When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

whats up with all the tourbillon watches

llsteve80

And what is the point of the tourbillon by the way? I see them all over the place and they look ok, but dang are they expensive. Does this thing have any practicality or is it just a gimmick? All I can find on here is that they're a pain to service. I'll take a cool shiny skeleton watch over these things any day.

A tourbillon is a type of mechanical clock or watch escapement invented in 1795 by A. Breguet that is designed to counter the effects of gravity, which can affect the accuracy of a chronometer. This is accomplished by mounting the escapement in a rotating frame, so that the effect of gravity cancels out when the escapement is rotated 180

I see, since I never saw one in person I didn't know that it rotated, it just looked like you could see the mechanics thru the dial, but knowing that it actually rotates makes it more interesting. No wonder they're so much more than others. I read The Zigmeister's post of how it took 10hrs to assemble one, wow! I guess it's something that you hope works for a long time since it would be expensive to fix. Now I want one. Dang.

I'm guessing the low priced ones like this orkina are mock tourbillon? ebay item #170157948646

Edited by llsteve80

Go to youtube.com, search on "tourbillon" and you'll find several videos that show a tourbillon in motion. Very cool... and beautiful to behold.

(I tried to post links to a few, but apparently I need to review the instructions on how to add youtube links to posts. Simply using the YouTube button didn't do the trick.)

Narikaa can probably source you one if you are very serious about it, he is leaving for China very soon - on the 21st - and if you hurry maybe you can strike a deal with him for one. He has great quality control standards and that is an absolute necessity for these types of items. Sadly, if it breaks, I don't know anybody who can fix it in North America... nobody will even come close...... nobody will want to...

I believe that The Zigmeister does work on them, since he lists them in his current capabilities+price list doc.

When I searched tourbillon I came across a thread where The Zigmeister said it took him 10 hrs just to assemble the tourbillon. He stated that he would rather never do that again, unless maybe if he was paid by the hour.