When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SMP Chrono Thickness

kenmasters

I am thinking of getting a SMP chrono. I was wondering if the thickness of the watch bothers you or not. I read some mixed reviews. Best Rep, but thick as hell. Prefer the regular SMP as a daily watch over the chrono, etc. etc..

My personal taste is the chrono, but the thickness (16mm?) is considered above average for a watch ?

The thickness is what I love about this watch.

Really makes it noticeable to others without having to resort to bling. You do feel the heft of the watch, but sometimes that is exactly what you want.

Not really a watch to wear with a suit during the week, but great on the weekend.

How much do I love this watch? I recently dropped and broke my SMPC and was heartbroken. I have thought about it and have decided that I just have to get it fixed or buy a replacement.

The Seamaster Chrono was one of few watches I really wanted, and I was quick to buy when the replica came out. However, the thickness surprised me. It felt like the watch was not properly balanced on the wrist.. I sold it, and were much happier with the thinner TAG Heuers; Link and Carrera.

But, I have just bought another. :) Will give it a second try. It is one of the best Omega reps! In the end it is all down to personal taste.

By the way, the thinnest chronos are the Seagull ST 175 manual wind powered chronograps as in the vintage Daytonas and some Omegas.

The thickness is the biggest draw on this watch for me. That's exactly what makes it so "macho". But once again, I think watches like this require a big, or at least moderately sized wrist to look good.

I've had an SMP chrono for a couple of months now. If you wear long sleeve dress shirts with or w/o cuffs, this watch is so thick it will barely fit under snug sleeves. Loose sleeves are okay. The weight of the watch prevents me from wearing the bracelet loose, as I prefer. It must be snug on the wrist or it flips around too easily. Beautiful watch, though:

SMPssidebyside3.jpg