deserves a repair treatment.

Appreciate the thought By-Tor.

Great watch, body like a tank but sadly within it beat a heart of glass. Yet still I love that watch.

It really makes me wonder though. Would a quartz movement have been tougher. I suspect yes. And cheaper too. But now I've got into mechanical movements with their "soul", I can't bring myself to go down that "rational" path.

I think you have all the options from the experts (not considering myself, of course) and it is really up to you. Personally, I like the excitement of having new toys, and having the opportunity to choose something new from the ever growing incredible rep collections (maybe wait for the new SMP edition?). For sure, The Zigmeister can do a great job and bring your watch back to long and good life if you choose this direction.

If I were you I'd send it to Z and install a Swiss. There are a few watches that I couldn't be without... and SMP chrono is definitely one of them.

I agree with BT. You obviously are very fond of this watch and even when you get another watch (and you will) your mind will still drift to this watch from time to time. Kinda like I love my wife, but every so often I remember fondly a special ex-girlfriend... :rolleyes: Get on The Zigmeister's schedule and all will be well.

I agree with BT. You obviously are very fond of this watch and even when you get another watch (and you will) your mind will still drift to this watch from time to time. Kinda like I love my wife, but every so often I remember fondly a special ex-girlfriend... :rolleyes: Get on The Zigmeister's schedule and all will be well.

I'm still mourning my loss but have started looking at my options with The Zigmeister.

Once I have stepped back and have a better perspective I'll decide what to do.

Need to sleep on it. Hopefully my subconscious will show me the way to go on this.

This is what I did to mine...and I love it...

Genuine Tudor movement...

Gen crown and tube...

It's a keeper.

RG

Wow The Zigmeister that is magnificent.

That cheered me up quite a bit.

Maybe this misfortune is the incentive I needed to take the plunge for a full service and relume.

Thanks.

I know it's not like someone died or anything. Sorry everybody...I just needed to blow off some steam.

Dude, don't knock yourself. That's what this forum is for.

My suggestion is AFTER you check to see if the original seller may not help you out (you're in luck if it was Andrew or Joshua)...

...is to get another one, just like it. Maybe you had a good one, but this was your favourite and you will miss it. Keep this one for spare parts, which might come in handy.

Sorry, love. Happened to me already, and it broke me heart (for a day or so).

wow,, i feel for you .... your emotions are running high at the moment .. but maybe things happen for a reason and Ziggy may be the reason...

to see his post to you must be uplifting to say the least..

think of it this way ,, now you get to upgrade your watch and if it can look like Ziggy's .. that may be reason enough to forgive your error ^_^

things alway's happen for a reason it seems ;)