When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do you think of the pam's with power reserve?

agepag

So I am going to be getting my first rep, and Omega Planet Ocean chrono 45mm with the orange bezel, but I really like the look of the Panerai, especially with the power reserve, so what do you guys think of the 090, 124, 125 models? Which should I be looking at? Pam111 has some pretty good prices on them, but I really don't know to much on how good these reps compare to the original. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks

IMHO, the 7750 Power Reserve reps are ones to stay away from if you are concerned with accuracy. The movement does not have the full functionality of the gen movement. It does have power reserve but in order to allow for date change they had to add a button to the side of the case which does not appear on the gen so it is an instant giveaway. If you are determined to go with Power Reserve go with 2892-a2 based 27 or 28. But they are far more expensive. Manual watches are going to be more accurate.

True fanatic of PR PAM here (027x2, 028, 090, 125).

The 027 and 028 with 2892-A2 movement are those that you can bring as close to the gen as possible (datewheel and cyclops swap required).

The 090 and 125 are more than decent if you replace the case (naturally giving up with the quick date change function).

The best bang for the price is a Silix' 027 at 80 USD.

I have a PAM 090 and there are just 2 things that, over time, have come to bother me a bit.

First, the date pusher on the side...as kruzer mentioned before, it's not there on the gen so it's a dead give-away.

Second, the power reserve indicator will fall below zero when not charged and past 40 if fully charged. If you have a watch that is dead-on on the zero or 40, it's opposite will not be...if you know what I'm trying to say.

I find the power reserve on mine is accurate - it stops at zero and 40, not dropping below or going above.

Have you concidered the 027a that river has with the 2892-A2 movement same as gen? Its pricey but as far as a accurate P.R. pam is concerned maybe this is what your after. River only has 4 more, they'll never be made again. The last 4 left forever!

So, did you buy one? 73's.... Tim

Congrats to agepag on his two first reps.

About the '45 hrs' :lol: power reserve on the 090, there is an easy (even if partial) fix.

Fully wind the watch until the PR arrow goes to its max above the 40 hrs limit, then remove the PR arrow and place it back by making it pointing correctly to the 40 hrs limit.

Now the arrow will go below 0 when the watch is completely out of charge, but this makes for a less annoying flaw as it becomes apparent only when you are not wearing the watch.

I did it on my 090 and it works perfectly.

• 5 months later...

sssurfer,

Where did you get the case for the Pam 90 (without the recessed pusher for date)?

I'm going to ask the dealer if he has one.

This is the 21J so I'm unsure which case will fit, or if they are all the same size.

Thanks

True fanatic of PR PAM here (027x2, 028, 090, 125).

The 027 and 028 with 2892-A2 movement are those that you can bring as close to the gen as possible (datewheel and cyclops swap required).

The 090 and 125 are more than decent if you replace the case (naturally giving up with the quick date change function).

The best bang for the price is a Silix' 027 at 80 USD.

sssurfer,

Where did you get the case for the Pam 90 (without the recessed pusher for date)?

I'm going to ask the dealer if he has one.

This is the 21J so I'm unsure which case will fit, or if they are all the same size.

Unfortunately, I did not replace the case. :(

Both ajoesmith and I have been running an extensive search on what case may fit, but we found none yet. It look as another holy grail of reps.

The movement in the 090 (as well as in any PAM rep with PR @ 5hr) is not the so called Asian auto 21J, it is the Seagull ST 2530 (lately renamed TY 2530), or a copy of it. That is a monster movement more than 7mm thick. :(

I am pretty confident that if the chinese factory making the 090 case woud make a modified version of it without the date pusher, they would sell it quite well.

Surfer did you know the ST2530 is back on the seagull website, check it out http://www.tjseagull.com/Product.asp?BigCl...T25%CF%B5%C1%D0

Great find, joe! Thanks!!

weird that on seagulls site, the power reserve hand for the 2530 is not designed to go below 0,

yet on many of the pam222's it does!

Uhm, the problem seems to arise from the PR hand having a wider range than that on gen PAMs.

So, it's up to you to choose whether you prefer it going below 0 or over 40 (if you remove the PR hand and place it back a little rotated counterclockwise, you will have it going below 0 when the watch is near out of charge, instead of having it going over 40 when it is fully charged).

Personally, I find it more annoying to go over 40, as on usual wrist wearing it is never supposed to go completely out of charge i.e. below 0.

So I replaced the PR hand the way I told.

Personally, I find it more annoying to go over 40, as on usual wrist wearing it is never supposed to go completely out of charge i.e. below 0.

totally agree, sssufer! i find the movt winds so effeciently its never reading below 40 unless left alone for at least 3 hours.