When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

024a - Giving it the Vintage and Rugged Look

subzero1

I have always loved my 024A from EL, I like the sub line from panerai, and I liked the fact that the bezel did not have the hash marks between 12 and 3. The circular markers on the bezel and the circular hour markers on the dial combined with the brushed circular bezel gave this watch the feeling of being a "study in circles", which I really liked.

The one thing I was always vaguely a bit unhappy with was the fact that the case and crown were highly polished and only the bezel was brushed, giving too much of a bling effect to a watch that by design should have been strictly ruggedly masculine. Here is what it looked like before I decided to mod it:

1776450041.jpg

Definitely a good looking watch. But I thought it could be even better with an all-brushed case. Less accurate to the gen? Sure. But since I think panerai missed the boay on this one (and since there is no Ti brushed 025 reps available), I figured "why not?"

So, some time with some fine grit sandpaper, a brillo pad, and a scratch-pen, here are the results:

Wristshots006-2.jpg

Wristshots009.jpg

Wristshots008.jpg

Wristshots007.jpg

Hope you like it, I know I'm ecstatic!

[update 9/29/2007]

OK, the next step I took was inspired by BBB (that's bigbadbrad to the rest of you). He experimented with "vintaging" some of his panny dials by putting them in the oven and the rubbing them with instant coffee grounds. I really liked the look he was able to come up with, so I tried it myself.

I disassembled the watch, removed the hands, removed the dial, and put them into a non-stick baking pan and popped them into the oven at 500 degree Farenheit. 20 minutes later I pulled them all out, re-assembled everything and Voila! Here is the result:

024001-1.jpg

024004-1.jpg

024002-1.jpg

024005.jpg

024007.jpg

024008.jpg

Now I'm even happier with the watch and I have to give a big shout out to Brad for inspiring this final step.

[update 10/1/2007]

OK, I decided to knock out the icky green pearl with a screwdriver and a hammer, then I "aged" the case with the use of some force and a concrete wall and floor. Put it on an aged MP strap, and here are the results:

024009.jpg

024010.jpg

024011.jpg

024012.jpg

024013.jpg

That looks awesome :1a:

I achieved a similar vintaging effect by accident on an Omega project watch when I left it under a daylight bulb for a few hours to dry condensation from it, and the lume went the same color as you have there. Out of curiosity, does the lume still glow, or is it a reduced flourescence? I think that might well be a future project I'll have to tackle :)

Thanks! Hands still glow a little, but the dial doesn't glow at all anymore.

You're more than welcome :) I have a friend who I think would absolutely love a watch like that (he's not a real watch guy, but I know that that's 'his style')

Ahh, I wondered if that might be the case, as when I baked the lume on my Omega it hardly glowed anymore. The thing I did find interesting, was both the hands and dial received the same baking, yet the lume on the hands was untouched and remained white, but the lume on the dial and insert pearl, went an orangey yellow (and the pearl fell out :lol: )

Looks good. Wear it well. :) The outcome of the hands glowing but not the dial is very common on older tritium gens so good work on that. You do have to do something with that pearl though. It needs to be aged. I went the other way and polished everything to complete the deco look. My pet peeve are the metal bezels on the hour markers. I am likely to take a shot at removing them.

I think I'm going to take a screwdriver and a hammer to the bezel pearl and simply knock it out. I saw someone here with a 187 that had a smashed pearl and I thought it looked pretty cool.

Carefull with the hammer, you wouldn't want the shock to affect the movement (unless you strip the watch first, of course :D ) Sounds like a good plan though B)

I went ahead and smashed out the pearl, and with the help of some concrete walls, beat the hell out of the watch case as well. Put it on a very vintage looking MP strap and it looks HOT now :) I'll post pics when I get the camera back from my wife.

:thumbsupsmileyanim::1a::thumbsupsmileyanim:

I can't wait to see the results to the case :) Did you mask the crystal, or did you let that take a few knocks as well?