When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Drunk men

capt_cope

shouldn't work on watches. While sitting in a chair, though not at a desk.

Let me catch you guys up to speed, as my eyes need a rest, and my knees hurt.

Yesterday my pam 111g stopped winding. As in it slipped the entire time I tried to wind it. I was angered by this and thrust the offending watch into a dark corner. Today after work I had a nice glass of Aberlour 12yr. and was reading the various forms I was on. Inspiration strikes. I remove the caseback from the pam and dis-assemble it (well I took the movt. out at least) This, having failed to fix the watch, did not please me. so I attempted to re-install the movement.

Enter Mr. Murphy...

one of those little feet that hold the movement in the case decided to move as I was attempting to screw it down. It moved, I attempted to retrieve it with my screwdriver, and it promply shot down in and amongst the gears. I shook the movt. gently tapped it, rotated it 360... all to no avail. I had another finger of aberlour. Feeling a bit more courageous given the knowledge that the watch was DEAD, I removed the biggest bridge. And sitting beneath a gear was the stinking movt. holder. I retrieved it and put the bridge back on (the wrong way) I continued to fiddle with the movement, and came to the astounding realization that if I put preassure on one of the smaller bridges I could wind the watch without slipping. I took note of the single blued screw holding said bridge in place. IT WAS LOOSE! I tightened it and voila it wound.

Somewhere in there I ran out of ice, and decided to take a swig or two of soco straight from the bottle. At this point I was feeling really kick ass, so I popped off the dial and filed down the hands, to get less of a gap between the cannon pin and the minute hand. (un-beknownst to me I also managed to knock out the gear that winds the damn watch in this process.) I put everyting back together, and gave her a test wind. nothing. no slipping, and definetly no winding. No resistance at all, infact. I tore the watch apart again. and saw a small gap where the little gear once lay. From that point until I started typing I have been scouring this room in search of that gear. For tonight I give up. perhaps tomorrow I will finaly get it together.

I've learned a few things:

don't underestimate the little things.

watches don't have loctited screws

little things and carpet don't mix

Aberlour 12 year old single highland malt scotch (double cask matured) is mighty tasty

Soco without coke or ice is fairly gross.

I should NOT quit my dayjob in favor of becoming a watchsmith.

haha thats a good story. once i get into the movement like you did i never expect it to work again.. sounds like you are close though. The Zigmeisters prob shaking his head right now...

LOL

HAH! I found the damn gear. Of course now that it's completely assembled I can't set the stinking time. Winds perfect though. Time to dive in again.

Edit

That was quick. Turns out I didn't screw down the little screw that holds down the lever that keeps the stem in place. DUH. now it functions correctly. we'll see how bad it keeps time next.

yes another edit

HOLY CRAP! The Pam LIVES! I don't know how all the cat hair and sweat isn't messing this watch up, but in the past hour or so it hasn't gained a single second. I know that's not much in the land of watches, but the LAST time I touched a movement it gained 30 seconds every 15 minutes, till it died. I think this one may be my first actual... dare I say it... REPAIR?! now I just need to mod it and all will be well.

Edited by capt_cope