When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

3717 - Economics of Swap v/s Service?

tankster

I love the 3717. Just LOVE it. Am trying to understand the most sensible approach to proceed here:

1) Buy new Asian 7750, get it full serviced (+~$200), should work well for ?? years

2) Buy new Asian 7750, swap out for ETA movement (+~400 including labor), should work well for ?? years

I guess nothing is certain in the rep business, but would love this forum's guidance on NPV!

As I read through the discussions, I'm also curious whether anyone offers a one-stop shop to the many mods - e.g., most people refer to chief for AR, The Zigmeister for service/lume/other cool mods, joe or others to procure the Swiss 7750 movement. Seems an awful lot of shipping and hand-offs to get a pristine mod. Anyone had experience with an expert who can procure the Swiss movement, swap it, mod the watch, and sell it all at one shot?

Apologies if this feels like a real noob Q!

Sam

I can only give you my opinion. I bought one of Eddie's from the original 3717 run and had mine serviced. Add the ETA datewheels and get the crystal double AR'd any it should last a long time. My theory is to replace on failure. I have numerous Asian 7750's and have not had one fail yet. Your mileage, of course, may vary B)

To answer your question, at that time, no.

I had an Asian 7750 high beat (28k) watch, and it failed on me after just one/two week (rotor won't wind the mvt)... I find them no reliable at all.

I just ordered a IWC 3717 with a low beat 21k to transplant a SWISS 7750 in it....I just don't trust Asian 7750 even if it get it full serviced. Swiss mvt already has a great proof of performance/reputation, they are on market since more than 25 years.... so time will tell fo Asian mvt, but right no, Asian mvt has so much flaws, and QC.

Just my two cents ;)

Agree 100% with The Zigmeister about the need to serviced a mvt, any kind of mechanical mvt, even swiss. It's like a car, if you never made maintenance on a car, change dirty oil, etc. it will eventually fail, and maybe will cost you more due to broken part. If you go with the Asian version, I suggest to send it immediately to The Zigmeister (the best/reputable person I personally know to work on a asian 7750 mvt) to do the overall services on it before something broke.

My only concern is (and I ask myself this question), is it easy to find spare supply part for asian mvt in case some part broke? what happen if there's a non-compatible part between Asian and swiss mvt, etc. I will let some expert to comment on that.

My only concern is (and I ask myself this question), is it easy to find spare supply part for asian mvt in case some part broke? what happen if there's a non-compatible part between Asian and swiss mvt, etc. I will let some expert to comment on that.

For me it is easy to find spare parts, because I have many in my spares bins.

Some ETA parts fit the Asian 7750, some don't. I have only replaced a few parts on Asian movements, due to failure, and all of those I could get from ETA.

RG