When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any good Ulysse Nardin's around?

ironmarshal

I absolutely love the Ulysse Nardin watches, but there don't seem to many reps around for this brand. Does anybody know why this is? In particular I'm really interested by the Maxi Marine line. If you know of where I can fine them I'd appreciate a pointer.

I haven't seen any good ones at all. I like the brand too, but I guess they're not mainstream enough for the repmakers to bother with.

• 1 month later...

ironmarshal,

I, too, am a huge fan of Ulysse Nardin watches. Overall, I think they are the most beautiful watches I've ever seen. They seem to have a very rare and enigmatic blend of styling features which makes them both very unique and stunningly beautiful. They have masculine, modern and classical features all blended wonderfully into a magnificent overall effect. I love the skeleton hands, blue, gold & rose color combos, mix of materials (rubber & metal ... like Hublot), classic dials/indexes/bezels, etc.

A few of my favorites are the GMT/perpetual limited 42mm(gold/leather), sonata cathedral, and Maxi-marine chronograph. The marine series is truly beautiful and the special editions are stunning (eg the Freak).

BTW ... I was BLOWN AWAY when I saw UN's "Trilogy of Time" collection. These are the most unique and creative watches I've ever seen. They make "grand complications" seem mundane by comparison. Unreal.

I wish I could afford a Marine Chronograph, I love that watch. Maybe someday a replica will be available for us financially-challenged watch lovers! : )

I asked this same question, some years ago, as I am also a U.N. fan. It seems the complexity of style is too much for the rep makers...however, I have seen a few reps. None of which I would have purchased. They were quite cheap looking and easy to tell knock offs.

We'll keep looking, I guess.

What makes them so difficult to copy? Any enlightening info for a noob would be appreciated.

That might explain why the only ones I see offered are the fairly simple models.

Most of our reps are based on the same mechanical movements: ETA (2824, 2836, 7750 'Vajoux', 6497 'Unitas') , Asian Venus 175 'Lemania' copy and some affordable Chinese 21 jewel movements .

Rep makers don't like to invest in copying/developing new movements. They prefer to use the stock they already have so they only have to replicate the dial, hands and case. However, since ETA have decided to stop selling movements to third parties in a couple of years, there is a trend of rep makers looking for alternatives. The first results are the Asian 7750, which lead to the explosive releases of new reps last year, the Asian 6497 as seen on the latest handwound PAMs and the Asian 2824.

Most of the UN watches have movements with a completely different design than the current movements used by the rep makers. That's why you don't find them repped.

Hope that answers your question.