When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 8 days Caliber 2002 Three barrels...

ahchard

Well, my friend just dropped by my place and showed me a new rep he just purchased. He has a contact he gets watches from himself.

Anyway, he told me this guy said that this is the newest Panerai rep so he thought he would just buy it for a bit of fun. It cost him about 80usd, so pretty cheap I thought.

My first impression, it looks pretty much like a fiddy (but I am no Pam expert). However, it has a GMT hand (not adjustable), so I think it is a fantasy! The back is a glass display back showing the OP 2002 Three Barrel rep movement. Visually looks close to the genuine (from memory, I don't have a pic of the gen now but recall seeing it here somewhere), however there seems to be one problem. It will not self wind when it is worn on the wrist... it also does not wind when you shake the watch... the only way that you can get it moving is by rotating the watch. Could this be because it does not have a rotor attached? One last thing is the blue letters printed on the movement... some of them seem to have rubbed off... not a good look!

I am just about to go to bed so can't be bothered taking pics, but I will post some tomorrow.

Photos as promised:

Babola: I realise it is just a modified movt and not a real three barrel... was just saying they are trying to replicate the look of the three barrel movt. Don't worry, I would not pay money for a watch like that... :p I think this one is the rebridged asia 21j.

wristshot - this is the first time I have tried on a 47mm on my small wrists...

img6662vl2.jpg

img6663qe8.jpg

img6671bx7.jpg

img6672qx8.jpg

I believe it's a rejigged 7750, no?

I wouldn't have a clue... can't tell (I am not a movt expert).

But based on the price which is pretty cheap I would guess asia 21j? But I am not sure.

Maybe I will give it a try opening it up later this evening (if the rubber gloves method works) and have a play around inside!

Thanks ahchard for this review!

A link to the first thread about it:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=47595

No worries sssurfer!

I'd just like to add that the datewheel font on this one is terrible...

I remember the original post now... man I have terrible memory! I remember you posted about this when I received the watch yersterday, but I thought your original post was only with photos of the movt. Now I see it was the exact same watch! LOL... I even posted a reply in that thread... Need to start taking some brain supplements...

Aside from the glaring flaws (subdial placement, datefont etc.), the glaring oversight on this attempt at a PAM233 is that the gen is a 44mm Fiddy case not a 47mm. Also lacking the 'Nibbler's Fang' PR indicator, faux or not.

Even with that aesthetically-decent bridge works on the movt, I really don't think we'll see the Manifatture models evolve on the high end rep market any time soon if ever.

No worries sssurfer!

I'd just like to add that the datewheel font on this one is terrible...

I remember the original post now... man I have terrible memory! I remember you posted about this when I received the watch yersterday, but I thought your original post was only with photos of the movt. Now I see it was the exact same watch! LOL... I even posted a reply in that thread... Need to start taking some brain supplements...

No problems, ahchard.

Rather, thanks again for making it clear that this rep is 47mm.

This makes it even more inaccurate, as all the '1950' Luminor models released in 2007 are 40 or 44mm models -- with only exception for the PAM 276 i.e. the Luminor 1950 6 days tourbillon power reserve steel (a bummer).

About your brain supplements, take it easy, don't waste your money. They are essentially useless, just a deal for the pharmaceutical Houses. Rather, go spending your money on a new good rep. :D

WHERE IS THE PARALLEL PR INDICATOR?

Yes, this rep is just fantasy. <_<

And I have a bad feeling that we are never going to see a working linear PR gauge. :(

Still, good to see a sandwich dial with date. :Jumpy:

Even if the date font is the worst ever. :(

Boys, this watch is a rollercoaster! :wacko:

But it is certainly much more beautiful than ol'dirty Britney. And it still is a rep. :) Actually i prefer the rep, the PR gauge looks just plain silly on the gen, somehow lieka plastic lever...

As I said before, the gen 'Nibbler's Fang' PR is awful :yuk:

Whilst we're talking accuracy to gen, the rep is also missing the gen's (pointless?) meridian/moonphase indicator on the sub secs at 6. Also note that the gen (233) has reverted back to an anorexic crown, not as nice as the thick chunky crown we're used to seeing on the rep mini-Fiddy, 212 etc.

However, put this innacurate rep in the correct mini-Fiddy (44mm) case, sort the datewheel, and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Gen:

pam2332gg5.jpg