When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Health issues with reps?

Nebakanezzar

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone thinks there could be any potential health risks to our hobby....other than the addiction factor?

Seeing all the bad press of manufactures in china using substandard/contaminated materials in products, I was wondering if there could be any potential issues with rep manufactures using materials that are somehow contaminated and/or can lead to potential health problems?

Having seen many a rep collector develop incurable cases of Tourettes Syndrome, I would say that yes, the inherent chance of contracting a dangerous disease clearly exists when it come to collecting these watches. Buyer Beware! :wheelchair::Jumpy:

3) There is a lot of "China bashing".

This has always bothered me. When American goods are faulty, people pipe up like there's no tomorrow and bash America. But when Chinese products are at fault, not just Mattel's but others, somehow it's gloves off for China? No. Either we (irrationally) target both or neither, when needed. As I said, it's irrational, but at least given the propensity to yell at America, it's fair.

As for the question at hand, I know of no problems YET with Rep watches themselves. However, please read my "Rash" post:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=326810

I used Cape Cod cloths, diamond paste, and leather conditioner one Sunday night, all together without gloves, and by Tuesday I looked like the Elephant Woman. My palms are peeling still -- though my hands are back to normal (thank the Good Lord), my palms look like they're aged 50. :(

Such is life. Live and learn...

The "diver's extension" on my two-tone Rolex submariner is extremely difficult to open. Once I was trying to pull it out and the little metal plate forced itself under the part of my thumb where the top (not the tip) of the fingernail meets the skin. Because it is quite thin, it sliced itself inside quite nicely like a little knife and caused some pretty surprising bleeding as a result. Of course, it was not big deal, but if I ever want to dive with my watch, I may attract the attention of some sharks. :(

Another time I was trying to adjust the time on my Full Gold Rolex President Day - Date when the hands misaligned and the watch essentially broke. I was so furious that I started screaming profane vernacular at extremely high volume. My throat was sore for several days after the incident.

The obvious mental health issues they seem to cause spring to mind, plus the epidemic of Rolexophiles fretting themselves into early graves worrying about the minutae of their subs should not be overlooked either.

Oh

And I suppose if you swallowed one - you would choke

:cc_chinese:

Rumour has it that the chinese rep factories out bid poljot on really cheap ore. Good news is that this should lower the overall cost of watches by 50%. Bad news, the foundry states they are built from 1/4 uranium tailings and 3/4 ore extracted from real estate once occupied by Chernobyl.

Take you iodine tablets boys!

Edited by TWP

It also came out that rep owners are more prone to develop skin cancer as they much more expose themselves to direct sunlight because of their watches' poor lume.

On the other hand, that prevents them from falling into Vitamine D carency as already reported for Tritium-lume owners.

The "diver's extension" on my two-tone Rolex submariner is extremely difficult to open. Once I was trying to pull it out and the little metal plate forced itself under the part of my thumb where the top (not the tip) of the fingernail meets the skin. Because it is quite thin, it sliced itself inside quite nicely like a little knife and caused some pretty surprising bleeding as a result. Of course, it was not big deal, but if I ever want to dive with my watch, I may attract the attention of some sharks. :(

Another time I was trying to adjust the time on my Full Gold Rolex President Day - Date when the hands misaligned and the watch essentially broke. I was so furious that I started screaming profane vernacular at extremely high volume. My throat was sore for several days after the incident.

I've sliced my thumbs up a treat before trying to open a Submariner diver's extension. Once it was a bit more used, it became easier to operate, but initially, it was near impossible and frankly, dangerous to operate. The diver's extension was one of the key features that made me start viewing Omega as a better engineered watch than Rolex.

"I can fortell that you will have a long, varied and eventfull life....

Now let me read your palm....

Oh

I see you aready have!"

:D

I would post a photo of my palms, save for the fact that they're now quite horrid, and I fear the RWG palmists who could tell me I am going to croak at 53. :(

Weirdly, my left palm is more wrinkled than the right, though I am right-handed...I hate Cape Cod cloths!!

Guest watchbuff

A gemeral warning, repairing or mdding your sub could cause you to go cross-eyed without a strong magnification loupe.

Also staring at your lovely rep or even gen could cause retinal damage from all things shiny! :lol:

Health issues from reps?!

One might have to be careful not to break one's lovely (false) red nails on one of those Panerai double deployant clasps.

Let me correct your last statement:

"One might have to be careful not to break one's lovely (real) red nails on one of those Cartier double deployant clasps."

Trust me. Gen or Rep -- Cartier's are a pain.