When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Slight flaw on Omega rep dial

Moffey

Hi all. After a bit of advice really. I recently purchased a 50th Anniversary Moon watch from PT, its a lovely piece and so I was all the more disheartend when one of my friends pointed out that one of the markers is slightly smudged. I understand that i must be prepared for slight flaws on any rep, however i feel that this has now reduced my enjoyment of the rep. having contacted PT he recommended that I could purchase a new face/dial and have a watch smith relace the original. So my question is this, does any know of a reliable and trustworthy watch smith in the UK capable of doing this (...and at a reasonable price!) whom I can mail the watch to for the work to be done? Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Cheers!

A bit of smudge on the polished markers is a very common flaw on reps. Especially on the TAG Heuer Link and Carreras.

The good thing is that is easy to uncase the watch and carefully polish the markers with a soft dry cloth. :) To me, this alone is not reason good enough to return a watch.

Take a look at Edge and The Zigmeisters guides to uncase a watch, and I am sure you can fix this yourself! :)

...not too sure that this would work as the marker is just printed on to the dial (...its just the 27 min/sec marker) and as such i imagine rubbing it would only serve to smudging it further. Imagine a straight line, smudged to the left, it creates an appearance of having no centre to the line, and so something would require reprinting the centre of the line.

That really is one of the risks of a rep. I have a similar flaw on my Rolex Daytona, where one of the marker lines is actually printed at the wrong angle. That said though, it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the watch, because I accept that as a rep, I can't expect 100% perfection or fidelity to the original. For that, one must by genuine...

With regards a reliable watchsmith, I would recommend trying an independant jeweller/watchsmith as they're more likely to be prepared to work on such an item, and simply view it as 'a watch'. Any kind of branch of a chain is likely to get snooty and uppity about it, so best to avoid those. Is PT not prepared to send you a replacement dial?

Best of luck :)

Teejay....yes PT is sending me a replacement dial - no problem. However, therein lies my problem as I require soemone reputable to swop it over for me, based in the UK. Unfortunately I am relatively house bound so was hoping there would be a forum member I could post the item to for the work to be done.

Teejay....yes PT is sending me a replacement dial - no problem. However, therein lies my problem as I require soemone reputable to swop it over for me, based in the UK. Unfortunately I am relatively house bound so was hoping there would be a forum member I could post the item to for the work to be done.

Read post no. 2 in this thread. :huh:

Azerbyjam.....I tried to register with the TRC but it seems that for whatever reason I am not receiving the confirmation email (...tried everything, removing spam filters, checking spam box etc) so it will not allow me to enter the forums to contact TOMHIGHWAY unfortunately, otherwise I would certainly drop him a line.

Sorry I missed your post until now. That's great that PT is sending you a replacement dial :) I would say that if you could get the back off the watch, a dial swap is a fairly straight forward procedure, but I'm not sure how chrono pushers could complicate the procedure. Best of luck in finding someone to take care of it for you :)