When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to use a crystal press

jeroen1985

Both those tutorials/reviews are great. Thanks!

I am using a press exactly like the first one in Edge's tutorial, and I am fully appointed with it. The screw-down mechanics allows for a very controlled push action.

The only thing that I can add is: use the largest dice that fits your crystal.

Good post, Offshore, and a great book. But I think for most people (exceptions being pro watchmakers & serious modders), Edge's review is all you need. I have used 3 different crystal presses and quickly came to the conclusion (after buying 2 higher-end models before giving Edge's recommendation a try) that the model Edge recommended really is best for most jobs (I kept 1 of my other presses, which has been used only a few times in the past 2 years (mostly to close quartz watch cases (the lever-style presses are better for snap-back cases))

590795.jpg

and sold the other).

Relating to the subject of crystal installation, here's a tip for noobies like me. I just noticed that the date window was slightly off on my Sub. I remembered that the best oyster case back removal tool is a wad of tape, so I tried a tape ball on the crystal to turn it slightly. It worked perfectly.

Edited by predfan2001

Probably the point I am trying to get across, is that there is not a "one style does all" press.

Different crystal styles require different methods, eg crystal lift, (and there are even different versions/sizes of these)

So I would hate to see any new "presser" attempting to press the wrong crystal with the wrong press.

I have 6 presses, (and have disposed of 3 others) and at times still don't have exactly the right unit (which I am scouring ebay for) And I don't have one of the screw style, although I acknowledge they probably are more "multifunction"

As in a lot of tools, it may have paid to outlay more $$ on the "better" tool to start with, however I am down the track and will make do.

But without access to the sort of knowledge in the "Crystal Encyclopedia" the decision is difficult, as information on pressing is thin on the ground.

Anyone who needs info from this book, please feel free to PM. ( Please try to explain or desribe the type style of crystal being worked with.... a good list of crystal styles is at G-S Crystals)

Offshore

Does somebody know where I can buy the screwdown crystal press??

I got mine from Ofrei, but I see they are not selling it anymore.

If you do not want to spend $$$ you may try their Horotec models MSA07.110 ($97.50) or, better, MSA07.152 ($138) as well. But I have no experience on these presses.

You may find them on this page of the Ofrei site. Scroll down to about midpage.

You may also take in consideration this one from cousinsuk.

Did you already check the bay?

I was considering this one on the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Watch-Case-Back-Closin...3QQcmdZViewItem

Do you think it's a good choice?

It looks the one that I am currently using. You won't find any better cost/performance ratio. Jump on it.