When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Just Had to Make You PAMANIACS Jealous

Watchmeister

I was over at Christie's yesterday previewing their upcoming auction next week and having them look at a piece for possible sale and did I get a pleasant surprise. One of the pieces up for auction was the infamous Kampfschwimmer with a $70-100k estimate. You can see it on Christie's auction site. I was wearing a PAM at the time and chatting with the head of the watch department and she (see there is hope Victoria) insisted on showing it to me. So I can say with a straight face that I have studied and WORN a Kampfschwimmer. Life is grand. And the department head was even nice enough to send me home with the catalog. :)

By the way if there is any doubt as to who has the far and away best version of the 364 it is not Davidsen nor the larger manufacturers' versions. It is Kenzo's extinct 3646 version. Case and bezel proportion are fabulously close. They do require polishing and a little narrowing in the corners though. Dial and hands are 99% there as well. Crystal profile is excellent as well. Kenzo even got the buckle finish and size correct. Of course there are vast differences in the various 3646's made but the one in my hands matched beautifully. There is a Cortebert in my 3646's future. :D When I do get the movement I will post pictures.

I was over at Christie's yesterday previewing their upcoming auction next week and having them look at a piece for possible sale and did I get a pleasant surprise. One of the pieces up for auction was the infamous Kampfschwimmer with a $70-100k estimate. You can see it on Christie's auction site. I was wearing a PAM at the time and chatting with the head of the watch department and she (see there is hope Victoria) insisted on showing it to me. So I can say with a straight face that I have studied and WORN a Kampfschwimmer. Life is grand. And the department head was even nice enough to send me home with the catalog. :)

By the way if there is any doubt as to who has the far and away best version of the 364 it is not Davidsen nor the larger manufacturers' versions. It is Kenzo's extinct 3646 version. Case and bezel proportion are fabulously close. They do require polishing and a little narrowing in the corners though. Dial and hands are 99% there as well. Crystal profile is excellent as well. Kenzo even got the buckle finish and size correct. Of course there are vast differences in the various 3646's made but the one in my hands matched beautifully. There is a Cortebert in my 3646's future. :D When I do get the movement I will post pictures.

Wow, what an experience. Jealous indeed! Looking forward to movement pics too...