When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam cyclops

k2222

If you can get it up to gen spec I'm in. The usual issues include bezel height, movement and dial height versus gens and gens reputedly having cyclops drilled into the crystal to achieve the same magnification. Your other issues will include different models (of gen) having different diameter and magnification depending on model as well as some recent subs and other reps resorting to sapphire/mineral sandwich dial in which case you have to pry apart the mineral glass from the sapphire and then fit the new cyclops in the same hole. Not trying to discourage you. Just want to alert you to the limitations.

If you can get it up to gen spec I'm in. The usual issues include bezel height, movement and dial height versus gens and gens reputedly having cyclops drilled into the crystal to achieve the same magnification. Your other issues will include different models (of gen) having different diameter and magnification depending on model as well as some recent subs and other reps resorting to sapphire/mineral sandwich dial in which case you have to pry apart the mineral glass from the sapphire and then fit the new cyclops in the same hole. Not trying to discourage you. Just want to alert you to the limitations.

Agreed, but if you can do it, I am in!

everything is possible it's just depends on price, now i got to check specific dimmensions of gen cyclops

Dimentions, as well as mag power i.e. focal lenght (FL), vary in the different models.

Diameter is between 6mm and 7mm -- 6mm for the earlier models (A-C series), 7mm for the most recent models (F- series and on).

Mag power is lower for the 2892-A2 models (that have an additional lens on the movement date window) and models with a higher rehaut. On those models you can get as high on FL as 11-12mm.

On the contrary, you need a higher mag power (shorter FL) on models with short rehaut and no attitional lens, e.g. the 029 and 063. On these models you will need to go as low on FL as 8-9mm.

You will find that getting a short FL is more difficult on 7mm diameter cyclops.

You will also find that higher magnification is very likely to give cushion distortion. In order to get rid of distortions while still retaining good magnification you will have to go to aspheric lenses, as chieftang already pointed out. And, more precisely, sapphire aspheric lenses (don't expect to get enough mag power with glass cyclops). Making aspheric sapphire will prove costly.

(You can use glass only if your cyclops is thin so to enhance its distance from the date window so to get higher magnification. Machine-made cyclopses can't go below 0.3mm of unuseful thickness, so you can use glass only if you thin it manually on post-production).

Like kruzer I am not trying to discourage you. But chieftang, archibald and I already got a long way on our attempts to provide enhanced cyclops and I am just trying to let you benefit from what we all already discovered.